306 hdi now starting normally but won't rev past 2500 any ideas ??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
306 hdi now starting normally but won't rev past 2500 any ideas ??
Yeah hopefully won't be too bad
Yeah me and my mate done it
Thanks given by:
Fair enough, might find it's just the pump then, i'm afraid. Confused What fuel pressure did it show on cranking?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Just had the immobiliser permanently removed and it still won't start Sad
Thanks given by:
Only other variable is your pump then, had u the car all locked off when taking the pump apart?

Check with pp to see the cranking pressure?
Thanks given by:
Yeah timing was all locked up, yeah must see what pressure it's putting out
Thanks given by:
Did you change the pump or just do something to the original one? Spose if you changed it it could be duff
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
have you tried spraying easystart (mmmm victory v smell) up the inlet i know you said your getting fuel to the injectors but it should run on it! to see if your getting or not getting fuel then ar least youd know if a fuel or immobiliser problem (if you get my drift)
Thanks given by:
It won't run on it if the pressure isn't high enough for the ecu, needs to be ~280bar to fire.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
ya i know it wont run on its own fuel but easy start ignites on compression doesnt need a fuel pressure you should at least get a fire out of it shouldn't you?? then youd know for certain it wasnt getting diesel and being immobilized
Thanks given by:
Don't think i explained that properly, sorry. I meant the ecu won't fire the injectors if there's not enough rail pressure, so without knowing what the rail pressure is you can't rule out either as a possible fault. Besides which, we already know it's not the immobiliser at fault..:

(17-01-2014, 04:44 PM)maguire1992 Wrote: Just had the immobiliser permanently removed and it still won't start Sad

Wink
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
but if the car turns over theres still compression it would induct the easy start and fire on that no Not hijacking the thread just trying different avenues to help by the way
Thanks given by:
Yes it will fire up just on the easy start, but itll stop again as soon as it runs out of easy start to burn - ie it wouldn't tell you anything useful. If it started on the easy start then kept running on its own fuel, that would be different, but even then that'd point to cam and crank sensors, not immobiliser faults.

Running it on easy start alone doesn't prove anythimg except that it has some compression. Even then its no use as easy start will ignite in a petrol purely on compession, and these engines cr should be a fair bit higher than your average petrol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Found out that the fuel pressure is low
Immobiliser is definanatly removed now
These are the faults I have at the minute
[Image: 0D523FEA-C819-497D-8D22-F468BF5062FB_zpsgslhiwg1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
The car started with a tow Smile

But won't rev over 2500 and takes a bit of turning to start
Thanks given by:
[Image: 7D1ED44E-A662-4F5C-9F61-CA83A2CB0618_zpsr7hycuky.jpg]

[Image: B6692489-FB46-49A0-B08D-4132B43A7455_zps592fspce.jpg]

[Image: 82F75427-A212-47C0-8E06-BE772C56105E_zpskgan7tzd.jpg]
Thanks given by:
yeah as out plugging this in to planet for him today, all the codes we got are above. They all clear apart from the two top ones and the very bottom one. The car now starts but it takes about 7-8 turns and it idles fine but is in limp mode and wont rev past 2500.

So anyone got anymore ideas? The car starts now so lift pump must be okay. When looking at the live data when cranking it does take a few turns to build up the fuel pressure.

Unless there is a leak? Could the FPR be dicky?

btw both live data shots are at idle
Thanks given by:
Does P0230 keep coming back?

If so maybe blocked strainer or failing lift pump... Just because the car starts, doesn't necessarily mean it's fully working...

When you rev the engine, monitor the 2nd value from the bottom (difference between request and actual) - that number should never be that large. Also monitor the pressure whilst cranking - is it high enough for the engine to start injection.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Cheers ruan, basically when you crank it, you can see that the pressure takes a few turns to build up, but when running and revving Im sure the difference in actual pressure vs requested wasn't noticeably large.

And no p0230 is no longer recurring, if I clear the codes they come back when it's started again but not p0230
Thanks given by:
just a quick thought have you got a dicky injector(s) sticking open and losing the rail pressure, what about the pressure relief valve in the rail?? possible got some crap in it? just a idea, i haven't read the post completely, just a thought i had the same with a 1200hp engine at work
Thanks given by:
He had no bother with the injectors before the pump was stripped I believe.
Thanks given by:
Yeah no problem with injectors before I changed the pump, going to start a new thread now that the car is starting
Thanks given by:
It's almost certainly hp components at fault if it takes much more than a couple of cranks to start. Could try swapping out the fpr, but i'd suspect the pump tbh.

The coded anti-start fault will stay there now the immobs been removed. The last fault I don't recognise.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
It's her own pump that was working fine only leaking and I put seals in and now she's doing this
Thanks given by:
Tbh Owen what I would do is clean that original fpr you have and put it on, if no joy with that then I would go along with poodle and say just get a known working hp pump and bang it on, that way you know for sure
Thanks given by:
Hate the thought of changing the pump for a 3rd time lol
Thanks given by:
It might do trick tho as it's the only thing that's changed. Unless you just wanna try the fpr first as well as check for any leaks in the lines
Thanks given by:
Don't take this the wrong way, but you really need to know what you're doing and be uber-clean if you're going to rebuild one of these pumps - not the same as the old ves where you could leave a spanner in it and the thing will still run lol. Chances are something hasn't sealed or seated properly, that's all it'd take to kill it. I killed one of my own trying to rebuild it a couple of years ago. Sad
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ill have my r65 off in a day or two, known good one too. Smile

Be fitting the r70 to be on safe side
Thanks given by:
Is r65 just standard 2.0 pump? Much posted to ni?
Thanks given by:
Im in NI bud lol, thats why I said it. Yeah its the standard 2.0 hdi pump, running my stage 2 ltd torque map ok atm, idk whats it worth to you? £30's about right I would say
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stage 2 and Above Owners (Past and Present) MY95 41 7,486 14-09-2014, 07:51 PM
Last Post: tb205gti
  306 hdi takes longer to start and won't rev past 2500? maguire1992 5 1,622 20-01-2014, 11:09 AM
Last Post: darrenjlobb
  Won't rev past 2300, running on after switch off. Please help tom-dturb 7 2,301 01-01-2013, 06:15 AM
Last Post: gareth7