lights dipping, power loss

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lights dipping, power loss
Wondering if anyone has had this problem before. When driving along at night every now and then my headlights dip for a split second, its been doing it for a while but has recently got slightly worse. I've always suspected maybe bad earth somewhere or the fact that my battery terminals aren't as tight as I would like them. Within the last couple of days however I get an intermittent power loss, only for a split second but its enough to feel it, and I'm pretty sure my lights dip at the same time.

Anyone have any ideas/experience with a similar problem?
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Are the battery terminals easily dislodged? If so, that's probably your culprit.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
It could probably get the negative terminal off without loosening the bolt yeah.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
There ya go then

Just run along all the cables checkin each connection
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(22-12-2013, 10:05 PM)Ricky Wrote: Wondering if anyone has had this problem before. When driving along at night every now and then my headlights dip for a split second, its been doing it for a while but has recently got slightly worse. I've always suspected maybe bad earth somewhere or the fact that my battery terminals aren't as tight as I would like them. Within the last couple of days however I get an intermittent power loss, only for a split second but its enough to feel it, and I'm pretty sure my lights dip at the same time.

Anyone have any ideas/experience with a similar problem?

Hi. I have had the same problem. In my case it was the battery terminals. I had to insert metal spacers round posts and hey presto it cured it. I have since had other problem with earth point corroded and starter lead connection come loose. Cleaned and tightened both,seems to of cured it for now.
Thanks given by:
Hmm. May have to go check my battery, I'd put it down to puddles making the aux belt slip. But being lazy I hadn't yet tensioned it up
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
I'm going to get new battery terminals because the negative won't go any tighter and the positive is a horrible quick release type.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
My hdi did this was due to a bad battery.. The car would normally start fine but in cold weather the battery would be flat and unable to start it
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intermittent Loss of Power Alan_M 2 1,877 17-02-2020, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Charlie0
  Loss of power steering etc mattbarker32 5 1,359 10-03-2016, 02:54 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  occasional momentery loss of power pug306driver 11 2,490 16-11-2015, 08:52 PM
Last Post: steve1001