Weird carry on with starter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weird carry on with starter
On an 01 20 hdi.....it wouldn't turn ect, so took it off and tested it, it's turning fine, well the cog's coming out when the small 8mm bolt's connected with a cable, and it's spining fine when the big live terminal's touched/connected.....so why when it's on the car, it's not turning. is there a connection from the ig switch going somewhere that's maybe causing it.

What was hapening was....when you go to start it in the mornings (especially in winter) it quite often wouldn't turn, but sometimes if you held the key on the "on", it usually caught and started.....but not this time.....hence me thinking the starter was duff. But like I say, after taking it off and putting cables on it, it's running fine as said above.....what the hell's wrong, anyone had this carry on before
Thanks given by:
I have this EXACT problem Sad seems more prominent on cold mornings, my driveway is a hill so ive had to bump start it then drive back up, turn it off and try start it with the key.

After that initial start, it works fine all day so im assuning its something to do with freezing?

When it does fail sometimes as you have said, when I 'blip' the key repeatedly it will fire and start.

Looking forward to a solution Huh
Thanks given by:
You're the same....i towed it last night with the other car and it started, the neighbour then put it (pug) in the drive, i said "that's fine it'll start now, it's a pita, it's because it was cold but think the starters fkd, he aggreed".....i went to start it, nothing!!
Thanks given by:
How's your coolant mix?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Both of us or just stu9?

Mine is at least 50% coolant, although I suspect quite a bit more.
Thanks given by:
Either, either. Hmm, that doesn't work when i type it... Thought it might be your coolant beginning to freeze, but obviously not.

It sounds like it's not getting enough power, maybe a dry connection. Having experienced something similar with the 205, i'd suggest cleaning up your earths and checking the resistance on them to make sure there's not any breaks in the cables.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I'm getting power ok, it's just the starter's not turning.......but allways fine when warmed
Thanks given by:
Yeah my power comes on too, only evident on cold mornings or after the cars been sat for a long time in cold/freezing tempertaures...
Thanks given by:
It must be a starter problem but why when i took it off when it wouldn't turn and put cables on it, the fkn thing worked......and yet (like you too) when it's cold, it usually wont, bloody odd!
Thanks given by:
I'm going to suggest checking your earths again, in case you missed it the first time. lol
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Just put a 2nd hand one on, cost a few pound but the car is worthless if it wont start
Thanks given by:
I have had a few at work like this they work fine of the car but not on the car out it in a vice and try holding the cog with a big screwdriver may be wise to get someone to help and 9 out of ten they won't spin under load just something I have had on a few in the past few weeks
[Image: mike_sig_zpsd438fb98.jpg]

Thanks given by:
Its weird cause the only common occurence is the freezing temperatures, otherwise mine works spot on

I read the comment poodle and I will check the battery terminals & earths but can't see why the cold would effect an earth connection.
Thanks given by:
(16-01-2014, 10:16 PM)Poodle Wrote: I'm going to suggest checking your earths again, in case you missed it the first time. lol

Will do

(16-01-2014, 10:19 PM)Daniel306 Wrote: Just put a 2nd hand one on, cost a few pound but the car is worthless if it wont start

I know, got one today...it's the same as mine ie turns fine ect with cables on, but will try the earths and mine again tomorrow hopefully before it's dark

What i noticed, mine's a Valeo, made if France and think it's maybe the original, if that's right enough, it's did bloody well ie 13 yrs old and 150k later, the one i got's a Mitsubishi made in Jap, it's off a 406 2.0 hdi

Just for the hell of it i phone Pug today for of a new one....£187 and a name i've heard of....probably made in bloody China now and shit!

Meant to say....is it ok to hook it up to the car without putting the on the flywheel ect to try it ie just hook the cables on and turn the key, to see if it works (mine especially)
Thanks given by:
It would probably end up somewhere else due to.the torque? Otherwise cant see it being a problem lol
Thanks given by:
Just had a good read through ya post and the other way to do a bit of fault finding is try it in the morning and if it won't start try the jump leads on the starter buy passing the cars wireing if it works you know you have a prob with the earths or the main lives
[Image: mike_sig_zpsd438fb98.jpg]

Thanks given by:
Thanks, good idea Mickey and if i can get into the cables with everything bolted and connested....i'll try it. I was going try and rig them up earlier, the light i've got's very bright but not enough spread so gave up, plus the other cables were a right pita because i couldn't see right for shadows Angry Blush
Thanks given by:
You said solenoid engages, and motor spin, but is that when you put power to the motor directly (wire from solenoid to motor) because if the contacts are worn out inside the solenoid, the solenoid wont put power to the motor....remember the solenoid does to jobs, moves the cog and also connects contacts to put power to the starter.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by: