Guide: Front suspension/spring/coilover change

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guide: Front suspension/spring/coilover change
Yeh; compress the springs. It's a long job by hand, but persevere!

And yeh, be careful, I find it easiest moving the hub side to side, you'll find you can roll it slightly which allows more space to drop the strut down!
Good luck!
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
I'm being completely stupid but on lowering spring do the coils closer together go at the top or bottom?
Thanks given by:
Doesn't matter bud. I wondered the same thing when I went to KrisB to get mine done and he said it doesn't matter as long as both sides are the same.
Thanks given by:
Going to undertake this in the next few weeks.

I've bought some new top mount bearings cos they were cheap, but is it really necessary to change the whole top mount? I don't have any clicking / knocking from the front, I was just going to do the bearings as a matter of course.

Am I right in thinking you can drop the whole shock / spring unit out without having to compress the spring at all? Then I can clamp the spring and remove the top mount whilst the whole assembly is off the car?

I'm going to order new pinch bolts too, just because they're cheap and could be corroded to buggery.

Worth getting a mate to come over and help?
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(04-02-2014, 03:59 PM)C.A.R. Wrote: Going to undertake this in the next few weeks.

I've bought some new top mount bearings cos they were cheap, but is it really necessary to change the whole top mount? I don't have any clicking / knocking from the front, I was just going to do the bearings as a matter of course.

Am I right in thinking you can drop the whole shock / spring unit out without having to compress the spring at all? Then I can clamp the spring and remove the top mount whilst the whole assembly is off the car?

I'm going to order new pinch bolts too, just because they're cheap and could be corroded to buggery.

Worth getting a mate to come over and help?

Seeing as you have new top mounts, just pop them onto the coilovers, assuming that's what's replacing it.

Then yeh, no need to compress springs, old lot off, new lot on. you can single hand it, get an axle stand so the driveshafts/hubs dont fall too far if it's your first time ThumbsUp
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Couple of tips for ya;

Get a wire brush on those exposed threads before trying to undo them. You'd be surprised how a tiny piece of crud can bind up a nut, no matter how much penetrating spray (or WD40 if that's your thing) you put on.

Leave the nut on the track rod end ball joint thread, just undo it till it's at the end before smacking it with a hammer. But, there is no need if you hold a hammer face tight against the BJ body, and smack the other side of the BJ with another hammer. Comes out all time for me and no need to smack the threaded part. Or you can buy a BJ seperator...

When seperating the hub from the strut, use a sump plug tool. Simply put the 8mm sqaure end into the gap at the strut clamp and turn 90'. It'll spread the clamp allowing the hub to come away from the strut with mere hand power. Plus, if you leave the sump plug tool in the hub, it makes it easy to put back on.
Thanks given by:
How does she handle now ?
Thanks given by:
When I did mine the other day I only removed the drop link (16/17mm) and the pinch nut that holdes the strut near the hub.

Didn't need to undo or remove the other bits.

Seemed like it wasn't going to budge until I started hitting the bracket the drop link goes through with a hammer.

Also grease was useful when refitting new struts.

Piece of piss really but the design of how the strut connects to the hub is pretty poor.

Datsun engineering is far superior.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Bumping. Do you not need to remove the BJ from the wishbone? I've bashed the hub down pretty far and the shock is nearly out but the wishbone won't go any lower as it is now sitting on the subframe.

How did you get around this?
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Sometimes that happens depending on what shocks you have. Usually not an issue but I have come across it. Bash it back on. Tighten up. Remove bj. Bash it down and support hub during the change over. Hope this helps. Ps 206s are the worst for it usually though.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
I managed to get the strut out without removing the BJ. I went and bought a BJ fork and bashed it with a BFOH for ages and ages and it didn't budge.

So, I jacked the hub up until the spring was quite compressed then put spring compressors on. This mean that when the hub went backt down the bottom of the strut was just about high enough to get out.

Driveshaft wept a bit of gearbox oil before I quickly jacked the hub back up (let it drop too much). Leaking appears to have stopped. Do I need to do anything other than not let it drop again or does it need relocating or something?

Thanks for the help.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(06-05-2015, 10:11 PM)RetroPug Wrote: I managed to get the strut out without removing the BJ. I went and bought a BJ fork and bashed it with a BFOH for ages and ages and it didn't budge.

So, I jacked the hub up until the spring was quite compressed then put spring compressors on. This mean that when the hub went backt down the bottom of the strut was just about high enough to get out.

Driveshaft wept a bit of gearbox oil before I quickly jacked the hub back up (let it drop too much). Leaking appears to have stopped. Do I need to do anything other than not let it drop again or does it need relocating or something?

Thanks for the help.

Should be OK, as long as the leak has stopped. It might be worth topping up/changing the gearbox oil though, depends how much you've lost.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Probably not more than 100ml. I might have a bit in the garage. Cheers. Smile

Project Thread
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Guide: The Ultimate Bilstein Suspension Guide Eeyore 8 6,237 29-08-2017, 10:29 AM
Last Post: Eeyore
  Guide - Removing Front Bumper Ambrosio 18 18,023 21-10-2015, 09:06 PM
Last Post: cheapo
  Guide: Front and Rear seat removal ginge191 15 13,618 09-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Last Post: ginge191