Speed awareness course?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speed awareness course?
Got caught speeding 52.7 in a 40 by an unmarked volvo, decent enough guy really and i had no good excuse so held my hands up and said sorry, he said i would most probably get sent to an awareness course and it came through today.
Im going to book my course next week!

So im just wondering what to expect? Any of you guys/girls been on 1 and whats it like?
Thanks given by:
Get shown pictures of dead people and generally make you feel like a murderer.
[Image: Atterz.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I had one, got a ticket 5 days after I passed my test and got offered it. You just sit in a room for four hours and watch a slideshow.
100x better then the points
Thanks given by:
So just look at pics all day? Sounds interesting lol
Oh well beats the having 3 points
Thanks given by:
Stephens got it pretty much spot on! I never saw dead people Tongue
Basically they ask you questions, quiz you etc etc like being back in school, I found a few things out but nothing amazing lol
[Image: attachment.php?aid=9919]
Thanks given by:
Not a bad day really. It taught me some good stuff and opened my eyes a little bit. I was determined to wheel spin out of the car park but I thought better of it after the course.
93 106 xsi
98 306 1.9d 
98 306 1.9td lx 
01 306 2.0hdi 
97 306 1.9td estate 
96 306 dturbo 
96 306 dturbo 
Thanks given by:
they should take you out too, in 3s, in a instructors car with an instructor.
good training.
You broke the speed limit in a 40, a 40 put there to save lives.
Take it seriously.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Never heard of any one going out for a drive on the course
Thanks given by:
(07-12-2013, 10:02 PM)swampy Wrote: Never heard of any one going out for a drive on the course

Neither have i.
It's just basically trying to teach you about speed limits etc and by the end of the course they want you to be put on any single road in the uk and you to know the speed limit.
Did you know on motorways there's only 6% fatalities on the motorway compared to rural and urban which are pretty high!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=9919]
Thanks given by:
Also never heard of being taken out, it's a classroom excersize..
Thanks given by:
It used to be, 3-4hrs classroom and an hour on road.

Its a 2day course if you have an accident/speed related.
The second day is almost all on the road.

Its good all the way. Well worth it...and much better than points...theres some peeps going round with 40 odd points...clearly not learnt
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Depends on the police running the course. It's not a national thing and not all police forces offer the course. Some just insist on points.
Like I know surrey charge a £120 fine with the course but the met still only charge £60 I think.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I really don't see the point of the course....we already know speeding is illegal, we already know what 'can' happen when limits are broken...yet the majority of us will do it at some point for various reasons.

I know a few older people with decent cars who have had several speeding fines and courses and just don't care as they have money to burn anyway....
Thanks given by:
Mine was 85 quid and we all sat in a room. Had a Lil presentation and a lecture on soeed and how it varies the stopping distances massively
Was only about 4-5 hours long and nothing intensive
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(07-12-2013, 09:51 PM)Piggy Wrote: You broke the speed limit in a 40, a 40 put there to save lives.
Take it seriously.

Unsure if serious?
[Image: Atterz.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'm currently at one, due to start in 15 mins. Should be interesting at this time of the morning. I got caught in the companies van, own stupid fault really. First time speeding in 4 years.
Thanks given by:
(08-12-2013, 06:57 AM)Atterz Wrote:
(07-12-2013, 09:51 PM)Piggy Wrote: You broke the speed limit in a 40, a 40 put there to save lives.
Take it seriously.

Unsure if serious?

excuse the punn but Im deadly serious.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Moral to the story is.......... Don't get caught Wink

/Jokingbtwbeforepiggyjumpsonme lol

Thanks given by:
My old man got sent on one (haha)

He thought it was going to be patronising but said it was really thoughtful and helpful.
Thanks given by:
The course for me is £75 or i could take the £100 fine and 3 points option so its a no brainer really.

I thought it was just going to be like school and sit at a desk all day getting told off but in the letter it says i must take part and get involved so to me that sounds like activities of some sort?
Thanks given by:
I've been to two lol they have change the course I don't beleive they take you out in a car anymore the first one I did it was one day in the classroom one day out in a car in threes

The second time was all just classroom based and no out fr a drove malarkey
Thanks given by:
(07-12-2013, 10:37 PM)Niall Wrote: Depends on the police running the course. It's not a national thing and not all police forces offer the course. Some just insist on points.
Like I know surrey charge a £120 fine with the course but the met still only charge £60 I think.

Most charge more than the fine. The met dont offer the courses and its £100 and 3 points if your caught speeding now.
Thanks given by:
do it by all means, you do get to feel a bit like a murderer though lol . . . . 35 in a 30, they should have hanged me and had done with it . .lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
I got points instead of the course. Basically you can get offered the course but you cant ask for it. If you are so far over you dont get offered the course. I did 43 in a 30 and got 3 points and a fine instead of 6 and losing my licence.
Thanks given by:
(08-12-2013, 08:41 AM)Chris_90 Wrote: Moral to the story is.......... Don't get caught Wink

correction...

dont speed!..then theres no worry about getting caught!

The traffic cops I worked with with courses were very honest in saying they didnt care much about people speeding in national A roads etc but 30/40mph zones in built up areas is where the concern and deaths are...
and I have to agree
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by: