Little bit of blue smoke

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Little bit of blue smoke
I'm not sure if it's anything to really worry about and you can usually only see it in the night but i have noticed that my car (betsy) is chucking out a little blue smoke but it's not using hardly any oil, Anyone got any idea's ?.
Thanks given by:
If it's chucking out blue smoke it is burning oil
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
All the time or only when cold and for a few seconds? If it's only when cold and doesn't last long I probably wouldn't worry too much, just keep an eye on your oil level.
Current Car: Lexus CT200h 1.8 138, 2013, 19,500 miles
Previous Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140, 2005, 136,000 miles
Previous Car: Peugeot 306 XLdt (stock!), 150,000 miles (I miss this car Sad)
Thanks given by:
she's not using much oil that's what's confusing me i haven't had to top up the oil since i had the oil changed back in august at the start of the month. mind you they did put to much oil in and it's still over the max notch on the dip stick now.
Thanks given by:
That's not good for the engine. You need to drain some of it out otherwise your oil pressure is going to be too high risking blowing seals etc. Worst case you could end up with a run away engine and you do not want that!

How far above max is it? If it's 1-2mm I wouldn't be too concerned, any more and I would drain some out.
Current Car: Lexus CT200h 1.8 138, 2013, 19,500 miles
Previous Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140, 2005, 136,000 miles
Previous Car: Peugeot 306 XLdt (stock!), 150,000 miles (I miss this car Sad)
Thanks given by:
(30-01-2014, 01:49 PM)andywhy Wrote: That's not good for the engine. You need to drain some of it out otherwise your oil pressure is going to be too high risking blowing seals etc. Worst case you could end up with a run away engine and you do not want that!

How far above max is it? If it's 1-2mm I wouldn't be too concerned, any more and I would drain some out.

it's maybe 2 maybe 3 mm above the max mark.
Thanks given by:
I'd be draining it. Too much oil is as bad as not enough. When i got mine I had all sorts of issues, mainly oil in the air filter, turned it oil was about 4mm higher than Max oil changed, now sweet as a nut. Lucky there was no further damage I only did a couple hundred miles like that. Half hour job, £20, might as well get your hands dirty and get it done mate
Thanks given by:
This is strange but my car is no longer chucking out blue smoke Undecided no idea why it just stopped lol i'm not complaining though. :-)
Thanks given by:
Possibly because the oil has been forced through to a point where the pressure isn't excessive anymore. There are other issues than burning it off. The crank shaft can froth it up and it will lose its lubricating abilities causing high wear over a period of time. I'd still strongly strongly suggest you ensure correct levels
Thanks given by:
(12-02-2014, 12:28 PM)firemoth Wrote: Possibly because the oil has been forced through to a point where the pressure isn't excessive anymore. There are other issues than burning it off. The crank shaft can froth it up and it will lose its lubricating abilities causing high wear over a period of time. I'd still strongly strongly suggest you ensure correct levels

Yea i will do the oil change myself this time round.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Blue Smoke KilianManning 10 3,240 28-09-2015, 11:44 AM
Last Post: KilianManning
  Any descent mechanics blue smoke? blinkyeatu 22 4,627 31-08-2015, 06:44 PM
Last Post: blinkyeatu
  Light blue smoke Nathan1305 5 1,678 26-02-2015, 01:36 PM
Last Post: Seb_Ryan