The end of ye olde Tax disc..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The end of ye olde Tax disc..
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25223631

Dunno what to think of it TBH, At least with a disc you get a small piece of paper for your 200-odd quid. And how would you be able to tell how much tax is left on a second hand car or if a cars been abandoned? Guessing a public access database will have to be created.

Come to think of it I've still not put my new disc in the van..only 5 days late lol
Team hand-painted-commercial Vehicle
Thanks given by:
Saw this earlier, my thought was that it seems to be the government fixing more shit that ain't broke. Rolleyes
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Suppose it's good if you can pay monthly or what ever it says but I'd rather have a bit of paper in my window tbh.

Thanks given by:
Theres already a public access database for checking tax! Wink It tells you the date of registeration, the date the tax is due and how much it costs....I use it all the time when looking for cars.

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax Go there then select vehicle enquiry from the left hand side...just put the reg and make in.

Tbh I cant see a problem with the new system, most of us probably tax online anyway....and the police already use ANPR for tax....so the only difference is the paper disc, which just creates untidiness and non-simitary on the windscreen. lol
Thanks given by:
(05-12-2013, 07:17 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Theres already a public access database for checking tax! Wink It tells you the date of registeration, the date the tax is due and how much it costs....I use it all the time when looking for cars.

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax Go there then select vehicle enquiry from the left hand side...just put the reg and make in.

Tbh I cant see a problem with the new system, most of us probably tax online anyway....and the police already use ANPR for tax....so the only difference is the paper disc, which just creates untidiness and non-simitary on the windscreen. lol

^this, can't see anything wrong with it TBH.

What will I put in my tax disc holder though?
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(05-12-2013, 07:24 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote:
(05-12-2013, 07:17 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Theres already a public access database for checking tax! Wink It tells you the date of registeration, the date the tax is due and how much it costs....I use it all the time when looking for cars.

^this, can't see anything wrong with it TBH.

What will I put in my tax disc holder though?

A dead Lois?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I wouldnt know I'm a tech tard lol

Big fan of online taxing though, been doing it for years..takes 5 mins and million times better than queing up at the post office with all your shite for hours!
Team hand-painted-commercial Vehicle
Thanks given by:
Full of crap. Why change something that everybody has been doing years. What about the old people that won't understand it
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
(05-12-2013, 07:28 PM)karl1989 Wrote: Full of crap. Why change something that everybody has been doing years. What about the old people that won't understand it

I take it you don't have a computer or smart phone then? Whats the point, everyone had got on fine without them for years and old people don't understand them.... Its called progress lol! Tongue
Thanks given by:
It will be good to get rid of the paper, save the trees, save the postage etc.

I really wish theyd just add it onto the fuel duty though so its not a once a year rip off.
Thanks given by:
Ye lol. Just don't like the idea of it all
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
(05-12-2013, 07:43 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: It will be good to get rid of the paper, save the trees, save the postage etc.

I really wish theyd just add it onto the fuel duty though so its not a once a year rip off.

But it won't be now either, as you can pay it monthly.
Thanks given by:
(05-12-2013, 07:43 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: It will be good to get rid of the paper, save the trees, save the postage etc.

That won't be too fair though will it on people who only do 1000 miles a year compared to 50000 a year. Don't forget despite what most people think its not road tax! It just goes in the general pot.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
It'd be nice if the direct debit cost less, like when you pay your bills by direct debit rather than trying to shaft us even more
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
It's a tax on emissions though (despite what it end up being used for) so theoretically the more you drive, the more emissions you create, so adding it to fuel is fairer than the current system. Why should some old lady with a 2.0 petrol that drives to church and Tesco once a week pay £250 a year for tax while someone doing 12k a year in an Aygo doesn't pay anything at all....
Thanks given by:
(05-12-2013, 07:52 PM)Toms306 Wrote: It's a tax on emissions though (despite what it end up being used for) so theoretically the more you drive, the more emissions you create, so adding it to fuel is fairer than the current system. Why should some old lady with a 2.0 petrol that drives to church and Tesco once a week pay £250 a year for tax while someone doing 12k a year in an Aygo doesn't pay anything at all....

I'm agreeing with you a lot on this one Tom, but I think they'd just totally ra*e us all for fuel, so the current system is at least manageable.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Actually just done the maths on what would need to be added to a liter (based on 58ppl fuel duty currently and an annual 17 billion litres of fuel sold and the DVLA making about £6 billion a year from the excise licences) then it would be about 35ppl extra (yep, a total £1.70/l)

That would definitely cost me alot more to drive than it does at the moment.
Thanks given by:
(05-12-2013, 07:56 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote:
(05-12-2013, 07:52 PM)Toms306 Wrote: It's a tax on emissions though (despite what it end up being used for) so theoretically the more you drive, the more emissions you create, so adding it to fuel is fairer than the current system. Why should some old lady with a 2.0 petrol that drives to church and Tesco once a week pay £250 a year for tax while someone doing 12k a year in an Aygo doesn't pay anything at all....

I'm agreeing with you a lot on this one Tom, but I think they'd just totally ra*e us all for fuel, so the current system is at least manageable.

Hmm, you wanna be careful agreeing with me! lol

They ra*e us for fuel anyway! But I do see your point and I'm not complaining about the current system anyway, as I'm currently looking at band B/C cars. lol
Thanks given by:

In the current system, anything below 99 co2 does not get taxed yet because it falls under Euro 5 emissions regs yet if we were taxed on top of fuel, it would be therefore there would be no incentive to go and buy that proper eco bus rather than the one you may want which is 103 co2 which the government really want you to avoid buying due to EU fines for emissions.

So basically the answer is, f*ck off being a part of the EU! Big Grin
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(05-12-2013, 07:46 PM)Niall Wrote:

That won't be too fair though will it on people who only do 1000 miles a year compared to 50000 a year. Don't forget despite what most people think its not road tax! It just goes in the general pot.

To echo what tom said, i think it is more than fair. The more you drive your car, the more you 'wear' the roads, and the more emissions you create

Plus, paying road tax monthly is a good thing IMO
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(05-12-2013, 08:03 PM)Grant Wrote:
(05-12-2013, 07:46 PM)Niall Wrote:

To echo what tom said, i think it is more than fair. The more you drive your car, the more you 'wear' the roads, and the more emissions you create

But its not a tax to pay for road usage. A lot of people think that road tax pays for the repair of the roads. It doesn't.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Correct. It goes into the central treasury fund.

But where does the money come from to fix the roads?

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(05-12-2013, 08:05 PM)Niall Wrote: But its not a tax to pay for road usage. A lot of people think that road tax pays for the repair of the roads. It doesn't.

It bloody should though, they're awful!
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(05-12-2013, 08:07 PM)Grant Wrote: Correct. It goes into the central treasury fund.

Local council funding which yes is influenced by that central pot but only a set amount and not by how often cars use the road.

(05-12-2013, 08:09 PM)Midnightclub Wrote:
(05-12-2013, 08:05 PM)Niall Wrote: But its not a tax to pay for road usage. A lot of people think that road tax pays for the repair of the roads. It doesn't.

It bloody should though, they're awful!

Yeah it should!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(05-12-2013, 08:11 PM)Niall Wrote:
(05-12-2013, 08:07 PM)Grant Wrote: Correct. It goes into the central treasury fund.

Local council funding which yes is influenced by that central pot but only a set amount and not by how often cars use the road.

Fair point.

UK motorists paid £5bn in road tact last year. The government (apparently (you wouldn't believe it driving around here!)) spend £9.5bn on upkeep of the roads. Arguably, it would give more money to the 'fund' to allow increased spending. But thats an un-educated guess.

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(05-12-2013, 08:18 PM)Grant Wrote:
(05-12-2013, 08:11 PM)Niall Wrote:

Fair point.

UK motorists paid £5bn in road tact last year. The government (apparently (you wouldn't believe it driving around here!)) spend £9.5bn on upkeep of the roads. Arguably, it would give more money to the 'fund' to allow increased spending. But thats an un-educated guess.

Well if you look at it that way, its swings and roundabouts. Yes you would probably put more money in the pot that way but then it would take more people off the roads.
Example, if i was self employed but had the car i have, thats free to tax yet if it was under this idea of extra tax on fuel, i would be f*cked considering as it currently is, my yearly fuel bill is about £4,000.
End of the day, there is guys in government who are being paid far too much who work this stuff out for a living who I'm sure know a substantial amount more than a few opinionated mongs on a forum lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
They seem to spend a lot making things worse rather than fixing potholed roads though. In Ipswich they've done away with several roundabouts, creating traffic lighted junctions instead, costing millions of pounds......but its just made traffic flow MUCH worse! Dodgy

And on the road where my Nan lives, the single lane one way link road there has been messed about with from Feb to about Sept this year, disrupting traffic flow (having to reverse the wrong way out while avoiding people coming in) and causing a lot of noise and uneven paths right outside old peoples flats... Anyway two months later and british gas have decided they want to rip it all up again to lay new pipes! Confused
Thanks given by:
Yeah if you say so lmao

[Image: 226691.jpg]

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Thats just racist man....
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(05-12-2013, 08:03 PM)Niall Wrote:

In the current system, anything below 99 co2 does not get taxed yet because it falls under Euro 5 emissions regs yet if we were taxed on top of fuel, it would be therefore there would be no incentive to go and buy that proper eco bus rather than the one you may want which is 103 co2 which the government really want you to avoid buying due to EU fines for emissions.

So basically the answer is, f*ck off being a part of the EU! Big Grin

See i see it as the opposite, people wouldn't buy cars because they do well in some lab test that can never be recreated in the real world they would buy stuff that is actually real world economical (how many cars are actually under the 99g/km and how many are spot on the limit because that is where they placed the limit)

Also as it works on real world economy and not made up manufacturer economy it would be better for the environment as less fuel burnt is less hydrocarbons and less co2 in the atmosphere.
Thanks given by: