The big question thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The big question thread
No upgrade. If you dont ra*e boost youll never break them again.
Thanks given by:
Ok ill do my best not to then.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Back pressure is the issue there, another reason i'm not a fan of hybrids tbh. Turning the boost down should certainly help, i wouldn't hit the limiter too often either. I think i've done some damage to my valve train actually, have been pushing it too hard without a big enough hotside and now it sounds clattery lol.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
The centre pins look like they were coming out of a few of the others too, not sure if thats whats happened to those two. Plan is definitely to wind it down and have a look at this wastegate.
Thanks given by:
Not read rest of the thread, but I know it'll be blamed on them - this is NOTHING to do with Hydraulic Lifters before anyone blames it on that.

This is a valve spring problem - the valves are floating from too much backpressure - that's because the turbo simply cannot move enough gas and/or the wastegate isn't opening.

Either the valve springs need uprating or you need to monitor exhaust manifold pressure along with inlet manifold pressure. The tuning process will affect both, adding in lots of fuel at mid RPMs will increase drive pressure insanely, IMO with a hybrid turbo with relatively small hotside, you need to monitor exhaust pressure.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
No boost is being blamed. And that will be wound down before i run it again. The manifold pressure should be regulated by the external wastegate.
Thanks given by:
Worth putting new ones in or worth checking the condition of the ones in my old engine?
Thanks given by:
Ones in your old engine would do id say, they are pretty expensive new afaik
Thanks given by:
£160 for a set of 8. Not a part that really wears is it.
Thanks given by:
Hi Ian, can't reply to your PM as I'm new on this forum. Once you figure out how the boost is controlled we can finish setting it up, I was right on the rocker as soon as I heard that noise in your video Wink
I'm sure they are designed to be the weakest link aren't they?
Thanks given by:
I believe they are yeah, or it seems that way and would make sense. I think ive got it figured out but need to get it running and test it to see.
Thanks given by:
Piston one 390psi, piston two 390psi, piston three snapped glow plug (sh*t), piston 4 290psi.

Engine back out Sad
Thanks given by:
Stick with it mate, it's all steps in the right direction. Smile
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I will, are there any upgrades or jobs worth doing if im getting the engine back out and opening it up?
Thanks given by:
Valve springs.

Even just slightly stronger will reduce the likelihood of what happened with smashing the rockers.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Any suggestions for where to start looking for them?
Thanks given by:
Piston 1 vs piston 4 at tdc. Bent rod by the looks of it Doh Am i able to take a single rod out my old engine and put it into this one? Tolerances arent too tight to do so or anything?

[Image: FF4FBC2E-E436-4F4A-8732-0A99F3B634DB_zpsuvtqk7m2.jpg]

[Image: E92032E1-BE11-4E8E-9AFB-DD89E89BD4FE_zpsajdv8unm.jpg]

Ignore the oil marks on them.
Thanks given by:
Ah that'll do it! Confused

Can't see it being a problem swapping a single rod, the tolerances on these engines aren't exactly fine.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Back in action baby. Touch wood it last this time. Estimated 175-180bhp with 23psi. Such a fun car to drive. Blasting it all day with steve ironing out the last few bits. Mainly MAF related as its now got the 2.2 hdi maf. Bigger diameter and bigger ranges.
Thanks given by:
Going well, just need to figure out that crazy external waste gate and then you're all done. Did it un-jam on the way home or still the same?
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Took it easy on the way home, just cruised up the motorway. Need to get some fuel before i give it some more stick.
Thanks given by:
Have you got a part number for that maf to hand? Simce mine is dead it'd be daft not to upgrade. Big Grin
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Needs calibrating. You will have to talk to steve about the details of that vdo part number is 5WK9628Z and dealer part number is 1920 ag.
Thanks given by:
Yes I can sort that out for you poodle, I think Ian has another coming in the post that he no longer needs but not sure on that?
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Cheers guys, will see what i can find and text you, Steve.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: