Exhaust manifold design

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exhaust manifold design
(29-12-2013, 11:24 PM)Piggy Wrote: Yeah if you wana spend 10k on making a one off racing mani for your xud....then carry on

Apart from those we've made for years for our own cars in anything from knocking one up in a lunch hour to a couple of days for the worst ones.....yeah, cost us thousands that....Undecided
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
(29-12-2013, 11:28 PM)Rippthrough Wrote:
(29-12-2013, 11:24 PM)Piggy Wrote: Yeah if you wana spend 10k on making a one off racing mani for your xud....then carry on

Apart from those we've made for years for our own cars in anything from knocking one up in a lunch hour to a couple of days for the worst ones.....yeah, cost us thousands that....Undecided

Yeah, but unless you heat treat them and spend hours and hours on them, they crack - that's my whole point!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(29-12-2013, 11:28 PM)Piggy Wrote: The flange is the easy bit lol

I bow to your expertise at making exhaust manifolds. You've obviously made many more than me.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Knocking one up in a lunch hour doesnt constitue a high performance tuned tubular manifold in my eyes...nor can see it lasting long

I was referring to min cost of the racing manifolds you reffered to anyway
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(29-12-2013, 11:29 PM)Ruan Wrote: Yeah, but unless you heat treat them and spend hours and hours on them, they crack - that's my whole point!

Nope, it's just down to bad design, poor materials or crap welding, there's no heat treating or anything necessary.
Thanks given by:
(29-12-2013, 11:29 PM)Rippthrough Wrote:
(29-12-2013, 11:28 PM)Piggy Wrote: The flange is the easy bit lol

I bow to your expertise at making exhaust manifolds. You've obviously made many more than me.

Measure up, create cad drawing, send off, pay £30, receive in post in 7-10working days.

Yeah that was tough
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(29-12-2013, 11:31 PM)Piggy Wrote: Knocking one up in a lunch hour doesnt constitue a high performance tuned tubular manifold in my eyes...nor can see it lasting long

Well, that particular manifold had the engine make 15bhp more than even the manufacturers own race cars, and it did 3 years and it's still perfect.....
Thanks given by:
But Ripp', we all dont have your workshop, welder, tools, and experience and expertise
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(29-12-2013, 11:33 PM)Piggy Wrote: Measure up, create cad drawing, send off, pay £30, receive in post in 7-10working days.

Yeah that was tough

Yep, spend an hour measuring and checking, draw it up, outsource it and wait a week, as opposed to the rest of the manifold where you can make it yourself in a couple of days at the worst, and hour or two if it's not bad.
You were saying?
Thanks given by:
But many of us COULD make a log style mani and get same result
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(29-12-2013, 11:34 PM)Piggy Wrote: But Ripp', we all dont have your workshop, welder, tools, and experience and expertise

And yet you keep telling me I'm wrong?
We don't have much gear, probably not much more than Darren has to hand, he doesn't seem to have any trouble making manifolds either.
Thanks given by:
(29-12-2013, 11:35 PM)Rippthrough Wrote:
(29-12-2013, 11:33 PM)Piggy Wrote: Measure up, create cad drawing, send off, pay £30, receive in post in 7-10working days.

Yeah that was tough

Yep, spend an hour measuring and checking, draw it up, outsource it and wait a week, as opposed to the rest of the manifold where you can make it yourself in a couple of days at the worst, and hour or two if it's not bad.
You were saying?

A couple of DAYS? So its simpler to spend days making a flange than paying £30 for one?
Plus as I said, most of us dont have what you have available to us.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(29-12-2013, 11:35 PM)Piggy Wrote: But many of us COULD make a log style mani and get same result

And you still need:

Flange
Tube
Bends/some way to bend it
Welder.

For both designs.
So what's so hard about going for an EL tubular over the log?
Thanks given by:
Yeah so for the majority of us making a log type mani would give us all the benefits we needed if not more going on power figures of different engines!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(29-12-2013, 11:36 PM)Piggy Wrote: A couple of DAYS? So its simpler to spend days making a flange than paying £30 for one?
Plus as I said, most of us dont have what you have available to us.

For the manifold, not the flange.

The exhaust on the buggy was made with a welder and an angle grinder.
You're telling me most people that are making a log manifold don't have those?
Thanks given by:
[Image: 4bt_2_002.346192649_std.JPG]

Pipe bender :/

My point is that I can design it so it won't foul anything, won't crack, perform acceptably well....

And for *ME* cost around the same.

Unless you know someone who'll do all of that on a tubular for less than ~£400
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Well if you wana knock us all up some tuned tubular manis nice n cheap...then I will be first to pay buddy

(29-12-2013, 11:39 PM)Ruan Wrote: [Image: 4bt_2_002.346192649_std.JPG]

Pipe bender :/

My point is that I can design it so it won't foul anything, won't crack, perform acceptably well....

[attachment=12323]

Space is the other issue to be fair
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(29-12-2013, 11:38 PM)Piggy Wrote: Yeah so for the majority of us making a log type mani would give us all the benefits we needed if not more going on power figures of different engines!

If you get the tubular tuned right you should be able to pull 6-7% out over a log manifold of similar dimensions, even with a turbo stuck on the end of it and mild cams. That's 10-15bhp for most of the tinkered with diesels that would need one...

Quote:Pipe bender :/

Wasn't used on the buggy, it was reclaimed dairy tube, because it was cheap as f*ck. That manifold probably cost less than your log would and it's f*cking huge lol
Thanks given by:
For petrols, yes, i couldnt agree more...

But go look at power figures for tuned diesels, your R15 making 107bhp per litre with fancy mani vs mazda 2.2 making 204 on a basic design
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Apart from the R15 has both air restrictors and a maximum boost limit of 30psi, that Mazda engine is running 55psi and no restrictors....the R15 could double it's horsepower if you designed it without the restrictors in there, and that's being conservative, without even allowing them more boost - it's up at full power by ~3800rpms, then flat lines from there.
Thanks given by:
So double it then...around 214bhp per litre...a massive 9-10bhp increase by spending a huge amount more time and money on a manifold
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yes, on 30psi. Instead of 55psi.

Do you not think it significant that even with those limitations in place, and the massive package and aerodynamic restrictions on space in a prototype racer, that they still went with the size and effort to get a tubular manifold in there instead of a log straight back to the turbo?

edit, typo
Thanks given by:
You just said 30psi?!

And to double the bhp figure to 1180bhp would need more than 30psi and wouldnt last long I wouldnt think
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Typo, and no, it wouldn't need more boost, that's the point, it's already making enough torque to hit that without the limiters.
Two different sets of regulations, you can't directly compare them without trying to make it equivalent - even a years difference between the Audi units makes a massive diffference to bhp/litre as the regs change - what you can do is look at what they've done and why they've done it...and if you look at why the Mazda unit uses that manifold, it'll be damned well obvious, if you think that's an easy and basic design to make you'll get a shock...
Thanks given by:
This is why I mentioned group buying on the flanges. Keeping the cost down is a good start. Long time ago I made this with a £20 Arc welder and a hacksaw.
[Image: DSC00055.jpg]
Took a lot of faffing and quite a long time. I bought the flanges from the U S of A because it was cheaper believe it or not. Its as close to equal length as possible in a shed so its possible without spending loads of dosh.
But for a few HP loss and many hours saved I would go with a log manifold.
Thanks given by:
I hope you kept it, I keep being told they cost thousands, stick in the for sale section sharpish!
Thanks given by:
You can misquote me all day Ripp', I dont care, but in hdi 2.0 or xud9 form a log manifold is going to see you all the way to the limits of the head without all the effort n time spent making such a manifold...such time n effort would be better spent elsewhere
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
This thread is hilerious
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Do you not mean to say:

Useful, informative and helpful?

lmao
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Piggy, the flow limits of the head don't affect the benefits of pulse tuning. You can benfit from pulse tuning on a 36bhp beetle engine, and their heads are terrible.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Exhaust Manifold Pressure gauge install HDIkyle 19 5,682 30-06-2015, 08:51 AM
Last Post: mr_fish
  Exhaust and inlet manifold spacers and studs andyyy 1 1,117 15-03-2015, 01:51 AM
Last Post: zx_volcane
  Exhaust manifold flange anto 15 3,479 04-03-2014, 12:15 PM
Last Post: anto