blown turbo causing diesel runaway

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
blown turbo causing diesel runaway
So when a blown turbo causes a runaway diesel, this means oil is getting pressurized into the cylinders? Where is the most common place for a seal to break? (If that makes sense).
Thanks given by:
It means pressurised oil is leaking from your turbo chargers bearing assembly past the turbos oil seals and into your inlet, Then the air going into your engine pushs the oil into you cylinders, so you now have air and fuel going into the engine without your foot on the throttle. Which is very bad.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Okay. Had a slight scare with this the other day, me turbo is now nackered, hopefully there isn't too much engine damage.
Thanks given by:
Do not run the engine again until you have swapped the turbo and cleaned all the piping of oil. If you do, the engine could over-rev again and you'll be saying bye bye. The only way to stop it would be in 5th foot hard on brake and let the clutch out to stall it.
Current Car: Lexus CT200h 1.8 138, 2013, 19,500 miles
Previous Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140, 2005, 136,000 miles
Previous Car: Peugeot 306 XLdt (stock!), 150,000 miles (I miss this car Sad)
Thanks given by:
or to cut off the air supply by plugging the intake
Thanks given by:
You're unlikely to have easy access to the intake to do so though. By the time you get the bonnet up the engine will have been damaged anyway. Plus blocking the intake could get you injured with the amount of air it'll be pulling through it Smile
Current Car: Lexus CT200h 1.8 138, 2013, 19,500 miles
Previous Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140, 2005, 136,000 miles
Previous Car: Peugeot 306 XLdt (stock!), 150,000 miles (I miss this car Sad)
Thanks given by:
And stalling it in 5th at 5k+rpm could rip the clutch apart... Just don't run the engine with the boost pipe connected, much safer!
Thanks given by:
yeah it all happened earlier on in the week. got a new turbo on the way now anyway. i managed to kill it quite quickly coz ive got a cone filter, just ripped that off and covered the intake with a rag. just hoping when i get the new turbo on that the engine isnt to badly damaged. didnt want to risk stalling it in 5th. that could cause more problems.
Thanks given by:
I've seen a laguna run away before foot on the brakes dumped the clutch, massive crunch grinding sound, clutch pedal does nothing and the engines still going.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
My mates 306 HDI turbo seals went and filled the dual carriage way with white smoke, he had to stall it to get it to stop. We stripped the turbo and both manifolds off cleaned all the oil out and fitted new turbo seals.
It ran for many years after that so you might be lucky.
Thanks given by:
you can stall it, but only if you react quickly enough, once the turbo gets spooling you dont really have much hope of stopping it then other than killing the air supply.

very entertaining to watch at 1am on the side of the road though
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Would be entertaining to watch if it wasn't your car Wink a diesel runaway is a derv owners worst nightmare.
Thanks given by:
Lol I had this happen on a low blow astra.. doing 65 so had no chance of doing nothing.. fastest I ever went in that car, got upto 85 lol only revving at 4k so it survived
Thanks given by:
Haha, when it happened to me it was only until i stopped it decided to rev its tits off, was to occupied on getting the car to cut out to actually see what it was revving to
Thanks given by:
Happened 3 times in my ZR TD, caught all before 4k..

Saved a woman on the side of the M4 by ripping her air box off and stuffing an old t shirt down the intake, that was fun!
MG ZR TD+ - gone and easily forgotten
Fabia vRS PD130 - New daily
Astra H VXR - new toy!
Thanks given by:
I'll second how nice this isn't too. Happened to me with a ford galaxy I used to have coming off a roundabout. I didn't waste time with 5th, I left it in 3rd and jumped on the brakes. Never seen so much white smoke out the back of a car. Annoyingly, the guy who bought it wanted it driving into his trailer. I told him if it blows he's still buying it, bloody thing was perfect. Although I suspect the turbo probably packed in altogether after being stood with knackered seals for 3 months :/
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ive got a mr2 mk1 with a blown engine on my driveway hennus 9 2,126 31-05-2015, 05:42 PM
Last Post: Toms306
  XUD runaway. ADV_93 16 5,799 16-10-2014, 08:39 AM
Last Post: Dave
  D-Turbo drinking diesel? AdamInNi 21 3,027 23-08-2014, 10:35 AM
Last Post: AdamInNi