just picked up a hdi cold start problems

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
just picked up a hdi cold start problems
hi guys

randomly picked up a 02 hdi estate 2day

seller told me when its cold it won't start unless you use cold start Nospeak or head the manifold up with a hair dryer etc i thought glow plugs but see on here they don't really need them and seller said he has done them checked voltage to them etc (no glow plug light on dash tho??

don't a bit of looking about and see the lift pumps can be a problem but i can hear that working parking the car up on the drive tonight and see what happens tomorrow.

thought i would post up and see if any one else had any idea's same problem so i can maybe speed up solving it
Thanks given by:
I think the glow plug light only illuminates under a certain temperture.
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(04-01-2014, 05:36 PM)Jimbo Wrote: I think the glow plug light only illuminates under a certain temperture.

hurmm would that mean there is a sensor to tell them to work and that could be wrong?
Thanks given by:
Possibly, get a fault code reader on it and get some codes
Thanks given by:
check the glow plugs they are used even if the light dont come on Wink
Thanks given by:
thnaks guys

right went out this morning and it just turned over starter moter started giving up i only turned it over for 10~15 secs a go so noting gets to hot or f*cked in the end (as it started raining) i just did what i didn't want to do and sprayed some cold start down the intake and boof its alive going to get it on my mates scanner later and then test the glow plugs noticed earth was louse on the battery so tighten that up and life lead is shite to so i'll change that at some point.. these engines need good starter motors to wind them over quickly? also fixed the air horn why i was under the bonnet and wet so least if i don't fix the problem i can beep out me swearing :Hello
car starts fine for the rest of the day once messed about with it in the morning
Thanks given by:
got the ecu plugged up

got

P1521 - clutch switch?

po100 air mass

p1112 - fule press (lift pump? new filter?)

p0380 - glow plug relay (will a xud one work?)

po335 - rpm sensor

so next weekend trip to scrap yard is booked going to look up whats were before hand and do a small bit of shopping i know should buy new but its just a smoker/tip run / not care but make reliable car
Thanks given by:
Is the car reading any RPM when its cranking? that could be the issue and it starts warm as the tollerence of the sensor changes when warm (metal expands, gets closer) maybe?

To fix the issue (if you have revs cranking) id replace the glow plug relay and lift pump first.
Thanks given by:
I'll put money on Crank position sensor there or lift pump failure.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
If it turns out to be high pressure pump, I have one for sale very cheap
Thanks given by:
(05-01-2014, 06:02 PM)Ruan Wrote: I'll put money on Crank position sensor there or lift pump failure.

CPS is what i am going to change 1st mate as rev gauge is out and i see when looking stuff up on the net some one had the same problems and that fixed it after he done loooooads of other bits

thanks for the replys and thoughts guys will keep it posted any other idea's welcome to Smile jimbob do you have any of the other bits cheap

am i right inthinking the CPS will be round were the gear box bolts to the engine?
Thanks given by:
The CPS is round the back of the block on a bit of webbing that juts backwards away from the block (at the gearbox end) with the sensor bolted through it to 'look' at the flywheel.

And yeah if the rev counter is out as well as saying rpm sensor issues thats the first thing id look at as I'm pretty sure the car needs to see rpm or even a certain rpm to start.
Thanks given by:
Sits above the diff under a little metal heat-shield.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
crank shaft sensor sits directly below the thermostat housing....held in with a 10mm bolt
Thanks given by:
(06-01-2014, 07:53 AM)gareth7 Wrote: crank shaft sensor sits directly below the thermostat housing....held in with a 10mm bolt
God your right

What the hell engine was I thinking of?????
Thanks given by:
God knows mate lol....

Mine decided to break down just before Christmas.....lift pump and CS sensor failure at the same time! Fortunately I had a spare CS sensor so that was a free fix. Awkward to get at, took longer removing the air box and moving the loom out of the way than it did to change.

When the old one came out it was pretty obvious it had issues Wink

[Image: 2013-12-05095249_zps38f00636.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(06-01-2014, 10:59 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(06-01-2014, 07:53 AM)gareth7 Wrote: crank shaft sensor sits directly below the thermostat housing....held in with a 10mm bolt
God your right

What the hell engine was I thinking of?????

lmao

(08-01-2014, 06:33 AM)gareth7 Wrote: God knows mate lol....

Mine decided to break down just before Christmas.....lift pump and CS sensor failure at the same time! Fortunately I had a spare CS sensor so that was a free fix. Awkward to get at, took longer removing the air box and moving the loom out of the way than it did to change.

When the old one came out it was pretty obvious it had issues Wink

[Image: 2013-12-05095249_zps38f00636.jpg]

Yes, that is definitely broken! lol
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
thanks guys i'm on it this weekend with trip to scrap yard

when the ecu was plugged up it also said the glow plugs didn't work so last night I just wired them to a bit of wire for the moment that I put on the + of the battery for 20sec that and a tiny spray of cold start it started up loads easyer then before ThumbsUp
Thanks given by:
I have always got the glow plug fault when iv scanned a hdi with starting problems. Usually by the time ive fixed it i find that its never anything to do with the glow plugs so i wouldnt worry too much about that code
Thanks given by:
thanks L.J
right guys bit of a update swapped out the cps and changed the cam one to as i picked up a few still the same fault but again bit of cold start and she fires up and is fine for the rst of the day rev gauge is still out but works any other thoughts lift pumps kicking in and then back out little pissed off as wasted 1/2 a lush sunny day and still no joy any one fance a battered estate for £300 is the way its going and i'll go buy anther xud lol
Thanks given by:
If the lift pumps kicking in and put id be inclined to say either a dault with the relay or an earth, or else the pump/motor itself.
Thanks given by:
thing is once its run once its fine rest of the day till left for 8hours/over night. doesn't run sluggish or underfule so could it still be pump related I have a new set of bosh glow plugs coming and will change/check the glow plug realy
Thanks given by:
I had this shortly before my ecu died... :S
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cold start 2.0hdi tommyboii 10 1,922 11-03-2016, 01:21 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  2.0hdi hard to start from cold stu9 19 7,115 24-02-2013, 02:13 PM
Last Post: DeeTurbo
  Lumpy idle when cold also longer to start when warm Chris_90 21 6,497 14-08-2012, 10:28 AM
Last Post: Chris_90