water in fuel

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
water in fuel
after getting it running again this morning , on the way to work it popped up with the 'water in fuel' light... but only came on for about 30 seconds and then went back off.

is this anything to worry about? is there anything i can do about it or is it just something that will just sort itself out?

cheers
Thanks given by:
There's a little bleed screw on the front of the fuel filter, might still have a clear pipe attached. Just undo that slightly and that will drain off any water in the filter Smile
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(31-01-2014, 09:27 AM)THE_Liam Wrote: There's a little bleed screw on the front of the fuel filter, might still have a clear pipe attached. Just undo that slightly and that will drain off any water in the filter Smile

brilliant mate , you're a star Smile , its probably worth squeezing the grenade after i've done this i'm guessing?
Thanks given by:
It could also be the sensor. Both of mine do it now and then it pops on and goes off again. I just drain it every 6k / couple months as a precaution
Thanks given by:
(31-01-2014, 09:38 AM)LewisG306 Wrote:
(31-01-2014, 09:27 AM)THE_Liam Wrote: There's a little bleed screw on the front of the fuel filter, might still have a clear pipe attached. Just undo that slightly and that will drain off any water in the filter Smile

brilliant mate , you're a star Smile , its probably worth squeezing the grenade after i've done this i'm guessing?

I wouldn't bother pal, you're only letting liquid out, no air can get it Smile
Thanks given by:
Can I throw a spanner in the works. Sometimes nothing comes out. If nothing can go in to replace it, it doesn't drain properly. Best bet is to loosen top of the housing to break the seal. Obviously air will get in.

The way I do it is loosen bolts, open drain while squeezing grenade, squeeze it about 5 times, tighten bolts for the top, then squeeze about 3 times, then keep squeezing while closing drain, then squeeze till grande is firm. I've never had so much as a splutter when starting.
Thanks given by:
I've never needed to do that, usually the trickle that comes out is all the water. Could even try opening the screw and pumping the grenade, the pressure should push it out.
Thanks given by:
slacken the allen keys---you have to allow air in the top so that that the vacuum caused by trying to drain will be removed.
open the drain to let stuff out.
shut drain, pump grenade, secure lid and start.

filters are cheap so I just change them while I am there anyway ?
Thanks given by:
No need to strip it down the screws there for a reason
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
I never even realized a d turbo had a 'water in fuel' light? Smile
Blaze '6 and Blaze D-turbo!
Thanks given by:
(01-02-2014, 02:39 PM)Mitch Wrote: I never even realized a d turbo had a 'water in fuel' light? Smile

Pretty sure it's only Ph1s that do
Thanks given by:
Nope, phase 2s as well, mine has one. It's a very early phase 2 though.
Thanks given by:
(01-02-2014, 05:41 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Nope, phase 2s as well, mine has one. It's a very early phase 2 though.

Maybe my blaze has one then, it's a 97 p reg..
Blaze '6 and Blaze D-turbo!
Thanks given by:
Look on the back of the fuel filter housing toward the battery side should see a circular sensor with a square plug going to it if it Dosent have it you won't get a light as that's the sensor
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Just before we all tell the poor chap to dismantle the fuel filter housing...

Open that screw and give the primer a quick pump and it will push out any fluid at the bottom of the housing...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I'd still suggest opening the top. 2 minute job I usually do in asda car park while she's shopping
Thanks given by:
sorry i havent got back , i did it last friday. Just loosened that screw by about a quarter of a turn and pumped grenade at the same time.

The light has gone off and stayed off now.
Thanks given by:
Some have the sensor some dont, seems pretty random in general.

As Ruan said, just open the screw, two pumps on the primer and any water will be out Smile No need to disturn the already dodgy enough / problematic XUD fuel filter seal!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by: