Oil change

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil change
that would be your gearbox lmao
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(23-12-2013, 11:36 AM)Piggy Wrote: that would be your gearbox lmao

what he said . . . . . ermmm is this your first oil change by any chance fella? . . .lmao
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
sorry, its not funny.

Its freaking hilarious lmao lol Rofl

oh and on a serious note...DO NOT DRIVE IT AN INCH BEFORE REFILLING THE GEARBOX!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Make sure you fill the gearbox with gear oil of the proper grade, 75w90 rings a bell but double check.

The gearbox filler is a black plastic bolt with a white breather in the top of the gearbox almost directly above the plug you drained the oil from. You'll need to remove the air intake pipe to get at it properly.

The engine oil sump plug is directly under the middle of the engine but might be at the back very low down rather than underneath.
Thanks given by:
(23-12-2013, 01:34 PM)Piggy Wrote: oh and on a serious note...DO NOT DRIVE IT AN INCH BEFORE REFILLING THE GEARBOX!

Errr...

OOPS!

Driven for miles with little to no gearbox oil... The box loved it!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Yeah thats the gearbox... Rofl
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Oh sh*t. That'll teach me for doin it hungover.

I have already driven it. Hope I've not knackered it.
Thanks given by:
I feel like such an idiot!

Just picked up some gearbox oil. Luckily I've captured all the gearbox oil so I know how much put back in.

Just to be clear, it's filled from the top under the air throttle intake?

Then I'll do my oil change (from the engine) and hope I've done no lasting damage
Thanks given by:
The gearboxes are pretty hardy.
The filler plug is on top of the gearbox buried under some air pipes between the battery and thermostat housing.
Its usually a black plastic nut (21/22mm rings a bell) with a white nipple on top of the nut that is the breather.

The gearbox takes 2l of oil so just pour in 2 bottles.

If you were closer I'd offer to help you with it.
Thanks given by:
I'm not to far away if your struggling pal
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Cheers guys. I'm still a little red faced here Sad

Luckily I don't need the car for a few days so gonna sort it after Christmas. Should be easy to sort now I know where I went wrong.

I'll be sure to get in touch if I need your help tho.
Thanks given by:
Isnt there a level plug on the side of the box 19mm? You can fill through there or from the black plastic nut on the top 17mm i think.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(24-12-2013, 09:38 PM)Tom Wrote: Isnt there a level plug on the side of the box 19mm? You can fill through there or from the black plastic nut on the top 17mm i think.

Yep, there a level plug on the side, but can't remember the size though.
Thanks given by:
Easiest to fill from top...use side level plug just for level...right pig to fill it from there
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yeah but I wouldn't worry about the level plug if you know you've drained it as it takes 2l and gear oil is sold in 1l bottles unless your a garage using 5l+ bottles.
Thanks given by:
I used to fill from a big drum at the garage with a little pump
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I get it every now and again with the stubborn filters. Mostly Renaults. If its realy seized iv had to chizle at the base of filter on a few occasions to get it to turn. At least you'v now got fresh gearbox oil too lol
Thanks given by:
Sorted this saga out this morning.

2 litres of fresh gearbox oil.... Done!

Fresh oil change (Shell 5w40 fully synthetic)... Done!

Question tho... How accurate is the oil level sensor under the speedo? It's reading max but the dipstick is halfway between min and max??

Gonna leave it til tomorrow now and check the levels again.

Thanks for everyone's help too Smile
Thanks given by:
Always go by the dipstick reading.
Thanks given by:
Dipstick for sure.
When warm, ensure engine has been switched off for at least a minute.
And car on the flat
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by: