306 HDI no forth gear issue

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
306 HDI no forth gear issue
My Peugeot 306 is waiting to be diagnosed, but it won't go into forth. AA man checked underneath to see if the 'Rods were connected' - they were, so he thinks it may be 'more serious'. Lucy me.

Does this sound like a selector issue or a whole new/different gearbox?

I am trying to decide on what to do next as can not be without a car. The car has loads of service history and work done, but it has done 193000, so more interesting for someone who needs a home for a great engine and for me to move on I think.

Any ideas?
Thanks given by:
Moved to correct section.

Well you can pick up a HDI gearbox for not much money, Toms306 on here was giving one away not long back, usually around £50, seems a shame to sack off a good motor just because of a gearbox, only issue is it'll be pricey in labour, going rate for a new gearbox and clutch is around £300 in labour.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(29-12-2013, 03:53 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Moved to correct section.

Well you can pick up a HDI gearbox for not much money, Toms306 on here was giving one away not long back, usually around £50, seems a shame to sack off a good motor just because of a gearbox, only issue is it'll be pricey in labour, going rate for a new gearbox and clutch is around £300 in labour.

sorry it was in the wrong place, but thank you. Its always tricky when your not sure how much it will cost £500 instead of £3000 for another HDi is better for now.

I will search for a gearbox now so I can save the garage sometime.
Smile

s
Thanks given by:
£3000 for a 306 HDi????????
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yeah as piggy says, a decent HDI can be picked up for under a grand, mint ones are rarely over 2 grand. Dum Dum bought an estate with 36k for under 3 grand if I remember right...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(29-12-2013, 03:58 PM)Piggy Wrote: £3000 for a 306 HDi????????

well I noticed since I bought my mint one at £2000 three years ago they are much more difficult to find; £3000 is my top for one that has maybe only been driven 60K-70K - this is my dream of course.
Thanks given by:
(29-12-2013, 04:02 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Dum Dum bought an estate with 36k for under 3 grand if I remember right...
Yeah I did, that was 2 or 3 years ago now and about £2650 iirc

My current estate is just shy of 240k, cost me £500, sailed through its MOT after 6 months of me owning it and generally hasn't missed a beat.

Anyway back on topic, HDi gear boxes can be had from about £30 if you know where to go but for a low mileage one off ebay itll be about £100-£150. While the gearbox is off you would be as well having the clutch done as its only 6 more bolts and a genuine valeo one is less than £100. that way you have the peace of mind that the clutch isn't going to give up next week.

The gearboxes on these cars do go if they dont have their oil changed and if they have huge mileages or are tuned, Ive stripped 5th out of a few gearboxes.
Thanks given by:
(29-12-2013, 04:39 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(29-12-2013, 04:02 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Dum Dum bought an estate with 36k for under 3 grand if I remember right...
Yeah I did, that was 2 or 3 years ago now and about £2650 iirc

My current estate is just shy of 240k, cost me £500, sailed through its MOT after 6 months of me owning it and generally hasn't missed a beat.

Anyway back on topic, HDi gear boxes can be had from about £30 if you know where to go but for a low mileage one off ebay itll be about £100-£150. While the gearbox is off you would be as well having the clutch done as its only 6 more bolts and a genuine valeo one is less than £100. that way you have the peace of mind that the clutch isn't going to give up next week.

The gearboxes on these cars do go if they don't have their oil changed and if they have huge mileages or are tuned, I've stripped 5th out of a few gearboxes.

Thank you.

I have also stripped the 5th gear out of my last one that had done 220K. I do a lot of miles.

Ok, I think I will get a new gearbox and pass the car on to my Brother. He knows what spanners to use and I think as more things go, which they will, he will be able to do things himself. Then I don't waste the car and all that has been replaced so far. Back to search for its replacement.
Thanks given by:
You could get a low mileage mint hdi for 1500
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by: