removing aircon hdi

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
removing aircon hdi
Hi guys I'm looking to remove my air con compressor and radiator to make more space for a fmic. I know I will need a shorter belt etc but I am wondering if I can just cut all the pipes out safely? And how do I remove the rad?
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Just check it isnt gassed (its illegal to vent it to atmosphere).

Chances are its degassed through a leak or five, or else through prolonged use.

Once you get the bumper off you'll see what to do, can only unbolt it as far as the bulkhead.

Theres some part numbers floatin about on threads about the length of belt you need & the route but I haven't done this step yet and my ac pump is still in situ.

Radiator will just lift out and ur pipes will be bolted in with various fasteners. Handiest just to cut them to bits.
Thanks given by:
Exactly as above, belt needs to be ~1170mm long, so a gates belt of the right size would have the part number 6pk1170.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Cheers guys, will have to get cracking. Can anyone tell me how I remove the twin fans?
Thanks given by:
Lift up and out as far as I remember, youll fugure it out Wink
Thanks given by:
the twin fans are mounted onto the plastic cowl, which the rads lower pins push through rubbers, which sucure the cowl.
with the rad free on its top clips, you should be able to lift the rad enough to pull the cowl out the bottom,
but remember to refit the rubbers onto the lower crossmember for the rad to sit in.
Thanks given by:
Check if its gassed first by unscrewing the valve cap on the O/S front inner wing and jabbing something in i. If it sprays RLF and give it 5 mins before going back. You'll need to get a professional to de-gas it then, definitely don't cut through a pipe and then RLF cos that would bad for the environment lol.

The belt you need is an 6pk1173

Cut the old belt foo, undo the 4 16mm nut/bolts on the compressor and undo the 8mm allen bolt holding the hoses and the single white wiring plug and drop it off, it is surprisingly heavy.

Remove the front bumper then slam panel and you'll be able to lift up the rad before sliding the fans and air con rad out from underneath. Refit the slam panel and a slim fan ready for when you fit a FMIC.

Where the pipes are bolted to the lower crossmember the bolts are always too corroded to undo so grab them in some grips and bend them back and forwards till they snap off. Everything else is pretty obvious.
Thanks given by:
Okay so if I undo the sitcom rad ( which I have already done ) can I just bung the pipes until I get around to removing the compressor?

Will the original fans still mount okay without the sitcom rad in place
Thanks given by:
I wouldnt even bother bunging the pipes mate, there is nothing in them.

The original fans will fit fine.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aircon LewisG 11 2,061 24-04-2014, 12:00 PM
Last Post: mcvite
  aircon finchy 2 1,615 04-03-2013, 08:20 AM
Last Post: finchy