Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The big question thread
Ok i may be way off but what would be the usual sympoms of:

• timing belt slipped?
• turbo gone
• hp pump gone
• no connection from turbo to wastegate

Ignoring the problems you know ive got, and individually not all at once.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
• timing belt slipped

Broken lifters, so no opening of the valves on a certain cylinder. (off a cylinder or not running at all)

• turbo gone

Blue smoke everywhere from oil passing in the seals, poor running & no power, and could make some funky noises)

• hp pump gone

Probably won't start at all as it wont make pressure, would be best to diagnose this with peugeot planet.

• no connection from turbo to wastegate

wastegate wont open,. effectively leaving the turbo boosting to silly pressures. Valves staying closed due to high exhaust manifold pressure, can lead to collapsed lifters etc. Would be a problem if ran for too long but depends really.
Thanks given by:
A video is the best bet.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Yeah ill get one tonight, was a bit late last night to start anything
Thanks given by:
(27-01-2014, 12:24 PM)mcglynn Wrote: • no connection from turbo to wastegate

wastegate wont open,. effectively leaving the turbo boosting to silly pressures. Valves staying closed due to high exhaust manifold pressure, can lead to collapsed lifters etc. Would be a problem if ran for too long but depends really.

Wrong, the EWG will open at the pressure that the spring that's in it is rated to. Think you said it's the 21psi one so with no connection it will open at 21psi.

I built it to not need a connection as it's just one more thing to complicate stuff.
Thanks given by:
Thats what i was thinking chris. What is the connection from the cold side to the manifold doing?
Thanks given by:
Well in that case it'll open when the exhaust pressure hits 21psi, inlet wont be much over 10 at that point. Maybe the wastegate is seized up.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Nope that was still opening.
Thanks given by:
Ah you see I wasnt aware it was somehow connected otherwise, he simply said 'no connection from turbo to wastegate' which would explain where my logic came in.
Thanks given by:
This is why im wondering how its boosting at 30psi?
Thanks given by:
If its an external wastegate with no boost feed, then theres no way it can react to the inlet pressure, ie 21psi. The gate could be pushed open by the pressure of the exhaust gases I guess, but you'd have to factor in stuff like leverage, flow dynamics and calculate the pressure differential across the turbine etc.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Alex I'd not really considered it at the time as it worked perfectly at the time just swapping springs but I assume that they just send out what is actually a 42psi spring when they call it 21psi if you know what I mean.
Thanks given by:
No, wg springs are rated to the pressure they're rated to, simple as.

Ian, if the wg was opening properly, there's no way you could have pinned a 30psi gauge. I'd be taking a good look at the wg and making everything is connected up and working properly, check its operation with a regulated pressure feed etc. If you could get a video up that would help too.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Pipe had split for the feed to the gauge, believe thats why my guage wasnt working. Although now thinking about it that rules out me still being able to over boost.
Thanks given by:
Hopefully replacing the feed should fix both the over-boosting and the gauge then.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Pretty sure the turbo is shagged so going to get that off and check it, rebuilt if needs be/ its not too much. Open the wastegate and check that. Get that refitted and see if theres any other problems.
Thanks given by:
That would suck. Sad What makes you think it's knackered?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I think the bearings arent spinning properly, meaning the air is only going in in stages and so the fuel is doing the same meaning the hole engine is lurching as the bearings in the turbo are. So the whole engine is chattering, if that makes sense?

Explains the vibration and lack of scary noises. Didnt sound like anything when bang and theres no metal on metal sounds or anything.
Thanks given by:
Is there any way you can get it on diagnostics?

Doesn't sound like the symptoms of a dead turbo tbh, not sure what it sounds like...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ive got a video on facebook, although its rather distorted aparently (no speakers on my phone so couldnt listen to it back).

Put it up on the forum facebook.
Thanks given by:
Doesnt sound OVERLY bad on facebook, was the timing altered for the pump? sounds a bit knocky just to me. Might be worth checking the pins all line up properly and no lifters are damaged?

Just a guess though im not overly sure. Someone else may have more info
Thanks given by:
No timing was standard.
Thanks given by:
Gotta say I still don't think it is the turbo
Thanks given by:
Im stumped if its not.
Thanks given by:
Have you whipped the rocker cover off and had an inspection?
Thanks given by:
No, think thats gunna be first job tonight.
Thanks given by:
Sounds like it's missing on one cylinder. It's got enough air and fuel else it wouldn't be running, so i'm going to say it's lost compression on one. Is there any sign of combustion crap leaking up around any of the injectors?

Best bet is to carry on with having the rocker covers off as planned, if you don't find anything there it's moving on to having the head off tbh. Confused
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
[attachment=13157]

Might do some explaining
Thanks given by:
Told you it was probably collapsed lifters (or similar (well rockers, they are all part of the same system))
Thanks given by:
Your turbo may be better than i give you credit. Any idea if theres and upgrade for these or just standard replacement?
Thanks given by: