Blue fog lights

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue fog lights
(11-12-2013, 07:20 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Front fog lights are not tested as part of the MOT. Both of the cars I've had MOT'd had 1 fog light not working (obviously, as they were both 306s Tongue ). And when I did work experience at Honda and Ford main dealers, they didn't test front fogs as part of MOT.

They are however tested and advised during a service at the dealers.

I can't comment on roadside legalities though.

Also an MOT is only valid on the day of the test, and does not prove legality, simply that the car passes basic safety standards. MOT's are just a money making scheme for the gov't!

They will be tested if the Police send you to VOSA for having blue bulbs. :p is what I meant.
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:
A VOSA check is different to an MOT though....they check literally everything, put me off being a chav and racing my 1.4 round town when VOSA started checking all 'modded' cars and finding faults everywhere!
Thanks given by:
(11-12-2013, 07:41 PM)Toms306 Wrote: A VOSA check is different to an MOT though....they check literally everything, put me off being a chav and racing my 1.4 round town when VOSA started checking all 'modded' cars and finding faults everywhere!

Be grateful that not all MOT testers follow everything to the book then! Tongue

Think how many cars would be off the road if they did. No advisories, only fails.
Thanks given by:
It's not about doing things 'by the book'.

MOT's are easy to legally pass with bodges - taping over rust or fitting side skirts and engine undertrays for example. They aren't allowed to pull things apart and only get a small amount of time to check the main things over.

A VOSA roadside test is completely, they have as much time as they like and will go through literally everything.

But I do agree on the 'dodgy' MOTs, I'm really not a fan of them, there's a lot of cars on the roads that aren't safe because of that...trust me I've bought several with a years MOT with major faults! It's not so much for the person themself, but if they crash due to a defective part that should've been picked up by the MOT it can cause obviously injuries/death to others.... Which is a bigger issue than the colour of some lights that'll barely ever be used.... lol
Thanks given by:
an MOT is a joke. complete joke.

Its not a guarantee off legality or road worthiness.

gaffer tape, plastic trims and short wiper blades could technically make a car pass an MOT but in no way safe for the roads!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(11-12-2013, 08:05 PM)Piggy Wrote: an MOT is a joke. complete joke.

Its not a guarantee off legality or road worthiness.

gaffer tape, plastic trims and short wiper blades could technically make a car pass an MOT but in no way safe for the roads!

You mean, like the plastic inner arch on my 106 GTi hiding a huge hole in the inner wing leaving the engine mount seriously weakened? (fixed now of course Smile )
Thanks given by:
If you want them then ebay is your best bet.

You need to be aware that having blue bulbs fitted in your fogs is illegal weather you use them or not (its under C&U regs) and that if you do use them you could well end up drawing unwanted attention to the rest of your car and any other mods of dubious legality like a de-cat.

Also if you get a traffic cop who is having a bad day and decides to prosecute you for them he might decide to seize the lights as evidence and if you/him cant get them out then you could end up having your whole car seized as evidence. Also are you going to tell your insurance company about your illegal lights? If not you potentially could get done for no insurance and that currently stands at 6 points, £300 fine and having your car seized.

Its all a bit worst case scenario but not outside the realms of possibility.

Brighter fogs just give out more light that the fog will reflect back at you ruining your vision and as piggy says yellower "all weather" bulbs will actually help you see and be seen.

Your car though mate so don't let us tell you what to do.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Instrument lights, dash lights not working boggs 3 2,443 26-01-2016, 09:34 PM
Last Post: DeeTurbo
  Odometer lights and clock lights inop bashbarnard 3 2,141 23-07-2014, 08:43 PM
Last Post: DarkInferno
  N/S Brake lights/Side Lights not working Grant 10 3,185 18-11-2013, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Grant