Horrible Whinne from HDI engine

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horrible Whinne from HDI engine
hi guys,

Took the car to Barnsley yesterday and twice it cut out with P0230 fuel pump circuit. Anyway it restarted fine both times but today i have come out to it and when you turn it on the noise you normally here when you flick the key on (fuel pump priming i believe) it know a terrible whinne.

I presume its the high pressure pump but i may be way off. I have included a video which may help people as id like to fix it with an mot only two weeks away.

I do apologise for the rubbish video i had to get younger help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z6LHWpHD...e=youtu.be

Thanks for all advice and help
Thanks given by:
Fuel pressure regulator? That shouldnt fail mot though, well unless it deafens the tester!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
agreeded but id like to fix it before the mot mate, got spares just wanted someone to narrow it down for me to be fair but think im in the right area
Thanks given by:
Im not exactly sure on how the hdi's work so cant really help like that.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Hmm, that's annoying lol.

I take it this is a pre-X reg HDi? If so, most squeal when the lift pump primes, but not usually that loudly tbf! I'd check the fuel filter personally, check it's clean/clear and that the pipes to it aren't laying against anything else or kinked at all, its them vibrating that causes the whine I believe.

It's not the HP pump as that is driven by the cambelt so not moving until you turn the engine over.
Thanks given by:
What year is it, pre 01 i think had a problem with the fuel supply whining then they fitted different pipes with a damper to the fuel filter to get rid of it. Maybe related. Or lift pump dieing?
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(22-01-2014, 04:45 PM)PE02KHG Wrote: What year is it, pre 01 i think had a problem with the fuel supply whining then they fitted different pipes with a damper to the fuel filter to get rid of it. Maybe related. Or lift pump dieing?

yes its pre 2001, its a V reg buddy.

I intially thought the lift pump was dying a death as it had some gold flakes in the filter housing, but the noise is only there when your first turn the ignition on and is deffinately coming from within the engine bay near the HP pump.

I believe its something related to that but havent investigated any further as of yet just wanted other peoples views. I couldnt see it being a sensor surely and thought is more likely to be the pump??

If it helps the car is know on 202k and has stage one remap on

thanks
Thanks given by:
Horrible whine you say?

Have you tried throwing the missus out of the passenger seat to see if it cures it?
Thanks given by:
(22-01-2014, 05:30 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Horrible whine you say?

Have you tried throwing the missus out of the passenger seat to see if it cures it?

As much as i wish this was the case Dum-Dum, shes banned from the car as its not her personal makeup room.

Although it made me chuckle any help buddy as id like resolve it before the mot which its going to fail....
Thanks given by:
It's not a sensor, or the HP pump.

The ONLY thing moving when you turn the ignition on is the lift pump pressuring the LP side of system. It's that causing the issue, either the pump itself dying, which is possible due to the gold flakes, high milage and cutting out, or the fuel lines themselves as my above post. When you found the gold filings, I take it you cleaned the filter housing and everything well?

Also, this isn't an MOT fail.... It's not a safety issue, so there's nothing to worry about there.
Thanks given by:
Exactly as Tom says above.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(22-01-2014, 05:34 PM)Toms306 Wrote: It's not a sensor, or the HP pump.

The ONLY thing moving when you turn the ignition on is the lift pump pressuring the LP side of system. It's that causing the issue, either the pump itself dying, which is possible due to the gold flakes, high milage and cutting out, or the fuel lines themselves as my above post. When you found the gold filings, I take it you cleaned the filter housing and everything well?

Also, this isn't an MOT fail.... It's not a safety issue, so there's nothing to worry about there.

Ah well thats what i thought but the whinning coming from within the engine bay not from the lift pump so i presumed it was the HP pump, but it doesnt make sense for it to be that.

Yes already ahead of you have a spare housing id already cleaned so swapped the bottom and cleaned everything mate.

So even though the noise is in the engine bay my first thought of the lift pump may be correct. I have another car sat here im breaking up so have all the spares as it still runs fine.

I know its not an mot failure but it needs a bit of work for the mot and want to try and get this sorted first as i dont see the point of moting it while its playing up.

Also the damper that is fitted may be being a bit silly but havent slept in 36 hours where is it located, thinking it may be this or lift pump..

thanks for the help mate
Thanks given by:
No problem, I do try to help occasionally lol.

Let us know how it goes with the lift pump from the donor car. Smile
Thanks given by:
(22-01-2014, 05:54 PM)Toms306 Wrote: No problem, I do try to help occasionally lol.

Let us know how it goes with the lift pump from the donor car. Smile

will do buddy just wondering could it be the filter / filter housing also as i have heard these whine and dont like being opened?

is it worth replacing this from the donor car too?

thanks
Thanks given by:
Personally I'd stick to one thing at a time so you know which part cures the problem.

Given the mileage, cutting out and what sounds a long time to be priming, I'd say the LP is almost certainly knackered and as you've got a spare doesn't cost anything to swap it.

As for the filter housing, I'm fairly sure it's the pipes into the housing that cause the vibrations/whine rather than the housing itself. You're welcome to give it a go though.
Thanks given by:
cheers buddy, day off tomorrow so think ill have a go at it first thing and work through and see what i can come up with, it still runs fine etc just rather annoying noise that should not be there...
Thanks given by:
Well you say it runs fine....but it cut out twice yesterday with a fuel system fault code... lol

When the pumps start to fail, they can't keep up with the high fuel demand at higher load, so it might run fine at idle or cruising, but that doesn't mean the pump is good.

Good luck for tomorrow.
Thanks given by:
Yeah i know it only does i after sharp right bends and when im in third getting upto speed or near hills..

It only just started why i want to get it resolved
Thanks given by:
That info would've been useful in the first post tbh lol.

Just checking though....you do have plenty of fuel in the tank right?
Thanks given by:
ahead of you on that one, never run it below quarter of a tank mate and it usually sits with half a tank or more in

sorry my bad on that part like a say been a long day :/
Thanks given by:
Ah that's good then, running on fumes could've caused similar issues but at least you've already ruled that out.

Get that lift pump swapped tomorrow and go from there. Wink
Thanks given by:
no worries mate will sort it and report back, thanks for the help Smile
Thanks given by:
The vibrations from the failing pump will be making the usual lift pump whine louder anyway, so with any luck swapping the pump will fix that issue too.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
alright update,

changed the lift pump, first time i turned the key it did not whinne (presume while filling back up with diesel)
anyway everytime after that it whinnes and whinnes while running too also know since driving it to the shop yesterday

thanks
Thanks given by:
another update:

decided new fuel filter and housing, which quitening it down slightly...

however decided it was the fuel lines as it hasnt got the buffer/ damper in as its an earlier model..

had a quick look at the earlier 'T' reg one i have which as obviously had the same problem and has the part fitted (bonus) so decided to remove and fit to mine..

It is dark so heres a link to what it looks like as alot of people have been asking similiar questions:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xantia-BX-Xsar...519c3ebac7

will update when fitted tonight and see what happens and maybe resolve the fault Smile
Thanks given by:
Apparently the 406 had the same problem and someone cured theirs by crimped the fuel line in two places a small distance apart and at 90 degrees to each other.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
yeah i have heard that too but havent seen anyone do it so umming and arhhing over doing it.

Anyway fitted the part to the fuel line, whinning is alot less but its still whinning.

Wondering if its worth changing all the pipes, i believe its coming from the smaller of the two pipe on the top of the filter housing..?

thanks
Thanks given by:
Still whining!? Damn. Did you try swapping the filter housing as well afterall?
Thanks given by:
got mot saturday so thought best to sort few bits for that plus the housing on the other 306 hdi is different so havent tried a completely new one yet.

The whine isnt as bad know can live with it no point messing about with it if it fails mot majorly
Thanks given by: