Whats happened here :O

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats happened here :O
Lightbulb 
I could never get my power steering cap off ever since I had the car. (Been about 2 months now) In the end I got a hammer to knock it free.

I was greeted with this :O

[attachment=12156]

[attachment=12157]

Reason why I needed to take the cap off was to check the level as my steering has always been heavier then normal, now I no why. Has it just gone bad due to old age?
Thanks given by:
Looks like its had water in there at some stage
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I think someone used strawberry custard instead of p/s fluid..
Thanks given by:
Yeah properly taste like it to. Anyone no how to drain the system?
Thanks given by:
Take a pipe off and spin it lock to lock? Dont leave it running dry though, that'll probably shag it :/
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=63073
Thanks given by:
Best bet is to remove unions down at the rack and drain at lowest point...with front end jacked up too. Then with wheels hanging you can go lock to lock.

Big tray underneath though coz it goes everywhere

Alternatively if you have looooaaads of oil spare...put the return pipe to a drain pan and run it and just keep putting fresh oil in till its normal
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
as said above pipe off drain fluid, if I were you I buy 5ltr of fluid change then leave it a week or so and change it again flush all the crap out of it, re the cause of the contamination, PS problems are usually leaks or worn pumps, the only time I've seen gunk like that is when someone as topped up the PS res with coolant or washer fluid, last year my father in-law asked me to change the brake pads on his C8, I didn't bother asking him why just assumed he'd checked them when I removed the wheels the pads were like new so I asked him why he'd thought they were worn, he said well the brake fluid level was very low which can indicate either a leak or worn pads, I had to agree with this logic so if the pads were OK then the fluid had gone somewhere so I looked for a leak and found nothing it was then I asked him where he'd put the brake fluid and (you guessed it ) he indicated the PS reservoir, 1/2 litre of DOT 4 in the PS system, nice Smile
Thanks given by:
I will get myself a big tub of oil I think as its to cold to start lying under cars now!!! The pump it's self doesn't make a noise so hopefully some tit has put the wrong stuff in Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Looks like the numpty that owned it before you got confused as to which one was the coolant lol

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(20-12-2013, 01:39 PM)Seb_Ryan Wrote: I think someone used strawberry custard instead of p/s fluid..

Or Strawberry angel delight?
...85cc Petrol 0 Doors... - ...135MPG... - ...£17 Tax...
Thanks given by:
I wish it was angel delight!!!
Thanks given by: