House Prices are increasing!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
House Prices are increasing!
just a word of warning on overpaying your mortgage
yes do it as I am
i bought mine in 2001 over 25 years but im overpaying and i should pay mine off in 17 years
i will be 48 and mortgage free, hopfully as shit happens which always change plans

i couldnt overpay for the first fixed term, then i was limited to £300 overpayment, but now i have no limit a month

when you exit a fixed period, they adjust your payments to match your years remaining term.
so if you have been overpaying at the fixed term end, they will reduce your payments to get more interest out of you to extend your term to the original finish date
Thanks given by:
(08-01-2014, 01:07 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: Problem with rent though, is that its dead money. At least with a mortgage, you're working your way towards actually owning something.

Exactly this.

Quote:Saving at the moment for a deposit. Its a shit time to be buying a house. Yes these 5% deposit mortgages are good, but you need to be earning enough to make up the other 95% at 3.5x.

I'm waiting for a long lost relative who was a criminal and I never met to die and leave me a load of cash Smile

They must be doing it different now to when i did it? me and my lass got the %5 morg 2 years ago (It was a test phase, only done by lloyds at the time)
Anyway. we put up %5, Government put up %5 Secured a Morg for %90. Repayments are £288 a month.. our rent was £420 No brainer.

Btw £60k for a 3 bedroom, MASSIVE garden. Large Garage. Large Penis. just seeing if anyone was still reading.

needs 10-15k spent on it to bring it up to date but same out next street over sold for £110k. once the market picks up... Free money! Yay.
...85cc Petrol 0 Doors... - ...135MPG... - ...£17 Tax...
Thanks given by:
Same here. Making a profit for doing feck all Smile
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(08-01-2014, 09:35 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Same here. Making a profit for doing feck all Smile

Might even look to do the upgrades my self. save a little cash
...85cc Petrol 0 Doors... - ...135MPG... - ...£17 Tax...
Thanks given by:
(08-01-2014, 09:35 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Same here. Making a profit for doing feck all Smile

It's only a profit if you move somewhere else or die.

Your house go's up, so does your neighbours and so does 'the next' house you want to move into.

So while you make money on your initial investment you also have to pay more for your next place - so you kinda do and do not make a profit.
Thanks given by:
(09-01-2014, 10:36 AM)r3k1355 Wrote:

It's only a profit if you move somewhere else or die.

Your house go's up, so does your neighbours and so does 'the next' house you want to move into.

So while you make money on your initial investment you also have to pay more for your next place - so you kinda do and do not make a profit.

Not so in my case mate, I bought my house for less than half market value. I could sell my house tomorrow, pay off my mortgage and still have about 90 grand in hand.
Thanks given by:
(09-01-2014, 11:40 AM)THE_Liam Wrote: Not so in my case mate, I bought my house for less than half market value. I could sell my house tomorrow, pay off my mortgage and still have about 90 grand in hand.

Is there not a minimum ownership period on RTB properties to stop people from buying them and immediately selling them at a significant profit? I know that there is on the one that a friend of mine bought recently, but different councils might well have different rules for the scheme.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
(09-01-2014, 11:40 AM)THE_Liam Wrote: Not so in my case mate, I bought my house for less than half market value. I could sell my house tomorrow, pay off my mortgage and still have about 90 grand in hand.

That is true, forgot that.

How many years do you gotta live in an ex-council place before you're allowed to sell??

Edit just found on the Leeds council website:

Quote:If you sell your home within 5 years of having bought it from the council under
the right to buy scheme you will usually have to repay discount. Changing the
ownership to your home to include a family member or a partner will be a sale

Quote:If you sell your home within 10 years after having bought it from the council
under the right to buy scheme you will have to give the council the first option
of buying it back. If the council does want to buy your home back it will have
to pay you the market value
Thanks given by:
Its 3 years, I think you can sell before that but you have to pay back the discount. Staying here for a good few years though, at least until the mortgage is paid off Smile
Thanks given by:
(08-01-2014, 01:03 PM)C.A.R. Wrote: 103K? That's got to be north of here Sad

I'm not so obsessed with the idea of getting a mortgage and 'my own place' any more. Whilst it would be nice, it's quite restricting in that you're kind of stuck with the same place and its value could go up or down...

Rent is currently £715, always looking for somewhere cheaper...

South wales dude.. in my town houses range from 60k to 1.5 million for a nice 8 bed farmhouse etc
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  oh bugger dog house tonight cully 10 3,206 14-12-2017, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Eeyore
  House electrical question cpikey316_ 6 3,065 15-11-2017, 06:42 AM
Last Post: cully
  House moving cost cpikey316_ 22 4,779 30-07-2016, 06:20 AM
Last Post: cpikey316_