Seatbelts, MOT, pre tensioners

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seatbelts, MOT, pre tensioners
Couple of questions. Firstly, I currently have no N/S/R seatbelt fitted at the minute, will it fail an MOT if I still have the N/S/R seat fitted? Should I remove the seat just incase?

Secondly, I have phase 1 seats in my phase 3, the plugs for the pre-tensioners are different. Can I just connect the wires with different terminals or will it not work?
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Last time I checked Mot standards if the seat is present and was originally fitted with seat belts it has to be there, I'm not sure if you'll have issues come next mot tho if its back in
Thanks given by:
Yeah, each seat must have a seatbelt if it was originally fitted, so you will need to remove that seat.

As for the pre tensioners, that's probably a question for cully. Wouldn't chance it myself lol.
Thanks given by:
Well I doubt I will get it welded before MOT time so I can't fit the seatbelt no matter what. Need to get a new one because all of the crap from the road has got into the mechanism and jammed it! Problem with having a huge hole in the car.. Also looking for a N/S/R arch liner and they are really like gold dust at the minute.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Good luck finding an NSR liner for an estate, don't think they came with them until like '51 plate at least! Also had the same issue with my estate, and the rusty belt lol, mine didn't actually jam though!

Also, not sure if a large rusty hole will even pass the MOT? I know people say you cant see it from outside but that really depends how big the hole is lol.
Thanks given by:
One of the reasons I need a liner! Keep it hidden. The hole is quite big now i've cut nearly all the rusty bits out. Might find an O/S liner and butcher it to get it to fit!
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Ah I see haha, that's probably the best idea tbh.

OSR wont fit at all, has a long 'tail' to cover the long rear bumper, it would be the wrong way on the OSR one. You might be able to fit a hatch NSR liner as a quick bodge but obviously that wouldn't have the bumper 'tail'.
Thanks given by:
I would just cut that off, think mines got the lower bit anyway. Apart from the bottom parts the actual arch shape should be ok-ish
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Ah yeah, its just like a quarter liner and the bottom as standard, forgot about that, so you should be able to bodge one in a bit easier.
Thanks given by:
Any seat needs a belt.
As for pretensioners mine aren't connected and the bulb has gone but it passed the MOT
Thanks given by:
Airbag light, so long as doesnt stay on/flash will pass mot.

I had no airbag light or abs light and didnt even get advisories
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(21-01-2014, 09:04 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Any seat in a 306needs a belt.

Don't forget, most older cars that didn't have belts as standard don't need them by law in a MOT. Just a handy fact if you buy a classic Wink

As for pretensioners mine aren't connected and the bulb has gone but it passed the MOT

That should of failed its MOT. They SHOULD check the light comes on for the set period and goes out when you start the car.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Mine stays on because the seats aren't plugged in. That will be sorted soon.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Sorry to hijack the thread but have my own MOT question;

MOT is on saturday, I currently run an OMP rep dished wheel so no airbag in the steering wheel, should I shove a standard one on before then or will it be ok? I know the regulations changed since it was in last year.
Thanks given by:
(22-01-2014, 10:07 AM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: Sorry to hijack the thread but have my own MOT question;

MOT is on saturday, I currently run an OMP rep dished wheel so no airbag in the steering wheel, should I shove a standard one on before then or will it be ok? I know the regulations changed since it was in last year.

Depends on the mot tester, i know some would fail it, in my other car i have removed the standard wheel with air bag and fitted a sparco one with no air bag, and fitted a resistor so when you turn the ignition on the air bag light works as it should, and my mot tester was happy for me to leave the standard wheel with air bag on the passanger seat so he could see i had one, but wasn't worried about it being fitted as he knew if it was fitted as soon as i got it home it would be removed and the sparco one put back on any way.
Thanks given by:
Okay so I'm fairly sure that...

Its all about the air bag light. So you can have a omp wheel without an airbag and you can not have pretensioners fitted but you still need to stop that light from coming on which you can either do by fitting Cully's airbag resistors or soldering the build to another bulb
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spaxo seatbelts? Oil-burner 3 1,192 16-05-2012, 10:34 PM
Last Post: Oil-burner