Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
106 1.5D TURBO!! (again)
don't forget to get the speedo calib, want to know what numbers you reach
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
99 real mph!

So it's 1mph faster than the book speed when it was new in 1996.
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:
photobucket pictures arent working as per usual. Whats the 106 in your avatar? Looks really nice!
Thanks given by:
(28-02-2018, 06:57 PM)Eeyore Wrote: photobucket pictures arent working as per usual. Whats the 106 in your avatar? Looks really nice!

Yeah I can't stand Photobucket!  Rofl all annoying adverts too!

My Avatar is the new vehicle in question.

I have more pictures of it! I'm going to try tinypic...
[Image: 2i0yhc6.jpg]

This is how I bought the car for only 150 quid, saved it from the stock cars. only 68k on it

[Image: 2vm7aq9.jpg]
Thanks given by:
No dyno run yet, maybe tomorrow or Friday.

In the meantime I trial fitted a bumper. It came off a 106 which had 370hp so it's bound to make mine faster.

[Image: bi8psl.jpg]

And I sawed my inlet. The induction noise is incredible.

[Image: 302rurd.jpg]

Maybe I'll measure it, the ports are tiny (27mm I.D) but I suppose it is only a 1.5 litre.
Thanks given by:
Video 
Got my dyno run!

69hp

We had to abandon the run because it was still making hp at 5500rpm, and 5750 and 6000. I wasn't prepared to let it go to 6500.

Not yet anyway :3

Please see attached video of only revving to 5500rpm.

Thanks given by:
What do these make stock, 50? Not a bad gain for an N/A diesel!
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by: Martin306
58 stock.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Lucas pumped models (this one) are 54hp. Later Bosch pump ones are 58hp.

The Lucas pump actually gives me a better power curve.

[Image: ifd9js.jpg]

this was the Bosch pump

[Image: 2r6cdva.jpg]

I'm scared of the revs though, 23:1 compression and I don't know how heavy the pistons are etc.

Might have to sacrifice this engine at a later date and find out.
Thanks given by:
i do like something different, and this really is.

nice to see. keep it up
I love the colour. Is it sundance yellow?
(15-03-2018, 07:31 PM)Eeyore Wrote: I love the colour. Is it sundance yellow?

It's very very close. The car is wrapped in sunflower yellow. material cost was £8 a metre.

You see the picture I've posted below of the bumper trial fit, the bumper is genuine sundance yellow. Smile

underneath it's that shite pea/mint green hahahaha! and also lots of filler 
Thanks given by:
69bhp is mighty! Love it. Just grab a spare lump and let this one rev !!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
needs turbo, wont need to rev it as much Big Grin
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Thats cheap wrap material! Got a link?
Thanks given by:
(16-03-2018, 12:48 AM)Piggy Wrote: 69bhp is mighty! Love it. Just grab a spare lump and let this one rev !!!

I think the dyno is a wee bitty off, so I found a 3 mile stretch of road and held it flat out. It did 99mph, which I've worked out to be about 52hp at the wheels.

Spare lump? yeah I've already broken that one. I've also got 2 spare cylinder heads, but only one good camshaft oops. it's twisted.

(16-03-2018, 12:56 PM)welshpug Wrote: needs turbo, wont need to rev it as much Big Grin

This will happen again, I'll be doing it properly I think. buying bends and pipes and many many welds. Might fit the VE pump but I'm undecided, the max fuel accounts for about 80% so I'll just compensate for the remaining 20% that the boost compensator would supply anyway.

(16-03-2018, 05:36 PM)Eeyore Wrote: Thats cheap wrap material! Got a link?

Aye here Think it's the SUNRISE one.

Had my Volvo done in primrose [Image: 2gv0mz4.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use an eBay oil cooler?

I'm going to just fit one, and monitor my oil temps. I know they're hot on the TUD engines.

Probably looking at 7-10 row and about 30cm long. with pipes and sandwich ideally, any recommendations?
Thanks given by:
Decided to take the engine out, horrendous noise coming from the gearbox. Definitely input line so either clutch or the gearbox input shaft. Rather than piss about I removed the whole engine. Did the timing belt, treated some rust and fitted a lighter flywheel and a spare gearbox.

I was tempted to fit the VE pump, but couldn't be arsed cutting my slam panel and moving my radiator. So sticking with the trusty old Type 070 DPC pump Big Grin

Engine ready to come out:
[Image: 2h2gynp.jpg]

Engine coming out:
[Image: 359a89l.jpg]

Engine ready to go in:
[Image: cjaqr.jpg]

Didn't have the right colour of paint, but I had loads of blue. 

In desperate need of rigging up a tacho. Not sure of the best way to go about this, it already has a 3 pin flywheel sensor.

I did find an old picaxe so I guess I could use that to control the signal going to a generic tacho. If I can remember how to work it, it's ooooold

Unless anyone has any dirt cheap ebay links?

That is all!
Thanks given by:
Where is the boost at?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(27-05-2018, 10:06 PM)Piggy Wrote: Where is the boost at?

I had to emergency buy wheels and tyres    Blush

I don't  have to wait until I get paid on Thursday so I'll get an oil cooler in my ebay basket! I'll just go for an oil filter sandwich. I'll get a T piece and use the pressure switch as the feed for the turbo, eventually. All my spare turbos have a bit of play in them Sad  probably looking at a TD04 size turbo with a 15g or 16t wheel.  I could fit anything, I'm going to have to make up flanges and custom pipes anyway.

The GTi gearbox makes it feel like it's got 1-2 psi of boost  Rofl I'll need to take a video of it. The downside is that 5th gear is like the old 4th gear. great pickup on the motorway, the nose of the car actually lifts hahaha!

After Saturday I'm now confident the engine is good, it runs beautifully. This means it'll be able to take 30psi because my last one did. that's how it works right?  whistle
Thanks given by:
I can donate a GT15 from a 2.0HDi... be 100x more suitable than a TD04-15g/16??!!
Wishes for more power...
(28-05-2018, 05:16 PM)Piggy Wrote: I can donate a GT15 from a 2.0HDi... be 100x more suitable than a TD04-15g/16??!!

Ohh donations welcome! Will it come with a non welded wastegate and an actuator?   Rofl

I've already got flanges and pipes to fit one of those, that would save me so much time! Smile
Thanks given by:
I'll try and get it off this Friday... As I'm having the gearbox off it.
Happy to donate to boost.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(28-05-2018, 08:06 PM)Piggy Wrote: I'll try and get it off this Friday... As I'm having the gearbox off it.
Happy to donate to boost.

Excellent, well looks like I'll be forced into boost then  Rofl let me know when you get it off Smile 

Oil cooler now in the basket! Should be here in a couple of weeks. 19 row 11x5x2" 

Already got my stack water and oil temp gauges, I'll just need to get them wired in. 

Not sure what I'm going to do intercooler wise yet, I think a charge cooler would be a great space saver and they're really efficient. I suppose I should wait and get the turbo first and see how it's going to be mounted with all the pipework etc.
Thanks given by:
Charge coolers are more stable...not more efficient.

Plus 3 or 4 times the cost.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(29-05-2018, 09:17 PM)Piggy Wrote: Charge coolers are more stable...not more efficient.

Plus 3 or 4 times the cost.

Mhmm I understand what you're saying, but what I meant was one with it's own coolant circuit and a remote radiator.  Idea So it won't be pumping a stable 85 degrees around the charge cooler, it'll be more like 20-30 Smile or whatever the ambient temp of the coolant is. 

A normal intercooler is much cheaper, it's just routing large pipes will be difficult without having to move other things. At one side Ive got screen wash and the coolant bottle, and the other has the power steering pump and the fuse box. Unless I get a shorter radiator and route both pipes around that.

I'll just wait and see. Measurements will be made!
Thanks given by:
You won't need anymore than 2" pipe for fmic. ZXvolc has made 250bhp on 2" piping.

Charge coolers ALWAYS use their own dedicated radiator and fluids.

But air/air is still more efficient unless drag racing is your thing....then charge cooling is the way forward.

It allows for more stable inlet temps as I say, but not as efficient once moving as fmic air/air
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(30-05-2018, 06:55 PM)Piggy Wrote: You won't need anymore than 2" pipe for fmic. ZXvolc has made 250bhp on 2" piping.

Charge coolers ALWAYS use their own dedicated radiator and fluids.

But air/air is still more efficient unless drag racing is your thing....then charge cooling is the way forward.

It allows for more stable inlet temps as I say, but not as efficient once moving as fmic air/air

Okay 2" it is then, I'll probably do it in stainless so I can weld it and minimise the silicone pipes I'll need. Should manage to get that past the rad.
Thanks given by:
I've used both chargecoolers and intercoolers in the past. To be honest for peace of mind the intercooler wins. Its fit and forget, a chargecooler has pump, pipework, pre rad, swirl pot and actual charge cooler which can fail rendering the system useless. Like piggy says, for drag racing it's perfect because you can cool it with ice.

Great project BTW got a soft spot the the 106 Big Grin
Surprise surprise Yodel didn't deliver my bloody oil cooler yesterday despite it being at their depot since Wednesday (it's 1 street away from where it's to be delivered)

So, when I do eventually order an intercooler I'll be using someone else for delivery ahahah!

TU is a great engine, it doesn't suffer the same coolant/hot spot issues as the XU engines. However it does like to boil oil. I did plan on fitting GTI suspension and brakes to it today but, of course, the GTi struts are from a newer car and the driveshafts won't go into the hubs! So I'l still driving about on wobbly suspension, wobbly 155/80/13 tyres and wobbly everything else.
Thanks given by: