loud turbo whistle

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
loud turbo whistle
Recently I have noticed my turbo is very very loud when on boost now I've checked all the intercollegiate piping and there doesn't seem to be any splits or rips or gaps but I've also gone from running 12 psi to 10 psi is the turbo on its way out or is it worth checking the pipes again ? Other than the noise and loss if psi it still pulls and drives well and no horrible colours coming out of the exhaust
Thanks given by:
probably just a boost leak mate put fairy liquid and water on the joins and see if it bubbles
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Yeah will have another look when it's dry
Thanks given by:
Does it sound like a whistle or a whining noise?

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
I can only describe it as it sounds like a truck/lorry turbo spooling up
Thanks given by:
Does it sound like a siren?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Not quite just sounds like a fook off huge turbo spooling
Thanks given by:
boost leak id say if it sounds like a siren/hoover/washing machine ect its fecked.

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Just sounds like the turbo did before just really loud I guess is the best I can describe it, I'm assuming if the trunk is shagged itl be sperting smoke and all sorts ??
Thanks given by:
12psi is less then stock, now at 10psi....

sounds like a leak getting worse.

Even when my kkk was on its way out, it screamed, it was still holding 24psi strong
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Thought standard they are between 10 and 14 ?
Thanks given by:
standard is 13psi or maybe 14 cant remember what one.

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Was gunna say 24 is high for a standard hdi got me worried then
Thanks given by:
(25-01-2014, 07:59 PM)Jukie88 Wrote: Was gunna say 24 is high for a standard hdi got me worried then

should be around 14psi standard, but I'm saying even a knackered turbo thats screaming like a pig should hold boost....and that was my example.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Ahhhhh ok im with you will get the frot end off again when it's a little dryer and wack some fairy liquid on the joins see what's goin on
Thanks given by:
Thread moved to the correction section. The thread is for general banter and this is a HDI engine related issue.
Thanks given by:
[THUMBS UP SIGN]
Thanks given by:
Ok so it had now started to sound like a washing machine as mentioned above I'm guessing terminal ?
Thanks given by:
Yea it's f*cked in a word

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(19-02-2014, 10:26 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: Yea it's f*cked in a word

Hi mate. Do you let your engine idle for a couple of mins after stopping? All turbos spin a lot faster after use,when you switch off engine it`s still spinning with no oil circulating, need I say no more. So if and when you fit a new one, let it idle for two mins, thought this would help you.
Thanks given by:
Lol that kind of solution is for the retards who rag it all the way to the front door then switch it off, and they tend to be beyond help. lol The issue isn't that the turbo is still spinning (it's driven by exhaust gas, if the engines not running its got no drive Wink ). It's that the turbo is red hot and there's no oil flow, so any oil left in the cartridge just gets cooked. Besides, it's not Danny's turbo that's the problem anyway lol.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
It's still driving and pulling fine I've lost 2psi and its not a boost leak other than that I'm just waiting for if to go tbh and replace it
Thanks given by:
A word of warning, if it goes on the inlet side it will run away on the oil and blow your engine if you don't catch it sharpish.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Boost leaks would be indicated with smoke out of the exhaust (black) as the fuel isn't being burned properly.

Sounds like the turbo is on its way out, they scream like mad when they're about to break. Could be losing psi inside the turbo
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Subscribe! - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheADKJD/videos
Thanks given by:
Tbh I haven't checked the joins to the actual turbo so could be a boost leak there Undecided just thought of that
Thanks given by:
Check for boost leaks on every possible join, my GT15 still holds 1.5 bar, because i'm a idiot lol well past its efficiency range. Still going strong for now... touch wood.
Thanks given by:
Yeah when j can get underneath it ill have a gander :-)
Thanks given by:
Check the oulet of the turbo and any places where your turbo pipes could be rubbing. Also worth checking the inlet pipes after the MAF, are these connected properly? This would make it sound like a tractor and put you down on power if the MAF wasn't reading any air flow. Just a thought...
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by:
I haven't got a maf at the mo Undecided took it off is its failed
Thanks given by:
(21-02-2014, 11:15 AM)Poodle Wrote: Lol that kind of solution is for the retards who rag it all the way to the front door then switch it off, and they tend to be beyond help. lol The issue isn't that the turbo is still spinning (it's driven by exhaust gas, if the engines not running its got no drive Wink ). It's that the turbo is red hot and there's no oil flow, so any oil left in the cartridge just gets cooked. Besides, it's not Danny's turbo that's the problem anyway lol.

Lol, lol and lol again lmao
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Loud Tapping On Start td163 15 3,627 07-12-2015, 07:14 AM
Last Post: THE_Liam
  Whistle sounding like blow off valve MY95 9 1,591 13-05-2015, 07:49 AM
Last Post: MY95
  Turbo now really loud LewisG 2 1,188 05-10-2014, 04:28 PM
Last Post: LewisG