Intermittent turbo issue.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intermittent turbo issue.
Hi guys,

having a few problems with my X Reg 2.0 HDI, couldn't find anything similar in previous posts so wonder if somebody can help...

I've had the car a few months now, it's done just under 100,000 miles. when I first bought it, it ran pretty well, but I felt there was lack of power, and a turbo 'lag' , then I started to get an issue where basically if I was in 3rd or 4th gear, and revved over 3k the car would 'stall' which is never good when you're pulling out of a lay-by on the A12....

I've googled the problem a few times, but I'm not too clued up on engines so not sure how to fix it or even what the issue is... BUT I now have a new problem... 2 weeks ago my alternator belt snapped, since then i seem to have much more power in my turbo, it kicks in quicker and runs smoother, but when i hit 4th gear, around 2k revs it goes into 'limp' mode until i reach about 2.5k revs then the turbo re-engages, it also seems to have stopped cutting out!

has anybody else had this issue, or anything similar and know what I can do to fix this... my Mot is due this coming weekend also!!

thanks,

Darren
Thanks given by:
A bit confused by some of the terminology there, some of it just doesn't sound right. Is the car actually stalling, or does it just lose a lot of power temporarily? Is it actually going into limp mode, or is it just losing power again?

Couple of things to try:

With the ignition off, unplug the maf sensor (in the pipe coming out the back of the airbox) then go for a drive and see if it feels any better.

While driving in fourth at low rpm, press the accelerator all the way down. Warning: this may cause the engine to cut out, so make sure you do it somewhere you can pull over safely.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
this is my problem, it's 2 different things, before it would literally stall, whilst driving along I'd have to turn the ignition on and off, sometimes a couple of times, but now it's a loss of power and hasn't stalled since I had the power steering issue, I don't know if that's related, or just a coincidence.

I'll try the sensor this evening when I finish work
Thanks given by:
Ah right ok, i'm with you. What power steering issue is this...?

Yeah, try both those tests and let us know how you get on.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(21-01-2014, 03:42 PM)Poodle Wrote: Ah right ok, i'm with you. What power steering issue is this...?

Yeah, try both those tests and let us know how you get on.

my alternator belt/power steering belt snapped, meaning my battery wasn't charging, got about 15 minutes out of it before it died completely, but since then, my turbo seems to be a lot more energetic!
Thanks given by:
Ah right I see, I think you're talking about th engine - a slipping aux belt will mean the alternator isn't producing charge, which causes loss of power on these engines for some reason. I presume you took the car to a garage, what did they tell you caused the snapped belt?

Ok, so if i'm deciphering this right, your only current issue is a flat spot in the power band between 2000 and 2500rpm, is that about right?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(21-01-2014, 05:39 PM)Poodle Wrote: Ah right I see, I think you're talking about th engine - a slipping aux belt will mean the alternator isn't producing charge, which causes loss of power on these engines for some reason. I presume you took the car to a garage, what did they tell you caused the snapped belt?

Ok, so if i'm deciphering this right, your only current issue is a flat spot in the power band between 2000 and 2500rpm, is that about right?

Yes, pretty much sums it up, on the drive home last night I put my foot down in 4th like you said, hit about 1800-2000rpm then hit the flat spot until about 2500rpm when the turbo kicked in... but its not even a slight flat spot, its very noticeable!
Thanks given by:
Are you sure it's an engine issue? Sounds like the clutch slipping to me!
Thanks given by:
Ok, so your fuel system is fine then, that's one option eliminated. What was the cause of the snapped belt?

How did you get on with testing the maf?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(22-01-2014, 05:46 PM)Poodle Wrote: Ok, so your fuel system is fine then, that's one option eliminated. What was the cause of the snapped belt?

How did you get on with testing the maf?

haha, I got stuck in mud on my driveway and during my attempts to get out again my belt snapped!

I haven't managed to try the maf option yet, i'll try it on my lunch break if I get a chance today, what is it i'm actually looking for? (not too good with engines) Smile

thanks
Thanks given by:
Right, but you've said you were having issues with the belt slipping before that, so clearly there's an underlying issue. Did you talk to the garage about the problems you'd been having?

The maf is as described above, literally just behind the airbox, it's right on top of everything so nice and easy to get to. Smile
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(23-01-2014, 09:16 AM)Poodle Wrote: Right, but you've said you were having issues with the belt slipping before that, so clearly there's an underlying issue. Did you talk to the garage about the problems you'd been having?

The maf is as described above, literally just behind the airbox, it's right on top of everything so nice and easy to get to. Smile

Took the maf off, made a hell of a difference, no lag etc!

The belt itself wasnt ever a problem until the day it snapped
Thanks given by:
Looks like you need a new maf then! Smile

The other symptoms you described are often caused by a slipping aux belt, which fixed themselves at the same time you replaced the belt; it's fairly unlikely those two issues are independent of each other.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
When you buy your maf, look in the traders section to see if theres a discount code you could use Wink
Thanks given by:
(23-01-2014, 09:48 PM)Poodle Wrote: Looks like you need a new maf then! Smile

The other symptoms you described are often caused by a slipping aux belt, which fixed themselves at the same time you replaced the belt; it's fairly unlikely those two issues are independent of each other.

so pretty much just bad luck that they happened together haha?!

how long can I run the car without having the maf connected, as I don't get paid until next week, and is it a mot issue, as my mot is this weekend...

thanks
Thanks given by:
Can run it forever just lose power and some mpgs.

Isnt an mot issue either Smile
Thanks given by:
Could well be, or may even have been like that for a while - they tend to die gradually so you don't notice so much if you're driving it daily.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(24-01-2014, 05:21 PM)Poodle Wrote: Could well be, or may even have been like that for a while - they tend to die gradually so you don't notice so much if you're driving it daily.

Where is the best place to pick up a new maf sensor? I had a look on Ebay and they had some for around £30 ... is that a good deal, or could that be dodgy??
Thanks given by:
I'd be inclined to buy genuine myself, depends how much they are though...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Turbo issue kinky_craig 11 1,445 21-12-2014, 09:28 AM
Last Post: cully
  Intermittent starting issue Jukie88 20 3,718 03-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Last Post: Jukie88