Cutting out issue NOW WITH CODES

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cutting out issue NOW WITH CODES
Hi guys got a issue at the minute with the car cutting out mainly in 3rd and 4th near top end of rev range. Arron had this when he had the car but it's done it 4 times today and it's annoying now. Car is currently on a stage 2 map. Also when the car cuts out it won't start straight up of the car or bump off only seems to work when I remove the key and lock/ unlock the car then try and she fires up.
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
I would guess at either the relay for the lift pump or else the high pressure pump.

My car was cutting out like mad with a bigger lift pump.installed and new fuel filter etc, turned out an r70 pump solved is
Thanks given by:
Possibly an imobiliser issue if your having to do all that with the key?
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Don't think the car would run then cut out at certain revs with an immobiliser fault, think its just coincidence about the key thing.

When mine was cutting due to high pressure pump it wouldnt start immediately, I had to wait and sometimes a few turns of the key before it would fire.
Thanks given by:
Definitely a pump or pickup issue.
JP
Thanks given by:
Start with a new fuel filter then go from there.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Arron had a thread up about this where he'd already done a fair bit of chasing the issue iirc, if you can find that it'll save a lot of time.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I have found the thread. I'm going to get a dt pick up unit and see how she goes then
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
No, you need the lift pump lol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Can put an inline pump on it surely? Seems like a good shout for modification on these as would eliminate the 'turning & cutting' issues
Thanks given by:
(26-01-2014, 06:01 PM)Poodle Wrote: No, you need the lift pump lol.
Witch bit?
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
You need the pump in the hdi in tank unit.

What arron was goung to do was get the dt pickup, and an inline pump. Which means you put a pump on the fuel lines, this is the hard way to do it but people like jammapic say it may be the way forward. What I would do (if your going for big power) is get an r70 high pressure pump and an uprated lift pump for the in tank housing.

I used an APS punp and done a guide on here, its a worthwhile mod as mine no longer has cutting out issues.
Thanks given by:
(26-01-2014, 06:37 PM)mcglynn Wrote: Can put an inline pump on it surely? Seems like a good shout for modification on these as would eliminate the 'turning & cutting' issues

It wouldn't make a difference to the cutting out issues, the pick-up would still be in the same place, so cornering hard right would still starve it of fuel.

(26-01-2014, 07:18 PM)karl1989 Wrote: Witch bit?

The lift pump is what the hdi has where the xud has a pick-up. It's needed to pump fuel up as the hdis dont have a vane pump on the hp pump.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Aye but on the dt pump you can run a pipe to a rail in the fuel tank or whatever setup u want really, so essentially you COULD eliminate the issue
Thanks given by:
Eh? Lost me there bud, a rail in the fuel tank? How are we getting a dt pump involved?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
The dt doesnt have a pump, just an in tank pick up.

So run a pipe from the floor of your tank, or even a rail accross your tank, to an inline fuel pump, then to your fuel filter housing.
Thanks given by:
I'm so confussed it's unreal. Sorry guys am new to HDI as I've have Xud for the last god knows how many years. I am wanting to go for the r70 pump that's a definate. I was told to get a pick up u it from a DT and use the pick up but with the hdi top half if this makes sence
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
Not sure what way that means as id havd to see both and look at them.

The r70 will be a winner if your going stage 2. If your standard r65 is tired it will cut out.
Thanks given by:
I'm already at stage 2 Smile. 154 bhp
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
Aye get yourself an r70 on it
Thanks given by:
Karl, could you link the old thread of arrons please, i'll read through it later and see what I can work out for you.

Exactly, so I dont understand how you think the dt pick up would help. So you're talking about a piece of perforated pipe all the way across the tank so it's effectively got multiple pick ups? I should think we would still get the same problem as the pump would air up if any of the holes were exposed to air, might be worth a try though...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Only can find this one

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-14023.html

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-6178-page-8.html
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
(27-01-2014, 06:58 AM)Poodle Wrote: Karl, could you link the old thread of arrons please, i'll read through it later and see what I can work out for you.

Exactly, so I dont understand how you think the dt pick up would help. So you're talking about a piece of perforated pipe all the way across the tank so it's effectively got multiple pick ups? I should think we would still get the same problem as the pump would air up if any of the holes were exposed to air, might be worth a try though...

Ahhh, yeah you have a point! Unless this was used initially to lift to a bowl of some sort then a feed taken from. It to eliminate air induction.

Its all a bit far fetched as its been proven an upgraded lift pump will suffice lol!
Thanks given by:
The upgraded lift pump won't have helped the starvation issue either. A small baffled section with a 1-way trapdoor would do it though.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Sure the in tank pump has a one way valve on it anyhow, once the fuels in there it will only go to your lift pump
Thanks given by:
Was told this could be crank shaft sensor. Someone local said there 307 did same and it cured it
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
The in tank pump and the lift pumpare the same thing.

It could be down to cam/crank synchronisation, but that normally causes starting issues too. Best way to find out is ti get it on pp.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ok just a thought. Car has cut again a few times and the only way it seems to start again is to lock the car then unlock the she seems to fire up but it is bringing the engine management light up when re started
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
Cut again and now it's taking ages to start

Cannot get high rev range in 2nd without it cutting now
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
This issue can be due to several things, such as starvation from the low pressure system, blocked fuel filter or lack of pressure from the high pressure pump.

Most commonly the fuel pressure regulator is the cause of the problem,but here's a snippet from the FAQ section on my new site:
"There are several fault conditions at which the ECU is programmed to shut down the engine. The most common cause of this is due to the fuel pressure demand not being met: If the fuel pressure measured is more than 250 Bar below the requested set point, the ECU will shut down and store a fault code (P0230).

This can happen when the fuel pump is worn out (usually on high mileage cars) or the injectors are leaking fuel through. Other conditions at which the engine will be shut down for 10 seconds are when the fuel pressure regulator duty cycle reaches 97% or if the fuel pressure drops at a rate of higher than 1000 bar per second. This causes a shut down as the ECU will think there is a fuel leak.

99% of the time this problem can be fixed for free by removing the fuel pressure regulator from the right side of the fuel pump and giving it a clean. (Be careful to avoid damaging the O-rings with your cleaning fluid. Also the two Torx screws holding in the fuel pressure regulator are made of a very soft metal. Be sure to get your tool square on before attempting to loosen.)

Another common problem on the HDI is the low pressure lift pump. This can become blocked up or worn and and fail to supply enough fuel to the high pressure pump. If you're having problems get in touch and I will advise on the best course of action."

I have found that on heavy stage two tunes there are other things that can be altered in the software, I've not had any cutting out for about a year now since figuring this out, except if the pump is excessively worn...
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Multiple HDI ECU error codes allye 16 2,807 29-06-2016, 04:01 AM
Last Post: Paul_13
  2001 Hdi estate Fault codes lordon301 8 2,268 02-02-2015, 07:46 AM
Last Post: Poodle
  Fault Codes P0221 & P1521 Alan_M 4 2,290 17-09-2014, 01:06 PM
Last Post: mr_fish