306 2001 1.4 1360cc drinking fuel / Poor MPG

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
306 2001 1.4 1360cc drinking fuel / Poor MPG
Hello All,

My 2001 306 1.4 1360cc is drinking fuel like crazy!

It only gives me 80/90 miles round town with £20 / 14.5 Litres of fuel?

Does anyone have any idea on what could be wrong?

I would be really appreciate any help!

Thank You

Happy New Year
Thanks given by:
Without more symptoms it could be a list as long as a toilet roll....
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Thats about 28mpg...

Not bad for a prettt inefficient old 1.4 around town
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
That's terrible! I had 2 2001 1.4s and both averaged between 40 and 45mpg.

Check for fuel leaks. Also does it run ok? Any smoke? Engine light on?
Thanks given by:
(01-01-2014, 12:18 PM)Toms306 Wrote: That's terrible! I had 2 2001 1.4s and both averaged between 40 and 45mpg.

Check for fuel leaks. Also does it run ok? Any smoke? Engine light on?

rreally? round town? woh

If it is indeed bad, I would be thinking lambda sensor, fuel leak as you said, or maybe a good freaking service and fuel filter wouldnt hurt?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Mostly round town, I was at college at the time so a lot of rush hour traffic, plus a busy 35-40mph B road though so maybe expect a bit less if it's all town, but definitely not that bad lol, I averaged 35mpg in a 1.8 in the same conditions!

When the Lambda failed on mine it brought up the EML, I can't remember if the failed MAP brought up the EML though which is why I asked about running.....without a MAP they do use a lot but run like crap as well!
Thanks given by:
Hello Everyone!

Firstly Thank You Everyone for replying!

The car is a 306 2001 X-Reg 1.4 1360cc with only 65k mileage.

The car has no fuel leaks.

It runs really well, but when my dad drove it to drop me to College, he said that it feels like my clutch is on its way out!

The clutch pedal is really hard when you press down on the clutch.

It does has some steam coming out of exhaust but only for a few mins when started, or when it’s really cold outside or in the morning.

No Engine Lights on.

Had a service done in September, The garage used cheapest parts from Eurocarparts:

Air Filter: http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Peugeo...768&000008

Oil Filter: http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Peugeo...337&000231

Bosch Spark Plugs: http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Peugeo...c72&000301

Engine Oil: TRIPLE QX Semi Synthetic Engine Oil 5L

No Fuel Filter was changed.

Also just has the car MOT'd Yesterday and it passed without any advisories! The Garage also said that the clutch was slipping, but does this make a difference on fuel consumption?

Hope this information helps. I would be really appreciate any help!

Thank You

Happy New Year

Sam
Thanks given by:
Ahh, the clutch slipping will have an impact on consumption, yes. I'm not sure it'd affect it quite that badly but it definitely will have an affect as you're not getting 100% of the engines power through to the gearbox with the clutch slipping.

Apart from that everything sounds good! It cant be over-fuelling as that'd mess up the emissions and fail MOT.

Also that small amount of steam from the exhaust is normal in this weather.
Thanks given by:
28mpg? Sounds about right for a 1.4 in a car that heavy. Change up a gear at 2-2500rpm and use more throttle. That will help.

Not much you can do if you're only doing short journeys.

As Tom says, it's clearly running okay if it passed emissions.
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:
It can be overfuelling, the emissions test is only light throttle, you're not even off the idle track for that.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
(01-01-2014, 08:12 PM)Martin306 Wrote: 28mpg? Sounds about right for a 1.4 in a car that heavy. Change up a gear at 2-2500rpm and use more throttle. That will help.

Not much you can do if you're only doing short journeys.

As Tom says, it's clearly running okay if it passed emissions.

My S reg 306 1.4 gets 40-45mpg and that's on 125k. I can crack 50mpg on a motorway run.

Whip the plugs out and see what they're like.

Not sure if TUs are suspceptible as some of the XU's for plugs. I've always fitted known brands to mine and gapped appropriately. They also have an ECU temperature probe for controlling fueling relevant to the engine water temperature. These can fail, making the car run richer. Only a tenner or so from GSF/ECP and internet and easy to fit.
Thanks given by:
(02-01-2014, 07:52 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: It can be overfuelling, the emissions test is only light throttle, you're not even off the idle track for that.

It's not overfuelling. The car is being driven around town. Lots of stopping and setting off again, likely journeys of less than 5 miles so the engine is never really getting a chance to heat up and "lean out" to optimum. 28mpg is not unacceptable.

Emissions test is conducted at 2 speeds. idle and fast idle (2-3000 rpm) so you would be "off the idle track" Tongue That is why the fast idle test exists.
Thanks given by:
Hello Everyone!

Firstly thanks once again everyone for replying!

Toms306, Clutch is slipping, it passed emissions on MOT test. I don’t know where steam is coming from, the water in radiator is not going down at all.

Martin306, Other people are getting around 40MPG. Mines is miles out! I do change gears at 2200 – 2500 RPM. My journeys are mainly 2 miles to college and 2 miles back home (7 minutes each way), or at most 3.5 miles to my friend’s house and 3.5 miles back home (12 minutes each way). It passed emissions on MOT test.

Rippthrough, Is there a way I can check for over fuelling?

Alan_M, WOW! That is really good! Wish mine was going me that! Someone recommended that I should Bosch Super 4’s instead of the one I got at the moment. What is an ECU temperature probe? Is it also known as the Temperature Sensor? I don’t mind replacing it!

Martin306, MOT passed on both idle and fast idle test.

Thank You Everyone for all your help.

Sam
Thanks given by:
Super4s wont make any difference.

Just realised you have the issue with your brakes...I would put good money on these issues being connected...

Binding brakes would reduce mpgs

However your journeys are the worst possible journeys for good mpgs...so short I bet the car hasnt got warm by time you have stopped...cold engine = poor mpgs
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(02-01-2014, 11:45 PM)Martin306 Wrote:
(02-01-2014, 07:52 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: It can be overfuelling, the emissions test is only light throttle, you're not even off the idle track for that.

It's not overfuelling. The car is being driven around town. Lots of stopping and setting off again, likely journeys of less than 5 miles so the engine is never really getting a chance to heat up and "lean out" to optimum. 28mpg is not unacceptable.

Emissions test is conducted at 2 speeds. idle and fast idle (2-3000 rpm) so you would be "off the idle track" Tongue That is why the fast idle test exists.

No, you are not off the idle track at all, the throttle pot has twin tracks on these, the idle track runs up to about 10% of full throttle to give better resolution for low throttle openings, you are NOT off that for fast idle, not even close.

When mine was standard I used to be getting around 35-40mpg on short journeys, and mines the shitty single point injection system with the underfloor cat which does take much longer to come off the enrichment warmup than the multi's, but even then most TU's don't take long to warm up, they hold a lot less water and oil than the XU units and as standard have intake manifold heaters and a hot air feed to the intake for cold starts.

As Piggy says, check the brakes over. Don't bother with the super 4's, if your existing plugs are in good condition they won't make any difference.
Thanks given by:
(03-01-2014, 12:03 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: No, you are not off the idle track at all, the throttle pot has twin tracks on these, the idle track runs up to about 10% of full throttle to give better resolution for low throttle openings, you are NOT off that for fast idle, not even close.

When mine was standard I used to be getting around 35-40mpg on short journeys, and mines the shitty single point injection system with the underfloor cat which does take much longer to come off the enrichment warmup than the multi's, but even then most TU's don't take long to warm up, they hold a lot less water and oil than the XU units and as standard have intake manifold heaters and a hot air feed to the intake for cold starts.

As Piggy says, check the brakes over. Don't bother with the super 4's, if your existing plugs are in good condition they won't make any difference.

I wasn't having a go Big Grin

Still, there's no way you'd get 40mpg over a 2 mile journey average. especially since it's winter and temperatures are colder.
Thanks given by:
Nope, but 25 is a bit dire. Mine'll do that and the poor thing is due some serious TLC!
Thanks given by:
Took the car south london, gave me a lot more milage!
Thanks given by:
Looks like it was the clutch that was the problem.
Thanks given by:
I know its not a pug but if u think that's bad u wanna have my fiesta for a day I can only get 90 miles to a full tank round town and about 200 miles down the motorway that Is a 1.4 too lol forgetting the fact that it was made in 1988 its still crap
Thanks given by:
(20-01-2014, 09:57 PM)kierangent Wrote: I know its not a pug but if u think that's bad u wanna have my fiesta for a day I can only get 90 miles to a full tank round town and about 200 miles down the motorway that Is a 1.4 too lol forgetting the fact that it was made in 1988 its still crap

Yeah but the tank is tiny!
Thanks given by:
its about 45 litres iirc
Thanks given by:
(21-01-2014, 06:58 PM)kierangent Wrote: its about 45 litres iirc

Nae danger you're doing 9mpg with a 1.4 fezz about town, hello Mr bore wash. it would be buggered by now.

Get your carb set properly!
Thanks given by:
(21-01-2014, 09:12 PM)Martin306 Wrote:
(21-01-2014, 06:58 PM)kierangent Wrote: its about 45 litres iirc

Nae danger you're doing 9mpg with a 1.4 fezz about town, hello Mr bore wash. it would be buggered by now.

Get your carb set properly!

Carb? You do realise they aren't carb'd engines right?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
yh its on a carb its all been set up and jetted as its had a performance cam but that shouldn't be that bad on fuel haha I cant wait to put my 1.6 engine in on a set of twin 40's but I ill be getting another 306 as a Dailey
Thanks given by:
Sorry i misread above. Thought you was talking about the 306 being on a carb lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
yh lol I shouldn't really be about a ford on a Peugeot page haha
Thanks given by:
We dont mind fords...

But I have to say a '88 1.4 cvh on single carb doing 9mpg...something is wrong
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
that's what I thought and I don't thrash it because she is getting old its only done 66000 mines really don't get it but its coming off the road nest month then I will be getting a ph1 306 derv hopefully
Thanks given by:
Looks like it was the Clutch!
Thanks given by: