RetroPug's Ph.1 Diablo Gti-6

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RetroPug's Ph.1 Diablo Gti-6
Been getting insurance quotes and my insurance is coming right down this year. It will be back on the road very soon. Smile
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
I re-insured and taxed this at the end of January, and have been driving it a bit. It goes really well. I've got a few more updates planned soon I hope.

Before taxing and re-insuring I swapped engine looms to see if that was causing my rev-counter issues but this had no effect. Whilst I was there I did the usual painting up of the inlet manifold & fuel rail, and also painted the slam panel and tow-hook whilst I had the front bumper off looking at the loom along there, which I now suspect to be the problem as it looks like it has a fair bit of heatshrink on a lot of the wires.

I had one side welded but a small hole has appeared on the other side of the car behind the front wheel arch where they all go. I will be attempting to repair this myself as I'm not convinced by the previous repair on the other side. There's also a bit of surface rust elsewhere that I'd like to grind down and treat, hopefully that will be sufficient.

Anyway, right after getting it on the road the bonnet release cable snapped. With a friend at work we managed to fit a new, genuine one. It appears that the ph.1 cable has been superceded by a new part number which replaces both halves of the cable but doesn't include the necessary clip for the slam panel s we had to do a bit of bodgery at the end to get it to work correctly.

No pictures really as my phone camera has totally given up and I'm certainly not allowed to take any at work either. New phone soon so pictures should be following in future updates.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
I picked up a set of S16 headlamps with yellow tints from John on here to restore. My headlamps horde now includes the fully restored set of ph.1 twin optics which are fitted, a mostly restored set of morettes, an unrestored, tatty set of morettes and now these.

They needed a bit of attention as the pictures show, but then that's the fun of restoring things!

[Image: sy600i.jpg]

[Image: z70ug.jpg]

[Image: wk2xeg.jpg]

I pulled them to bits, including removing the yellow-tinted filters inside them. Unfortunately, the chrome of the lenses looks like it might be tricky to save.

[Image: zj8185.jpg]

[Image: 20f6j4i.jpg]

The yellow filters that were inside the lenses had lost a lot of their yellow colour, which tends to be the problem with these lights:

[Image: szfqu1.jpg]

I then began re-colouring them:

[Image: htei2s.jpg]

The "re-coloured" photo is after one coating. I'll be applying more coats which should get them looking very yellow as they originally would have. At the moment I'm unsure whether or not to try to save the pitted and damaged chrome lenses or whether to try to fit these yellow filters into my normal ph.1 twin optic lights, which don't have the tabs to clip these in.

I also fitted a strut brace which I don't have any pictures of right now.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
I love the twin optics with the yellow inserts. Try and save them if you can
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Yeah I tried "rechroming" them...just didnt work... Hope its possible though
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
There are companies out there that re-chrome the lights on classic cars but it's not that cheap. I don't know if it works on plastics either. I'm just doing another yellow coating now.

The only real difference in the chrome part between these and the normal twin-optics seems to be little holes in it to mount the inserts to, so I might just come up with a method of mounting these in my normal twin-optics which are in really nice condition, maybe some strong adhesive or something.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Can you dremel/machine the slots in your good ones?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Possibly, some of the mounting lugs on the filters are broken as well unfortunately. One of them was already just loose. Not too keen on sticking them on permanently but we'll have to see if there's another way I suppose.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Some updates, hopefully they'll be a bit more regular now. I fitted a strut brace a while ago, no pictures of that at the moment.

Corner weights for this with just under a 1/4 tank of fuel:
FL: 374.8 FR: 375.4
RL: 185.6 RR: 217.4

Total: 1153.2kg
I'm fairly happy with this given that it has a full interior, a few bits and pieces in the boot and glovebox and I've added quite a lot of extra sound-deadening and mass loaded panels etc. My friend's clio 182 was around 1080kg with nearly a full tank.

I've also wired up an oil temperature gauge and voltmeter. Planning on running their illumination off the dash dimmer switch but I haven't done this yet. Also need to buy a 3rd gauge!

[Image: 2ildhsp.jpg]

I've developed a knocking which is my driver's side driveshaft so that's got to be replaced and a 2nd hand OE one is on the way. Also, my driver's side window dropped inside the door, I managed to get it back up and shut it but something's broken with that as well so need the door card off.

Also got a fair few other things on this I am hoping to give some attention to in the near future.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Thats mega light...considering book weight is 1215kg!

Where did you go to get it corner weighted pal? I'd love to do mine
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(25-03-2016, 07:24 PM)Piggy Wrote: Thats mega light...considering book weight is 1215kg!

Where did you go to get it corner weighted pal? I'd love to do mine

Calibrated corner weight pads at work so unfortunately I can't help you there.

Is that the book weight for a ph.1?

More fuel and a standard exhaust would add a fair bit to the rear.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Gauges are now illuminated. A 3rd one is in the post.

Fitted the S16 headlamps. I can't decide whether or not I really like them. My original lamps looked really good.

[Image: 2dv1l5v.jpg]

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
I think they look awesome
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
I wonder why the RR is so much heavier when the front has almost 50/50 weight distribution.
Thanks given by:
The S16 headlamps are definitely growing on me. Not sure why the RR is heavier, can't remember what was in the boot, maybe fuel sitting in one side of the tank mostly? No idea tbh.

[Image: jggu4h.jpg]

Met up with Ash on Friday and bought a jord rebuilt rear axle with 21mm TBs. It was powdercoated but in some places the coating hasn't lasted so I'll probably paint this before fitting. It also has refurbed rear calipers, new flexis, new HB cables and it also seems to have a stud conversion which I'll have to remove. No ABS sensors though.

[Image: 1199fee.jpg]

I also finally fixed my rev counter, unfortunately it slightly under reads as the needle has dropped below 0 and I can't get it to sit at 0. I'm still pretty pleased though I've been chasing this issue forever, now it is at least reading and working, just needs the needle re-setting or another rev counter fitting to the instrument cluster to get the exact correct number:

[Image: 2ymvfup.jpg]

That's pretty much it for now. I've recieved a replacement driveshaft so that will get done soon.

[Image: 2ce0zsp.jpg]

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Lights are ftw mate, keep 'em ;-)
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
I don't know, I'm still undecided on the lights.
Thanks given by:
[Image: 33kuf03.jpg]

Ash donated me these genuine badges when I picked up the new beam, top bloke!

I'll leave the lights for now. I've got absolutely loads of far more pressing things to do on this!

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
What fixed your rev counter issue in the end? Dodgy loom like you suspected?
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Looking very closely at the copper tracks on the circuit board on the back some were corroded, but then the actual rev counter itself was also faulty, so another cluster, plus another rev counter.

I definitely also have issues with the loom along the bumper though as there is some corrosion on the wires and RCL and oil pressure still do not work. I will be replacing or repairing this loom at some point as well.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Like your lights too! Smile love the car Smile
Thanks given by:
Thaks mate.

Still absolutely loads to do, just no time to do it! I've been gradually building up a stock of parts, here is a picture of some, but definitely nowhere near all of them:

[Image: 2ds0mmo.jpg]

Will be refurbing a set of genuine wishbones to swap on, with genuine berlingo/partner p-bushes, and lemforder front bushes. New track rods, new beam mounts, etc.

Hoping to be able to post better updates soon. I have driven it a few times and it already handles brilliantly with what I've upgraded & refreshed so far and never fails to put a smile on my face, can't wait to drive it once I've done more.

I've also booked a sprint day in June so looking forward to that!

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
I have one of those trade tins of waxoil on top of my tool cupboard, the bloody thing leaked everywhere lmao there's enough in one of those things to paint the whole car, let alone just the underside haha
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
lmao It's definitely going in the cavities...not sure if I'll be coating surfaces with it!

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Both the brakes and stud conversion removed from the beam. It's now mostly painted just needs a couple of touch ups and a bit of further cleaning.

Before:
[Image: 1199fee.jpg]

After:
[Image: 24wddld.jpg]

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Old beam off:

[Image: 25u06zt.jpg]

Jord/Andy rebuilt beam with VTS torsion bars on, brakes refilled & bled with new AP racing fluid & car put back on the floor. The rear ride height is a bit higher, and now matches the front. I'm very much looking forward to driving this.

[Image: 2jeogaf.jpg]

[Image: 2zojf45.jpg]

I did not refit the spare wheel & cage, and I have left the exhaust off for some fettling to be done to it before refitting. I've also got some spare, genuine wishbones to refurbish with all of the parts which I've accumulated for them.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Looking absolutely perfect. Fair play man
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Thanks! Looking forward to seeing yours at shows this year if you're hoping to make them?

If I ever get a garage then I'll be doing a fair bit more underside restoration like you've been doing to yours.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
I'm not going to fcs this year but I'll definitely be at pugfest, hopefully powered by jenvey haha
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
just had a quick read through Smile

i was a little undecided about the yellow insets, until i saw them on the car.

WOW..... she is stunning mate. those lights really set her off. absolutely stunning fella Smile
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by: