The big question thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The big question thread
It will run and the ecu wont see anything wrong as it only uses the frps and fts to monitor fuel delivery, neither of which will show anything unusual. Well, not unless you thrash it and the pump cant make the requested pressure. Tvh, for the sake of the 15 minutes it takes to fit it, you could just do it once you're there, it's what I did. Was going to drive up there with it fitted myself, but its so easy to forget and the smoke is scary bad when its already stage 1d lol, can almost see it cooking the turbo. Confused
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ill see how it runs once its in, if its shit ill swap it back for the drive down. Thats partly why ive got this week off work so i dont have to driving the car.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
New problem, the coolant hoses keep popping off from the bulkhead, any ideas to replace/improve the fitting? Happened twice in teo days, as far as i know ive bled it properly.
Thanks given by:
Erm, that's a new one, sure the clip isn't broken? It pressurising the coolant?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Pipes dont feel too firm, think ive solved it, took another look and tge clip may not have been on 100%. It is now and cable tied. Ill drive it again tonight/tomorrow and see.
Thanks given by:
Haha that was a nice easy one, next! lol
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Fingers crossed it was. Will find out soon enough.

Although a good guide on bleeding wouldnt go a miss. From someone that knows.
Thanks given by:
Estimate 185bhp had a few minor issues i still need to sort out, boost gauge isnt working now, really confused why, it was maxing out the guage though. Did pop a boost pipe off but thats now back on, going to uprate the clamps to mikalpr when ive got time and money. Small water leak that i need to sort but thats a two second job once its cooled down. Other than that really happy, going to sort the problems out and go back down and see if we can smooth it out and get some more power under 2000 rpm.
Thanks given by:
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-20731.html

Piggy gave me a good explanation in here about how to bleed it
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah bleedings not a problem, just need to trim the hose a d check it. Mainly the boost guage thats the issue as i dont know what the turbo is doing.
Thanks given by:
Where did u havs ur boost gauge plumbed in?
Thanks given by:
Its on a t between the external wastegate and the turbo.
Thanks given by:
Bleeding is the same as on pretty much any vehicle - open the bleed points, fill it up as much as you can via the expansion tank, then run it and continue to top up to keep above the max point, do up the bleed nipples as each one runs without bubbles, job done.

You've probably lost the wg feed if it was boosting off the gauge, maybe an idea to turn it down a tad. lol
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I did turn it down haha. Thats the scary thing. The wastegate end is on, the other end is on the turbo Sad
Thanks given by:
There's something wrong with the wastegate then, i assume you've connected it to the right port if there's more than one...?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I need to check the turbo end buts its so inaccessible.
Thanks given by:
Just get some good quality jubilee's pal. Mikalor are good but very pricey!
Thanks given by:
I thought i did, all piping and stuff is from forge.
Thanks given by:
Too much boost then lol, how high does your gauge go?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
30. Sean do you know how accurate that gauge was? Ive wound it down for tonight until i can get the gauge working again to see what it is boosting.
Thanks given by:
Lol that'll do it! How have you wound it down, i thought external wgs were set by changing the springs?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Theres a manual boost controller on it??
Thanks given by:
If the wastegate spring is 30pai or plus then the voost controller is useless.

Its only good if the spring rating is less than you want your boost to be.
Thanks given by:
spring is 21psi, boost was set to 25psi but was reading 30 when i was running it with steve today, wound the boost controller down a bit and took it out again tonight to see if anything else came up and now something has shat itself.

no power, no smoke, turbo chatter, massive vibration especially in 4th and 5th, sounds like a bloody tug boat. Not sure whats gone pop but something has i think.

Anybody want to hazard a guess what ive ruined?
Thanks given by:
Set the wastegate using springs, it was built to be set using springs. I stopped trusting MBCs after trying to use them

Run your boost gauge into a proper take off in the manifold. If you come over here ill drill and tap your l bend and fit a brake bleed nipple to give you a proper reading.

Buy me these and ill do it for free http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bleed-nipples-...337647a06e

EDIT, little worried as to what you've ruined. Was it holding steady at 30psi or was it effectively off a 30psi gauge? If you have been running 21psi + 25psi thats well over 40psi and that will kill a HDi happily.

Does it sound like its running on 3 cylinders?
I think you could have 2 problems, 1 something has fallen off or youve done an engine mount and thats your vibration
2 down on power with no smoke is pretty specific as it means its not injecting the fuel to make the power
Thanks given by:
It was reaching up to but not exceeding 30psi on full throttle, i wound the boost controller down and was being careful not to use full throttle so not to be boosting too much. To the point that the wastegate wasnt opening so not even 21psi.

As for drilling and tapping thats not a problem i can do that just need to order myself the nipples.

Ive got it back up on stands and had a quick look but the i need to get to the turbo so theres zero access to get a decent look. Couldnt see anything out of place, sounds weird as hell, possibly 3 cylinders but i wouldnt know what that would sound like? Like a tug boat is my best description.

Cheers for the pm, but id just gone to bed.
Thanks given by:
Uh nip over to .net and see if you can find videos from tom1357 and warlord when they had this problem, they ended up smaashng the cam train with too much back-pressure. Confused
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
^^^^ As with poodle I do kinda feel like it could be f*cked lifters, I suppose mine sounded "tug boaty" when I last had some go but mine smoked when they did and was so under powered it wouldn't start.

I suppose you could test to see if its down one cylinder by unplugging the injectors one at a time and seeing if the noise changes. If it doesn't really change the noise on 1 cylinder its that one thats f*cked.
Thanks given by:
I thought unplugging the injectors whilst running causes damage to them? because they can close 'open' or something to that effect?
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Does it, oh in that case dont.

Too used to playing with petrols Sad
Thanks given by: