puggered's buggered bianca 6

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
puggered's buggered bianca 6
Given the discussion around content in the How to improve 306oc thread, thought I would add some of my own.
So having been looking for a bianca 6 for quite some time now as I fell in love with Cully's,
I finally found one on gumtree.
Big deal you may say, but under downunder these things are damn near impossible to get hold of.
800 miles later it now sits in my garage and is my winter project in between doing the wife's bidding.

Surprisingly straight and despite the crappy appearance the paint is excellent.
[Image: DSC_00691_zpsinu88d3a.jpg]

[Image: DSC_00701_zpsjzonbl9c.jpg]
and why it's buggered
[Image: DSC_00641_zpsfgkdugri.jpg]

[Image: DSC_00631_zpsafsa4kk6.jpg]

[Image: th_IMG_1532_zps8eozmv7i.mp4]

The result of a dealership that obviously has no idea.
This thing has had 16 new valves fitted and started rattling after the work was done, They then proceeded to fleece a further $2500(have the receipts) from the previous owner by replacing 16 lifters, cam belt, tensioners, idlers and water pump, etc and it still rattled.
At that point the previous owner drove it home and parked it up where it's been sat for the past 2 odd years.

Rep points for the first correct guess of the rattle Dodgy

It needs a few other things including getting rid of the ridiculous 3" exhaust, drivers seat, badges, a few bits of trim, etc.

I have new B8 fronts and grp N rears for it along with a set of brembos and suitably silly discs to fit up as well.
Also have a set of cyclones fitted up with new PS3's but I'm reluctant to use them as they're crap. Nospeak and I want some proper motorsport wheels to go over the brembos.
Might add something like this as well
[Image: IMG_1352_zpslwsmk5qo.jpg]

So all I have to do now is find me hammer Itwasntme
Thanks given by:
So what was the source of the ticking? Loose cam belt cover? D: Looks good and i like that someone has added a stone chip protector piece of vinyl to the bonnet. Havent see that on a 306 before.
Thanks given by:
If it's had that lot done, its been a snapper at some point. No mention of valve guides so I'll go with them....

Also, what the heck is that odd looking orange pipe on the end of the throttle body?
Cherry Red Rallye - Full on OEM resto.....
Thanks given by:
(15-04-2016, 09:25 AM)Eeyore Wrote: So what was the source of the ticking? Loose cam belt cover? D: Looks good and i like that someone has added a stone chip protector piece of vinyl to the bonnet. Havent see that on a 306 before.
Don't know yet, I haven't pulled it to bits.

(15-04-2016, 09:28 AM)Ben_w Wrote: If it's had that lot done, its been a snapper at some point. No mention of valve guides so I'll go with them....

Apparently not a snapper but it did drop a valve (burnt) hence the new ones. No guides mentioned in the receipts either.
Quote:Also, what the heck is that odd looking orange pipe on the end of the throttle body?
It's a joiner to the air filter, equally as ridiculous as the exhaust.
Thanks given by:
timed up wrong by the garage and bent more valves Wink

looks nice though great starting point Smile

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Racoon filter \thread Big Grin
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Yup, that's a tapper.

Will probably need 16 more valves and guides.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I like the stone chip guard! Wish I had had that on mine! My bonnet is disgusting!
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(15-04-2016, 04:58 PM)Matt Wrote: I like the stone chip guard! Wish I had had that on mine! My bonnet is disgusting!
part of a dealer protection pack I think, done well for chips but there's a small dent under it so it'll have to come off.

So went to start this mongrel thing this morning and as of 11pm it still won't start.

Checked fuel and spark. pump primes(although it runs for 5 sec).
Changed the cam position sensor - long shot but I had one.
Bought a new battery.
Put it on pp2000 - no faults, ECU unlocked so immobiliser is working.
Looked at loom, found bodge on 2 injector cables so fixed them properly.
Still won't start so I guess the crank angle sensor has decided to spit the dummy.
It fires a couple of times but won't run.
Thanks given by:
they will run without the cam sensor just not very well
the flywheel sensor is the critical one Wink

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
When you have PP2k running, it should say if the cam/crank has synchronisation under live data...

Check it definitely says "No Sync" when cranking so as you're not chasing a problem that doesn't exist Smile
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
(16-04-2016, 02:50 PM)cully Wrote: they will run without the cam sensor just not very well
the flywheel sensor is the critical one Wink

how 'bouts we just swap cars Undecided

(16-04-2016, 04:56 PM)Ruan Wrote: When you have PP2k running, it should say if the cam/crank has synchronisation under live data...

Check it definitely says "No Sync" when cranking so as you're not chasing a problem that doesn't exist Smile

wish I'd thought of that Doh , thanks Ruan

where exactly is this "no sync" under live data? I have readings from every sensor but nothing about cam or crank sensors
Thanks given by:
Update: I !@@##$%%%^ hate bosch spark plugs.
put some new NGK's in and it fires up immediately.
Thanks given by:
Almost the start of winter so made a head start (pun intended) on the tapping noise.
hmmmmmm!

[Image: DSC_00991_zpsp0e0seuz.jpg]

bit hard to see but the reliefs on #3 are very shiny.

[Image: DSC_01001_zpsizgvbque.jpg]

from this I'm guessing #3 bigend is not going to look to good Censored
Thanks given by:
Ouch, was the cam timing out when you stripped the engine down?
Thanks given by:
Still blows my mind that you're going into winter as we're going into summer. lol

Looks like that's your tapping though lol.
Thanks given by:
Bet you the bearings will be absolutely fine on cyl3, if there was any resistance the weak valve stems would have snapped long before it did any damage to the bearings/conrod.
Thanks given by:
There was a discussion over on the 6 forum many years ago about the effect on big ends after a belt had snapped. A lot of people suffered big end failure after belt snapping but there was no conclusive evidence they were linked. Some were going a matter of weeks after, some 50k after.
Personally if it were me and i had the head off for a rebuild, id have the rods out, do the rings and big ends whilst i was there. Parts arent exactly expensive in the grand scheme of things and its easy to do in the state its in.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(14-05-2016, 08:44 AM)306Dan Wrote: Ouch, was the cam timing out when you stripped the engine down?
Timing was spot on

(14-05-2016, 08:51 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Still blows my mind that you're going into winter as we're going into summer. lol

Looks like that's your tapping though lol.

Well when I say winter it was still 20 degrees today

(14-05-2016, 10:43 AM)Ruan Wrote: Bet you the bearings will be absolutely fine on cyl3, if there was any resistance the weak valve stems would have snapped long before it did any damage to the bearings/conrod.

(14-05-2016, 10:52 AM)Niall Wrote: There was a discussion over on the 6 forum many years ago about the effect on big ends after a belt had snapped. A lot of people suffered big end failure after belt snapping but there was no conclusive evidence they were linked. Some were going a matter of weeks after, some 50k after.
Personally if it were me and i had the head off for a rebuild, id have the rods out, do the rings and big ends whilst i was there. Parts arent exactly expensive in the grand scheme of things and its easy to do in the state its in.

This is exactly the thinking, When you stop and think about it.
The timing was spot on and #3 has rubbing in the cutouts and touched valves but only on this cylinder and only on the exhaust.
Would you not expect to see this or at least some marking on all 4 cylinders.?
The only other way valves are going to rub a single piston is either little end or big end clearance i would have thought.
The head is pretty close to it's last skim too.

Bigends, mains and thrusts are on order but I'm still deciding if I'll do the rings, the engine has been done before at some stage as the hone marks are still quite visible.
Of course if #3 bigend/littleend is gone then that changes the plan.
Thanks given by:
Hmm, I suppose they'd of rectified the timing when they did the lifters if it'd been out whether they'd noticed it or not
Thanks given by:
Incidentally the valves, they're not bent either. I've put them in the lathe and they're perfectly straight.

So I went a looking further down and into the bowels.
hmmmm! well that's just disappointing, me thinks they not mean't to look like this.

[Image: nu3be1_zpsmidsvwmg.jpg]

[Image: nu3be2_zpsv5ate2kq.jpg]

Surprisingly the crank mics up pretty good and only needs a polish.
The same can't be said for the rod though [Image: thumbsdown.gif]
Thanks given by:
Photo 
So after collecting the required parts to put the motor right, I thought I'd better crack on with it.
She ended up with a new crank
King Race main and bigends
Hastings competition rings
some tricky pistons and rods
and a balance.

The head and valves turned out to be fine and given they weren't that old, they stayed.
It's been built with the intention of going higher in the performance stakes at some stage.
Just waiting on a couple of things then it's back into the hole with it.

I'm lousy at taking progress pics though.

[Image: Photo%2017-07-2016%2010%2022%2024%20PM_zps9fgez0wn.jpg]

[Image: Photo%2017-07-2016%2010%2056%2053%20PM_zpsmakdogm4.jpg]
Thanks given by: