49mpg?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
49mpg?
I put £20 in and got ~160 miles which i believe equates to 49mpg if i can do maths, i consider myself a careful driver who doesn't drive particularly fast, about 120 miles were driven on the motorway in stupid 50mph average speed checks with the rest in an urban environment.
I'm worried this is a bit low? as this car can do 65mpg, especially the way i drive i'd expect 50+ easily.
The car has recently been serviced, am i just being paranoid or is something likely wrong with the car?
Thanks given by:
Its a 12 year old car, its not going to have the same figures from factory, and doubt that they ever did 65mpg
May be in perfect test condition.....
I usually get 30mpg in mine, but i do drive like a loon...
Thanks given by:
Thats pretty good going imo

What wheels/tyres you got? Pressures correct? Did you use the AC at all?

Ive never known hdi manage 60 or more
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
50mpg is about right for a HDi tbh.... You wont manage over 60 unless you sit on the motorway, slipstreaming at 56mph for hours lol...
Thanks given by:
49 sounds good to me too, i get about 40 in my xud mixed driving
Thanks given by:
49mpg with that kind of mix is fine, especially with the weather we've got at the moment.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Id be happy with that the way I drive lol
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
As above, most HDi's seem to be around 50mpg average driven half-sensibly and the current cold weather (and thus prolonged warm up) does impact economy a little.

However, I'm not convinced that measuring fuel economy based on putting a set amount of fuel in is the best way to go about it as that opens up too many variables IMO. Best way is to brim the tank, drive until it's nearly empty and brim again, ideally averaging over several tanks.

For what it's worth, the average of my HDi hatch is 50.5mpg over the last 48k miles. Steady motorway driving going to Munich and back a couple of years back gave ~55mpg, so I would treat that as the highest that you'll likely realistically get without actively trying to drive in an economical manner.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
As above thats not unreasonable.

Think my HDi is averaging the low 40s at the moment with about 50/50 motorway and town.

Check your tyre pressures, make sure your egr isn't leaking, you don't have a boost leak, your cat isn't getting blocked and your MAF is perfect and you might get a couple more MPG

It is possible to get 60mpg+ MPG but it really is 60mph on the motorway in a well maintained car on a summers evening
Thanks given by:
Thank you for your replies. Can stop worrying that somethings wrong with the car! Well something wrong with the engine, theres lots wrong with the car.
Got cyclones, cant remember the tyre profile. The pressures will be good, i have to keep checking them cus theres a slow leak on one of them.

Was worrying might be something to do with the exhaust, when i start the car theres a horrible knocking noise coming from the exhaust. Like its knocking against something when the engine bounces into life, the rear rubber mounts on the backbox recently gave way, had to replace them, doubt new stiff rubber mounts would make the noise. Do 306s have a middle mount on the exhaust? guess that might have come out.
Thanks given by:
Do you get the same noise if you step on and off the accelerator suddenly? If so its your engine mounts, probably top or bottom.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: