Drivers side, drive shaft question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drivers side, drive shaft question
I changed the drivers side hub yesterday, all went well, when i took the hub nut off and pulled the shaft out the back of the hub, i must of pulled the shaft towards me a bit, and a little gearbox oil came out.
Now i thought that the drivers side shaft was held into the housing by the 2 funny bolts?
So is it right that when i pulled it i lost a little gearbox oil, as i thought if it was held in with the 2 bolts you shouldn't be able to pull it out with out undoing them?

Cheers Dave
Thanks given by:
Yeah you're right, the intermediate bearing should be held in with those L shaped bolts.

Usually have trouble getting that shaft out, rather than it just falling out lol.
Thanks given by:
Need to have a look then i guess, should of looked yesterday when i was doing the hub, but it didn't dawn on me until it was all back together that i shouldn't of been able to pull that shaft out.

Wonder if the L shaped bolts are damaged. Anyone know where on service box they are?
Thanks given by:
http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/doc...refaff=N5A 3 32E65A&idFct=FCT0019

3252 04

I don't see how they'd be damaged though, more likely that they've been put back in wrong. Could also be that the bearing isn't on the shaft properly I guess.
Thanks given by:
Nice one cheers, yeah that's what i was thinking that maybe the inner race of the bearing is not connected to the shaft any more. Will have a look tomorrow if the weather is ok.
If the bearing has detached from the shaft i guess that's new shaft time?
Thanks given by:
Well got under the car yesterday and had a quick look, and one of the nuts was lose, had a quick play but couldn't get the l shaped end to catch, wondering if it has broken off, and the bearing looks like it has seen better days, so going to whip it all out tomorrow so i can have a better look, got 2 new bolts and nuts from Pug. Will probably just chuck a new shaft in while it is all out.
Thanks given by:
If you need a drivers side shaft I have one for sale
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Got the drive shaft out today, and one of the L shaped bolts, the L shaped bit on the end was missing had broken off, and the other one wasn't located right it was bolted up against the bracket rather than the bearing, so that explains why the shaft just pulled out. The drive shaft isn't in that bad condition so going to refit it with 2 new L shaped bolts and make sure they are located correctly and all should be good.

Don't know how long it has been like that, as i have had the car for 3 years and have never touched the shaft so must of been like that for a while.
Thanks given by:
Hmm, never seen a broken one before lol. At least its a simple fix though.
Thanks given by:
Yeah i just hope the shaft lasts now, i had a new one in the back of the car ready to go on, and i was going to just fit it, but when i got the old one out and compared it to the new one, Euro car parts had given me the wrong shaft, so the old one had to go back in. No one else near me had one in stock all of them said it was a special order part.
Thanks given by:
Ah that sucks lol. Confused

Probably not much help now but 'J and R CV joints' online were doing HDi shafts for a decent price and haven't heard of any problems with them.
Thanks given by:
Cool, will have a look, i think it will need doing sooner rather than later, but it is fine at the moment.

Just had a look, they are a good price.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Drive shaft gear box seal Welshy_Pete 9 2,035 12-03-2014, 07:38 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  Drivers side drive shaft, nuts titch 3 1,036 09-01-2014, 06:00 PM
Last Post: titch
  Drive shaft/Diff puglove 18 2,606 02-08-2013, 09:02 AM
Last Post: Connor