Has anyone heard of an NRG tuning box

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone heard of an NRG tuning box
A mate was asking about them and was going to get one (he's got a 320 diesel, the same engine as my Rover 75) he's not on the net so can't look it up I tried but found hardly anything. There's a few other boxes but not the NRG name....has anyone heard of them or know anything about them.

I said he'd be better getting it mapped, but said if he sells the car (and he might later but for another diesel) he can take the box off, so can see his point. But like i say, it's the NRG name if anyone's heard of it
Thanks given by:
I've never heard of them, and personally i wouldnt bother with a tuning box, a remap would see far better gains.

/thread Big Grin
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I've had to fix a couple of cars where tuning boxes have caused serious damage over a few thousand miles, new hp pump etc. Avoid like the plague imo.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Aye all the do is miskead the ecu into thinking its running less pressure and therefore itnups the pressure, so efgectively the same as adding fuel and upping fuel pressure, but they aren't a great way of.going about things.

Eg my stage 2 file has no fuel pressure changes yet and its pretty damn quick Wink
Thanks given by:
Are there not more sophisticated tuning boxes now though?

I know the old ones just fooled the MAF with a resistor basically but I'm sure I've read there are some better ones about? Not for HDi's for some reason but for other engines (like the 1.9 CDTi/JTD for example) tuning boxes seem popular and give good results. Obviously not as good as a proper dyno'd £400 remap but surely equal to a 'cheap' generic remap as all some of those do is increase rail pressure basically?
Thanks given by:
Thanks chaps....that's what i said to him too ie it fooled the ecu, he said he spoke to the company yesterday and they said it plugged into the ecu and altered fueling and wasn't like the old ones....i still don't know though
Thanks given by:
A 'cheap map' like the ones off here wont just raise pressure though, usually add iQ in a few different maps, change torque limiters etc, then maybe add pressure lol..

All them ones do is raise pressure and add iQ but the refinement isnt there as far as I know. Sometimes even a mapper may request fuel pressure raises low down but too much if a rise to fast can cause limp modes and car to cut out etc!

JTd is the same engine as the HDi as far as I know?
Thanks given by:
I don't call £80 for a map cheap lol. I'm talking about the proper cheap maps that you can get off ebay etc... Basically I'm sort of saying it's 'get what you pay for'...and I can't see a cheap map being any better than a cheap tuning box.

1.9 JTD/CDTi are the same engine, Z19DT(H) code...JTD badge is probably used on others as well though.

As I'm intrested/intrigued by this now, does anyone know of any free software that can show what perimeters have been changed in maps? I've bought a few different maps and always keep the standard ones so was just wondering how much had been changed in say the £45 blacksmoke.com maps...as I'm guessing it's not a huge amount...
Thanks given by:
WinOLS is your best bet but you will take a while to learn whats changed.

Your way is sortnof backward though, as youd want to know what to change through education, THEN you'd understand whats going on, I know I understand vaguely whats being altered but havent got a good enough understanding of diesels yet to be changing it. Only know the very basics
Thanks given by:
Oh I wouldn't be changing anything....no way would I trust myself to do that lol!! lol

I do roughly understand what should be changed, not sure if I'd be able to 'see' it in the software though. Might give it a go anyway lol.

Back on the subject of tuning boxes, the ones that are popular on VecC are DTUK 'boxes, but it seems they only alter the rail pressure as well, was sure they used/altered more sensor readings but it seems not. http://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/how_it_works.php
Thanks given by:
Probably fool fuel temperature to change IQ or something along those lines, and alter rwil pressure too.

You can see graphs in winOLS but you really needa know how to use the software, then ull maybe see changes lol
Thanks given by:
For the price of a remap I'd personally just choose that over a tuning box atleast with a remap you know what your getting
Thanks given by: