advice before i buy please.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
advice before i buy please.
Been offered a 306 hdi estate as I'm after a derv estate.

The guy says it starts and drives fine but shuts off if driven hard.

Been told its the lift pump in the tank, had mixed answers saying it's easy fix etc then had people saying it's about to blow up and take the fuel pump and Injectors with it.

Also been told if i go view it to check the fuel filter for metal fillings and if there is to walk away.

Can anyone shed anymore light on this.

Cheers.
Thanks given by:
It could be a few things but that is a common sign of the lift pump failing.

It won't explode or take out the injectors or HP pump lol, might leave a bit of a mess in the fuel filter housing but I doubt it'd go further than that though. The gold filings in the filter housing are supposed to indicate a worn pump but people have different opinions on that.

Lift pump is very easy to change if it is that at fault.
Thanks given by:
The guy that told Mr it would take them out says it's just happened to his.

The cars up for £500 has mot, and is a 2001 iirc that's all I know upto now.

Is it worth trying to knock him down, are lift pumps dear new or used and what kind of job is it?

Thanks
Thanks given by:
knock him down £300
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Really? Would be interested to know how! Confused

Anyway, lift pumps aren't that expensive, about £40 delivered for a good used one, not sure for a new one,. And a really simple job, just a plug, couple of fuel pipes then the collar round the pump and the pump lifts out - then the same in reverse.

If it's a Y reg that's cheap tax which is good. Can't really say whether a good price or not without other details tbh.
Thanks given by:
Ok like said that's all I know, wouldn't it only be in the new tax band if it's a 51 plate on?

What could I say so he has no option to drop the price hehe
Thanks given by:
If those filings knock out the injectors and hp pump it's because some idiot looked at the filings in the filter housing and then put it all back together without flushing it out. It's just as likely in my experience to be the hp pump, injectors or wiring, could be much more expensive and time-consuming to solve so it's a risky buy without doing some diagnostic work imo.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
As said £40 for a used lift pump, i got quoted 120 odd for a new genuine one from pug, and there easy fitted tho the locking ring can be hateful and easy enough broke! Not get him to put a new lift pump in?
Thanks given by:
(06-01-2014, 09:58 PM)LJ_D Wrote: Ok like said that's all I know, wouldn't it only be in the new tax band if it's a 51 plate on?

What could I say so he has no option to drop the price hehe

Nope, cheap tax starts at Y reg (01/03/2001) Smile

You could offer him a price, give him your number and walk away....if he's desperate he'll probably take it lol.
Thanks given by:
If its a lift pump you can fit a new aftermarket one with only some case modifications and they can cost from £30 upwards dependant on wjat you want.
Thanks given by:
Ton of it isnt running right its virtually scrap value. :-) I wouldn't pay much more than £350 for something that doesn't run.
When it comes to fuel system it can cost alot. But can be so simple. Knock gin down to £300
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
It is running, it just cuts under load - and I'll guess at about 3krpm which seems to be common for the LP not being able to keep up demand by then. I dunno about you guys but I can keep under 3k all day. Tongue

And if it's a Y plate with low milage in good condition and plenty of T&T it probably is worth £500. If its X plate, got 200k, a ruined interior and no T&T it's not even worth £200 imo. As said, depends on a lt more than the info we have currently lol.
Thanks given by:
If it's cuts at 3krpm I recommend giving it a damn good thrashing. My old hdi used to cut out at 3krpm under load. Had argument with the Mrs went for angry drive and car went bang, temp went straight up, smoke out the back covering back window and it cut out. Street checking everything over stayed up normally and never cut out since.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
Lol, one way of fixing it I guess!! But was probably a blocked cat or something then....you won't help a fuelling issue by ragging it unfortunately lol.
Thanks given by:
(06-01-2014, 11:07 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Lol, one way of fixing it I guess!! But was probably a blocked cat or something then....you won't help a fuelling issue by ragging it unfortunately lol.

Probably was due to blocked cat. But cool story :-)
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
id have a look at the fpr before changing the lift pump. Two screws and it out. if its dirty id say thats your problem
Thanks given by:
Id agree with the above, Its unlikely anything terminal but could take ages to trace and involve swapping most of the fuel system
Thanks given by: