RetroPug's Ph.1 Diablo Gti-6

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RetroPug's Ph.1 Diablo Gti-6
Yeah it's behind the chassis leg. Note the trolley jack marks all over it aka. the calling card of the moron. Big Grin
The other side is not quite as crusty but still needs doing.

It's still going to Pugfest. After that I'm away for 2 weeks and during that time the MOT will run out. I'll sort it out after that.

This car is not going to get killed. Thanks for the encouragement.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Well, I haven't had it welded yet due to work being busy and me being abrood on holiday visiting the gf's family for a bit.

This weekend I set about doing the most essential work when your car has no MOT and needs repairing before it goes: cosmetic modifications. Big Grin

I started out with these, which were a bit grubby, especially near the driver's and passenger's buckles where people have grabbed them with their grimy hands:

[Image: x1mz4w.jpg]

[Image: 2it39t0.jpg]

So, I soaked them in warm water with some laundry soap mixed in:

[Image: 34nlhzk.jpg]

The water which remained after this was a bit horrible. Not very nice to think that these rub against our chests all day:

[Image: 28i0lxw.jpg]

After this, they looked a fair bit cleaner but there were still some stains and they still weren't as bright as they could have been, so I blasted over them with the pressure washer from a safe enough distance not to cause damage. This created a night and day difference between how they were previously and the colour has pretty much come out bright, primary colour red, as they were when new:

[Image: i5ykk5.jpg]

[Image: 2i95fuw.jpg]

[Image: ztu0qa.jpg]

I then pulled the rear half of the interior out of the car in order to swap them over. Had a bit of confusion as the rear belts were labelled for the opposite sides of the car and wouldn't extend which took a bit of headscratching!

[Image: 2hrib2g.jpg]

[Image: 2hekjl5.jpg]

They break up the all black of the interior quite well, and match the outside of the car. I'm very happy with them.

Last weekend I also started work on a set of morettes. I sanded off all the paint, then fillered all the imperfections, then sanded again with various grades, and painted them diablo red. The paintjob has turned out fairly well for a rattle can job. Trying to decide whether to fit them, get new inside lights for them, fit them with trumpets etc. I do have inside lamps but they're corroded and I haven't been able to get them to work yet. The outers work with sidelights, dipped and main beams.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
They look stunning mate.
Thanks given by:
Ooh did i label the rears wrong? lol my bad! look a million times better and really refreshes the interior Smile
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(10-08-2015, 09:15 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Ooh did i label the rears wrong? lol my bad! look a million times better and really refreshes the interior Smile

Yeah. I had about 45 minutes of swearing and googling how to un-jam a seatbelt mechanism, then a lightbulb came on over my head. lmao

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Rallye seat belts are
a brilliant touch Smile
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Those seat belts are a win mate
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys.

Still haven't sorted any welding, keep getting messed about and work obviously gets in the way too. Hopefully that'll change soon!

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Mate drop jonny a message regarding welding Smile
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
It's alright I've got someone coming in a couple of weeks. Smile

I will do if that doesn't work out though. Ideally wanted someone local to come to me as the car's run out of MOT completely.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
This car looks better and better every time i check in on this thread Smile
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Thanks, that's the plan!

The welder didn't turn up yesterday so I still can't get this MOT'd. That will now be next weekend.

I fit a new aux belt yesterday, and while reconnecting the battery I realised that the terminals had turned into soft cheese so these needed replacing.
Shiny new battery terminals fitted:

[Image: 28u19mv.jpg]

The car was washed and waxed as it has been sat for a while and I'd like it to be clean for the MOT. Unfortunately the lens was foggy.

[Image: 11sdm3d.jpg]

The contents of the wheel arches look rather nice. Shame the faces of the discs have some surface corrosion on them but a good hoon will sort that out in no time.

[Image: i3cva8.jpg]

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Well after being f*cked around loads it's finally repaired and it went off for its MOT. Failed on a bulb which I somehow missed when checking, wipers which I didn't agree with but replaced anyway, and randomly during the MOT the airbag warning light came on and reconnecting the under seat connector does not make it go out.

Thoroughly annoyed with this now and it feels like I'll never drive it.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(18-09-2015, 03:52 PM)RetroPug Wrote: Well after being f*cked around loads it's finally repaired and it went off for its MOT. Failed on a bulb which I somehow missed when checking, wipers which I didn't agree with but replaced anyway, and randomly during the MOT the airbag warning light came on and reconnecting the under seat connector does not make it go out.

Thoroughly annoyed with this now and it feels like I'll never drive it.
Compared to some you've done well!!

I hate the wiper blade one. I had the dealer try that on the gtr and they were only a few weeks old! Told them where to go!!

Shame you can't just take your airbag bulb out and put it in place of the one that's out elsewhere Smile
Thanks given by:
Wanna borrow my omp steering wheel? Then just tape over the light and jobs done Smile

Seriously you've had it alot better than most but its still annoying
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
was going to say just take the bulb out for the airbag light but you has ph1 steering wheel don't you? what a pain!

hopefully you'll sort it though, probably something stupid causing it
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys.

I know there aren't any major problems with the car but it's more the time. Been coming home early form work especially to get this sorted. It got driven for 1 week after pugfest and then that's it! I just want to drive it before winter before it's SORN!

It failed because of the non-airbag rally wheel. Light wasn't on when I dropped it off. Light came on during the MOT, so brought it home, put original wheel back on and wiggled the plug and reconnected which is usually the problem and now it's still on.

I'll try removing the plug under the seat altogether and just crimp connecting the wires or something perhaps as a first port of call. I've already checked the connections to the ECU and that the fused resistor that is pretending to be an airbag hasn't blown.

ANYWAY going abroad and changing my role at work and getting this fixed etc. etc. made me forget to upload pictures of this on the hillclimb, including a nice tripod. These pictures are my motivation!

[Image: 34po0n4.jpg]

[Image: nb18x.jpg]

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Looks great.. besides that stupid spoiler lol i still passionately hate that!
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(21-09-2015, 07:29 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Looks great.. besides that stupid spoiler lol   i still passionately hate that!

Well I love it so it's not coming off. Big Grin
It is a different shape to the horrible non-genuine ones though.

The red seatbelts look awesome as well!

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
looks well smart!
Thanks given by:
Thank you.

It has an MOT!

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(25-09-2015, 05:26 PM)RetroPug Wrote: Thank you.

It has an MOT!
Happy Friday!!
Thanks given by:
Woohoo! Mot done!

Those belts do look smart... Next time, just wrap them up in a couple thick pillow covers and chuck em in the washing machine Wink
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
:-) Good to see another ph1 on the road! :-)
Thanks given by:
Thanks all.
I can't wait to blatt past bland rep mobiles at the top of 2nd gear making lots of awesome noises. Big Grin

(in a safe and controlled manner that is both appropriate and legal on public roads, of course)

I may even get it on track some time soon.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(26-09-2015, 07:36 AM)RetroPug Wrote: Thanks all.
I can't wait to blatt past bland rep mobiles at the top of 2nd gear making lots of awesome noises. Big Grin

(in a safe and controlled manner that is both appropriate and legal on public roads, of course)

I may even get it on track some time soon (and get rid of that god awful irish spoiler just to make Matt-Rallye happy because deep down thats what matters in life) ninja

Fixed that for ya fella Wink
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(26-09-2015, 07:42 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote:
(26-09-2015, 07:36 AM)RetroPug Wrote: Thanks all.

I may even get it on track some time soon (and get rid of that god awful irish spoiler just to make Matt-Rallye happy because deep down thats what matters in life) ninja

Fixed that for ya fella Wink

It's not the horrible aftermarket one!
It's a genuine Peugeot SP pack one and it's gorgeous and has a 3rd brake light.

I think all this hate stems from a deep jealousy. Tongue

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Once this passed the MOT, I basically just drove it and enjoyed it. The insurance ran out in November so it has been off the road since then, insurance will be renewed in about 3 weeks as I'm hoping to get both my cars on one policy if possible.

While it has been off the road I swapped engine looms to see if I could fix the rev counter. The good news is I swapped looms and it fired up right away, the bad news is that it made no difference. lmao

I also painted the manifold and throttle body silver, and the fuel rail red and refitted those, and removed the slam panel and repainted that black so it's looking nice and fresh, along with painting the tow hook yellow as that was previously horrible and crusty. No pictures unfortunately s my phone has totally died.

The car unfortunately now needs welding on the other side to the one which was patched a few months ago. I've been gradually teaching myself to mig weld so hopefully once the weather gets drier I'll be rectifying this side and also probably taking the skirts off to see what else may need doing.

Really looking forward to another Pugfest and hopefully some great spring time driving.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Beautiful example mate. Be great to see it back on the road
Thanks given by:
It's getting there. Once welded it won't need done again for a long time.
Thanks given by: