Fun and games connecting battery after other starter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fun and games connecting battery after other starter
Plenty of sparks Huh

I checked the connetions of the starter and they seem fine as does the battery, anyone know what's wrong....the only thing that's diffirent is the small 8mm earth on the starter, the connector snapped and put another one on, not the same quality of metal as the original, but it's an earth so wouldn't think it'd matter, as it's still earthed, or is it?

And....how the fk does the diesel filter housing come off so i can get to the connectors, as it's bloody awkward, plus there's a pipe at the bottom just next to the starter cables Angry
Thanks given by:
Filter housing just lifts up, watch yourself though as they can break.

Once you get it off the first time ull know exactly how it comes off next time haha!

Theres like a small part of the plastic that catches on the top of the bracket at the back of the housing, that with a bit of a pull will slip past it.
Thanks given by:
There are two connections to the starter - the main 12v feed from the battery which is what powers the motor itself, and the thin solenoid wire which effectively switches the starter on and off. The starter is earthed through the gearbox casing.

If you're getting a shower of sparks, are you absolutely sure that nothing is shorted out where you've been working on or near the starter? You'll get a small spark normally when reconnecting the battery as there is some low current circuits that are live without the igition on (stereo, clock etc) but that's it.

The main feed to the starter is unfused so you need to be careful!
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
(20-01-2014, 04:02 PM)mcglynn Wrote: Filter housing just lifts up, watch yourself though as they can break.

Once you get it off the first time ull know exactly how it comes off next time haha!

Theres like a small part of the plastic that catches on the top of the bracket at the back of the housing, that with a bit of a pull will slip past it.

I tried lifting it but unless it has to pulled with alot of force, it's stuck....i gave up as i don't want to break it....i thought the plastic "leg" that goes into the back of the housing somehow got prised up from the top or bottom but i cant see where

(20-01-2014, 04:05 PM)powerandtorque Wrote: There are two connections to the starter - the main 12v feed from the battery which is what powers the motor itself, and the thin solenoid wire which effectively switches the starter on and off. The starter is earthed through the gearbox casing.

If you're getting a shower of sparks, are you absolutely sure that nothing is shorted out where you've been working on or near the starter? You'll get a small spark normally when reconnecting the battery as there is some low current circuits that are live without the igition on (stereo, clock etc) but that's it.

The main feed to the starter is unfused so you need to be careful!

Something must be shorted but don't know what or where, like i say, the only thing (to my knowledge) is reconnecting the earth cable with a diffirent ring connector.....i'm scared to try it again as i hate working electrics (especially starers)
Thanks given by:
The tab mcglynn has described shouldn't be easy to pull past, but stick a screwdriver down between the housing and the bracket as you lift and it'll slip right out.

Where did you get the sparks from?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Cheers....will try that

The battery terminals when connecting them, it didn't matter what way round i did, it was alot of sparks, like i say, the only diffirent thing i did was to put another earth connector on the thinner cable....god knows what i did
Thanks given by:
(20-01-2014, 07:13 PM)stu9 Wrote: Cheers....will try that

The battery terminals when connecting them, it didn't matter what way round i did, it was alot of sparks, like i say, the only diffirent thing i did was to put another earth connector on the thinner cable....god knows what i did

Thats the switchable live.. you haven't actually earther it have you?
Thanks given by:
Have you actually laid a new earth to that terminal?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(20-01-2014, 07:59 PM)Seb_Ryan Wrote: Thats the switchable live.. you haven't actually earther it have you?

(20-01-2014, 07:59 PM)Poodle Wrote: Have you actually laid a new earth to that terminal?

Don't know what you both mean....it's the smaller of the cables that goes onto the 8mm bolt on the starter at the solonoid
Thanks given by:
Yeah where did you connect that wire too? It isn't an earth cable, id you have earthed it that's why it will be sparking
Thanks given by:
Onto the 8mm bolt....that's where it came from, i put a new ring connector on as the one that was on snapped
Thanks given by:
Poodle, Seb.....this is the terminal i used when the factory one broke off, and this is where it's connected ie where it came from.....that's why i don't understand the fireworks, i've did nothing diffirent to my knowledge

[Image: 166lkdx.jpg]
[Image: 2ljrmmt.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Can someone say if this setup's ok?
Thanks given by:
That loos fine to me
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
That's what I thought, but why have i got a firework display when i connect the battery Huh
Thanks given by:
Ok I see what you mean, that should be fine then. Clean and dry the battery terminals and connectors, that might help. That starter looks second-hand, are you sure its a good one?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
un hook power feed from starter and try then, if that stops it you have a short starter / stuck solenoid.... Sure the wire isnt earthing out anywhere? Remember it goes onto the alternator after the starter...
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(21-01-2014, 06:35 AM)Poodle Wrote: Ok I see what you mean, that should be fine then. Clean and dry the battery terminals and connectors, that might help. That starter looks second-hand, are you sure its a good one?

They're fine Poodle.....yea they checked it before i left

(21-01-2014, 09:05 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote: un hook power feed from starter and try then, if that stops it you have a short starter / stuck solenoid.... Sure the wire isnt earthing out anywhere? Remember it goes onto the alternator after the starter...

Thanks, will try that.......i don't know if it is, i'll look to see if i see anything obvious

Oh, meant to say.....the starter in the pic is mine (i put it back on to try), not the one from the scappy.....but when i got back, i tested mine the way he did with his in the yard, and seemed to be ok. Well when i say that, when i put power on it, the cog came out and went back, then connecting the other way, it spun quick and free....but i didn't bridge them to check if it came out and spun ect. The guy in the yard did that with his, and seemed to work fine, so maybe mine's duff....i'll hopefully know soon

I hope i said that right
Thanks given by:
Testing a starter like that wont tell you much anyway, a lot of knackered starters will work fine without any load on them.

Its a bugger, but the starter is looking the most likely culprit, dont see what else it can be if nothing else is changed. Why was it replaced to begin with?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
The one from the scrappy works fine, mine's buggered......as soon as i connected the scrappy's one and put the battery terminals on, no sparks, just fine.....and it started fine too, thank fk

Thanks to you Poodle and everyhone else that answered to help ThumbsUp

Now just this clutch shit to iron out Rolleyes....woes me woes me....Pugs....who'd have em..
Thanks given by:
Ok i'm now totally confused lol, what was the issue in the end?

Glad we could help, although i'm not convinced we did lol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
lol.....it wouldn't start the other day, due to the starter being fkd, so got one from the scrappy, came back, tested mine the way he did his, it seemed the same....put mine back on just to try it but caused sparks connecting battery due to the solonoid being fkd, so put the one from the scrappy on and all was fine......there simple really Big Grin Tongue
Thanks given by:
Riiiiigggghht, ok. So basically you blew a starter and were then surprised when it shorted everywhere, gotcha. lol
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: