Stripping head, more engine questions :)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stripping head, more engine questions :)
Bumping this up again.

How do I remove the valve stem seals/refit them with out killing them?

I see there threaded so do I use pliers to twist them on/off? Or is there another way?

Thanks in advance Smile

Thanks given by:
Valve stem seal pliers is the proper/easy way.

You can normally fit new ones (don't ever re-use old ones) using an appropriate deep socket to gently tap them into place

(29-12-2013, 04:12 PM)Piggy Wrote: And I wana come to your engineering firm...my local charged me over a £100 for a skim n test Sad

Depending which side of the Cotswolds you're on, give Gardias Engine Services in Witney a shout - that's who has done all my engine machining work for years now. They do an excellent job and they're reasonably priced - from memory a skim is about £35 for example.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Rip the old valve steam seals off with pliers and then fit new 1s. They aren't very expensive and if you get a head set they should be included
Thanks given by:
go steady with pliers...the valve guides are quite soft, I have damaged one in past being too hasty

(24-01-2014, 12:46 PM)powerandtorque Wrote:
(29-12-2013, 04:12 PM)Piggy Wrote: And I wana come to your engineering firm...my local charged me over a £100 for a skim n test Sad

Depending which side of the Cotswolds you're on, give Gardias Engine Services in Witney a shout - that's who has done all my engine machining work for years now. They do an excellent job and they're reasonably priced - from memory a skim is about £35 for example.

thats the firm I used!!!...it was near whitney anyway, two old blokes ina well kitted two storey workshop on a little trading estate
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I've got a genuine Peugeot head set so I am replacing them just want to no how to get them on with out damaging as there threaded so carnt see tapping them on doing them any good?

Thanks given by:
threaded?! they will have little ridges, but seals arent threaded!?

a 11mm or 12mm socket I think it is (deep) wiil hold nicely over one, and gently tap with a rubber mallet till the tone changes

make sure its nice n square before you tap it
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(24-01-2014, 02:06 PM)Piggy Wrote: threaded?! they will have little ridges, but seals arent threaded!?

a 11mm or 12mm socket I think it is (deep) wiil hold nicely over one, and gently tap with a rubber mallet till the tone changes

make sure its nice n square before you tap it

Oooo thought it was threaded lol this is why u ask questions cos I would have been sat trying to twist it on ha ha!

We'll I will tap them on then Smile just stripping it down ready to take it to be skimmed And tested....

Will update when I brake something Wink

Thanks given by:
then when you got to refit the valves, make sure they are super clean with a little lube on the top end of valve so as to not damage the new seals
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I would fit the new seals after the head has come back from being skimmed and cleaned, not before.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
(24-01-2014, 02:23 PM)Piggy Wrote: then when you got to refit the valves, make sure they are super clean with a little lube on the top end of valve so as to not damage the new seals

Ok will do that thanks Smile

(24-01-2014, 02:37 PM)powerandtorque Wrote: I would fit the new seals after the head has come back from being skimmed and cleaned, not before.

Yer that's the plan anyway thanks

Thanks given by:
Bump up on this head come back from its skim and pressure Test, gonna start rebuilding it tomorrow.

How do I remove the injector fire seals?

Thanks given by:
Dig em out with a screw driver
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(11-02-2014, 04:00 PM)Tom Wrote: Dig em out with a screw driver

Is that only way? Bit risky if they fall inside head and carnt get them back out? Or can they only come one way?

Thanks given by:
You talking the silver fire seals or the copper injector seals?

Ideally you'd get them out with some picks

But tapping with a small screwdriver and tap them gently with a hammer to loosen them if they're stuck.

Easier to see what you're doing if you get a torch in there too.

The copper washers can be a bit of a bugger, but tapping them round gently with a screwdriver until they break loose is the way. You may have to tap away to bend them, almost cut them in half if they're that seized in.

Again, be careful to try and not damage the the ali under them. The copper is pretty soft and you can end up marking the injector seat underneath.

You can get the injector seats cut again if you do mangle them. You may have to run slightly thicker copper washers to compensate though if you do.

Is the head thats off the car? If so, any bits do fall down the hole, you can blow them through with an airline and they'll come out through the precup holes.
Thanks given by:
That's good info there zx thanks it is the small silver seals I'm on about, got the copper washers out already, I will give it ago ttomorrow but if worst comes to worst shal I just leave them as they are and not bother replacing them?

Thanks given by:
If you can't get them out, put new one in on top of the old ones

You deffo want them in
Thanks given by:
(11-02-2014, 08:32 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: If you can't get them out, put new one in on top of the old ones

You deffo want them in

Ok mate thanks will update how I get on with it tomorrow Smile

Thanks given by:
removed the fire seals easy!

Next issues are one injector in the old head is just spinning and will not come out what so ever any one got any tips on how i can get it out?

next is valve clearances what do i need to do???

Thanks given by:
For the injector get a screwdriver on it leavering it out whilst you turn it slowly. Didnt know you do valve clearances on these?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(12-02-2014, 02:25 PM)Tom Wrote: For the injector get a screwdriver on it leavering it out whilst you turn it slowly. Didnt know you do valve clearances on these?

Tied that no joy, and no didnt check because i didnt no i needed to Undecided

Thanks given by:
valve clearances are in haynes

off the top of my head i think they are

0.15mm intake and 0.3mm exhaust

but do double check

Thing is even if its out, you would need to find some different sized shims from somewhere to get them to spec. Peugeot do sell them, but not sure how much they are.

My engine recon place checks and reshims if necessary with a head skim, prob worth asking your place if yours is out as they should have a tin of shims Smile
Thanks given by:
(12-02-2014, 03:46 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: valve clearances are in haynes

off the top of my head i think they are

0.15mm intake and 0.3mm exhaust

but do double check

Thing is even if its out, you would need to find some different sized shims from somewhere to get them to spec. Peugeot do sell them, but not sure how much they are.

My engine recon place checks and reshims if necessary with a head skim, prob worth asking your place if yours is out as they should have a tin of shims Smile

Yer there right measurements just reading the Haynes now, gonna be a pain as I messed the buckets up with the shims in as didn't realise it made a difference, never mins live and learn will have a look at it tomorrow, just picked up a feeler gauge to test the gaps.

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  N/A head on a Turbo engine=Bad idea or not? johnny625 3 1,665 19-11-2022, 05:44 PM
Last Post: johnny625
  Head gasket and Engine rebuilds. weka 2 2,053 15-07-2019, 08:46 AM
Last Post: weka
  the more robust engine cylinder head niciou 4 1,667 03-07-2016, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Dave