Glow plugs not staying on long enough

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glow plugs not staying on long enough
**this is not related to the other post btw**

Same car though....when cold i've noticed this, i get the light for about 1-2 secs at the most, and when it starts, it's lumpy and jerky for a few secs then it's fine. I'm quite sure it's because the glow plugs arern't on long enough........can you adjust their warm up time at all
Thanks given by:
Nope, you can't adjust the time iirc.

It could just be the plugs are old and/or faulty, or try cycling the ignition a few times. Just because the light is out, doesn't mean the plugs are off.

The light only goes off when the plugs reach a minimum temperature for a start attempt. Wait another 5 seconds or so after the light goes out before starting.
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:
i think from what i have read on here that there is a relay that pulses them on and off until the engine is up to a certain temp ...
maybe just "maybe" that relay is ruined or that contacts to or from it have shit themself's ....
someone will be along shortly to strike me down with lightning for being wrong i spect ... good luck with it .. ;-)
Thanks given by:
(16-01-2014, 09:04 PM)Martin306 Wrote: Nope, you can't adjust the time iirc.

It could just be the plugs are old and/or faulty, or try cycling the ignition a few times. Just because the light is out, doesn't mean the plugs are off.

The light only goes off when the plugs reach a minimum temperature for a start attempt. Wait another 5 seconds or so after the light goes out before starting.

Sorry, didn't think of that ie maybe they've saw better days...after all, they've been in for 3 years and god knows how long before i got it. I'll get new ones and take it from there

(16-01-2014, 09:05 PM)shaverspeedengineering Wrote: i think from what i have read on here that there is a relay that pulses them on and off until the engine is up to a certain temp ...
maybe just "maybe" that relay is ruined or that contacts to or from it have shit themself's ....
someone will be along shortly to strike me down with lightning for being wrong i spect ... good luck with it .. ;-)

So it's a relay that controls them....like i said above though, i'll get new ones and see how it is....if not, i'll look at the relay

Then again, i need to get it started first Rolleyes
Thanks given by:
Ran mine without glowies for a year and it was fine through winter. Used to have rough starting issues, but it stopped when I changed the injectors for refurbs.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(16-01-2014, 10:18 PM)Poodle Wrote: Ran mine without glowies for a year and it was fine through winter. Used to have rough starting issues, but it stopped when I changed the injectors for refurbs.

My understanding was that an HDi hardly even needs to use glow plugs Smile

But op is only having rough starts. lets face it, it's not exactly smooth without plugs coming on is it! Tongue
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:
Nope

But if it's injectors....and all 4, christ that's the price of the car and more Blush
Thanks given by:
Yeah exactly, the glow plugs don't make a noticeable difference in my experience.

Um, no it was fine, new injectors and no glowies and she started beautifully without fail, even when we had two weeks of solid snow. Wasn't rough, didn't struggle to catch, its not like the old X/TUDs at all.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Changing Glow Plugs? JTaylor2005 42 6,254 03-02-2015, 10:30 AM
Last Post: pug306driver
  2.0 HDI Glow Plugs oilly shazilla 1 1,017 12-12-2014, 12:27 AM
Last Post: ConorTRG
  front wipers staying on dan wiltshire 5 1,390 19-11-2012, 04:32 PM
Last Post: spike2002