oil problem after turbo change

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
oil problem after turbo change
so ive recently changed my turbo, and all is working fine. however ive put some new oil in but its not reading on my dipstick. ive put about 3 litres in so far as i wasnt to sure how much oil was left in the sump. after starting the car up after the new turbo was on, i left it running on idle for about 10 mins to get some oil circulation. then after it cleared itself i took it for a little spin. when i got back and parked up i noticed i had left a trail of oil. i looked under my car and it was dripping from my front subframe. im not too sure if its just the old oil running off the engine from oil spills that happened when changing the turbo. or its leaking from somewhere. its hard to tell as its now dark. any suggestions as too why its not reading on my dipstick or where the oil may be coming from. the oil coming off the subframe is very black and dirty and does not look lke fresh oil. (sorry for the lengthy thread) :/
Thanks given by:
Not reading: Not enough oil in it
Oil Leak: Damaged oil supply to the turbo, or not tightened up properly if its only just started since the turbo change.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Similar problem to what I had but my oil pored out. Did you fit a rubber washer to the oil line that goes into the block? If not probably that or leaking from the top of oil line
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
well it doesnt give a clear reading it just has a light covering all the way up the dipstick.i couldnt tell before because i had a diesel runaway due to failed turbo and thats what caused all the oil to cover the engine because one of the bolts on top of the rocker cover vibrated loose. when i took the oil feed off it didnt have a rubber washer on it. will have to check again in the daytime. just getting a bit annyoed as me car has been off the road for nearly 2 weeks
Thanks given by:
Think about it right the dip stick goes into the sump, if its not reading oil theres none in your sump. If your car ran away previously then its probably eaten most of its oil, thats why you have none. Get under there with a torch, run it up and have a look. Wont find it by guessing.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
How much does the sump hold?
Thanks given by:
4.5L springs to mind. i just keep poring till its right on the dip stick dont usually check how much i have actually put in.
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Will have to have a look to see if its leaking from anywhere, don't wanna be putting it in to then find its pissing out again. Just thought that 3 litres should at least show up on the dipstick.
Thanks given by:
Dt steel sump holds 4.5 litres Wink
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I think I've definitely got a leak, have now found out that I have left a long trail of oil on the road where I took my car for a spin after I fitted the turbo.
Thanks given by:
you definatley have a leak, it wont leave a trail if its just old oil running off the block
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Yeah I figured. That's 25 quid down the drain. Or on the road :/
Thanks given by:
Its about a litre between low and high on the dipstick...and the notch isnt that high above the bottom of the stick...so 3 litres may not register...
my bet is oil return

(25-01-2014, 07:40 PM)willJspears Wrote: Yeah I figured. That's 25 quid down the drain. Or on the road :/

should feel lucky...I have spent £100+ on oil alone since the rebuild, not inc the first 5 litres of top end oil...due to the engine preffering to run dry
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yeah, I'm hoping its something simple like a jubilee clip not being tight enough. I really like the pug, but is starting to become a bit of a pain. Will have another look and see if I can suss out the situation
Thanks given by:
Could be the oil return clips, or the feed not tightened properly, if its leaking like that its going to be dead obvious.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
okay so after having a look it seems to me that its the oil feed leaking from the block side. but its not leaking where it screws into the sump but where the metal feed pipe feeds into the screwed collet thing? also i had a look at the threads on the bolt/screw that screws into the block and they dont look cross threaded but it doesnt screw all the way into the block. any suggestiions?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Problem turbo pressure gt2056s niciou 6 2,941 30-03-2017, 06:41 PM
Last Post: niciou
Star Turbo change advice on xud ashdturb 2 1,141 19-11-2015, 06:25 PM
Last Post: ashdturb
  D turbo problem 01joelh 20 4,887 24-02-2014, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Tom