Forged Rods

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forged Rods
(17-12-2013, 01:33 PM)Dave Wrote: Just to add my 2p, wouldn't it be better to buy one single set as a club, or consortium of a group of people so no one is spending silly money to find out they are cheese. Then if they are good, then could go from there.

Just saying that if 10 people suddenly buy them and they are duds, thats alot of wasted money if you're dealing with some doods in china with a hammer and anvil.

If it were me, i'de get 8 people of whatever, and put 50 quid into a pot, and see how they fit in a block, then whoever block it is just buys everyone else out, you get the idea, but this is the sort of stuff that would have to be sorted on quite a personal level.

I'm having second thoughts about this "unknown" company, for the sake of a hundred quid I'm thinking maybe let's support the UK engineering businesses and sort a group buy with somewhere.

Padge, I seem to remember you saying something about sorting a set for £450 all in?
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Would XUD11 rods not fit?? And use the xud11 crank?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(17-12-2013, 06:16 PM)Piggy Wrote: Would XUD11 rods not fit?? And use the xud11 crank?

That'd still leave us with the problem of sourcing and purchasing some, so may as well use the correct ones even it the xud11 ones would fit

Thanks given by:
xud11 rods don't fit.

I can source rods for 375 and that's at a price for 3 buys, but my searching and talking to this company wasent appreciated so, ill keep it to myself.
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't touch £375 rods with a shitty stick.
Thanks given by:
(17-12-2013, 06:42 PM)padge Wrote: xud11 rods don't fit.

I can source rods for 375 and that's at a price for 3 buys, but my searching and talking to this company wasent appreciated so, ill keep it to myself.

Nice to know you're supporting the cause. Where was it not appreciated? I've clearly missed that.

Although if you're starting with that attitude, don't bother.

Thanks given by:
like I said, the rods were meant to be 450 as a standard price, 375 if a few people put an order in at once.
Thanks given by:
Any more details?

Thanks given by:
no sorry.
Thanks given by:
Awesome, I'll take a set.

Actually, make it 2 Dodgy

Edit: Oh, wait. I won't. sorry.

Thanks given by:
Christ this thread is getting messy :/

I'm continuing on with a custom order from this company in China, I'll let you all know who it progresses. There will be a minimum order of sets, which mean if I do go ahead I'll have some spare at the end of it.
Thanks given by:
What is the spec for a XUD conrod anyway?
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:
It is a bit weird when you would like us to pay £375 when you don't want to give any details? Confused

Would be interested in these ones from china though as long as they are up to spec. How would we know what they could handle though?

Would it not be worth trying to sort something out in the UK as it is closer to home and more likely to sort out any problems? Undecided

So JP I'm guessing you paid a fair bit more than a normal price of rods as they were custom made with different ends?
Thanks given by:
Yeah, £1000.

BTW, xud11 crank and rods do fit, but the piston won't fit (the wrist pin is different). Your choice, buy a set of custom pistons to fit an xud11 crank (and potentially bigger capacity, I was going 2.2l) or alternatively get a rod made to fit the stock piston and do 2.0l.

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Massive issues doing that unless you seriously hack up the piston skirt to clear the oil squirters and shave 2mm off the crown... They're less than millimetre clearance from the factory to the squirters and they protrude the deck at tdc. They add an extra 2mm to the bottom of the throw and to the top, that'll end up with it mashing the head and squirters off.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
The pistons I had made had a much shorter skirt, ooh eeeeer, so it wasn't an issue. Maybe it's a non starter then as a set of rods and pistons are circa £1400
JP
Thanks given by:
Xud11 crank and rods are tank like made...

So surely sourcing them second hand and getting pistons made or machined would be cheaper AND stronger than just forged rods??

Alternatively...use a 2.1 block and bottom end...inc the baffled sump...with a 8v head. Win
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
So not to have any problems I guess the best bet is standard crank and pistons with a forged I beam rod made?

I was hoping to run say 200 safely as a daily....

So I guess I should get speaking to Farndon Engineering...?
Thanks given by:
(17-12-2013, 09:59 PM)Lwilliams Wrote: So not to have any problems I guess the best bet is standard crank and pistons with a forged I beam rod made?

TBH the setup you'll run, HDi rods will suffice IMHO.

But if you have the money and opportunity, then what you said seems the best option Big Grin

Thanks given by:
(17-12-2013, 10:00 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote:
(17-12-2013, 09:59 PM)Lwilliams Wrote: So not to have any problems I guess the best bet is standard crank and pistons with a forged I beam rod made?

TBH the setup you'll run, HDi rods will suffice IMHO.

But if you have the money and opportunity, then what you said seems the best option Big Grin

Big Grin thanks eventually swap out the turbo for something bigger then I will still have reliability with a bit more poooower Big Grin lol
Thanks given by:
I've seen rods pop at 90hp... I've seen HDi rods blow well before 200hp.

Just because the XUD11 has meatier rods, wouldn't trust them any more than XUD9 rods... They'll have the same cheesy metal in them, it's a forging fault rather than a size problem, adding meat to them won't help - only increases rotating mass, therefore how much it's got to swing off the end of it - the XUD11 crank is accelerating and decelerating the components faster and harder, making for a less rev happy engine and at 21:1 or so compression ratio, that's the last thing you want.

Look at more modern Diesels coming along, Subaru Boxer diesel - square engine at 86x86...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
I've tracked down a set of CTED4 rods. As previously mentioned these are 2.0 HDI engines that output 250lbs/ft from the factory. I'm trying to negotiate a price now, but what are folks thoughts on what these should be worth? I'm stuck between these and a set of custom rods Undecided
'95 Peugeot 405 GLX with XU10J4RS and ITB's
'97 Peugeot 406 1.9TD with TD04
'05 RenaultSport 182 Cup
Thanks given by:
i am getting some hdi rods shot peened hopefully make them last a bit longer but if some 1 does a group buy i am in Big Grin
Thanks given by:
If anyone wants a lightened HDi crank, and a set of shot peened HDi rods - let me know.
JP
Thanks given by:
(18-12-2013, 05:50 PM)jammapic Wrote: If anyone wants a lightened HDi crank, and a set of shot peened HDi rods - let me know.

Whats the difference between the Hdi crank and Xud mate?
Thanks given by:
Think it's the same.
JP
Thanks given by:
(18-12-2013, 05:43 PM)Teddy Wrote: i am getting some hdi rods shot peened hopefully make them last a bit longer but if some 1 does a group buy i am in Big Grin

Holy shit I've got round glass bead blast in a big tub!

hmmm Idea
Thanks given by:
(18-12-2013, 06:56 PM)Martin306 Wrote:
(18-12-2013, 05:43 PM)Teddy Wrote: i am getting some hdi rods shot peened hopefully make them last a bit longer but if some 1 does a group buy i am in Big Grin

hmmm Idea

its a bit different that lad have to use different grade shot on different parts only costing £41 for a set done 15%-20% stronger than standerd
Thanks given by:
(18-12-2013, 07:11 PM)Teddy Wrote:
(18-12-2013, 06:56 PM)Martin306 Wrote:

hmmm Idea

its a bit different that lad have to use different grade shot on different parts only costing £41 for a set done 15%-20% stronger than standerd

I ken!
Thanks given by:
HDi 90 crank is plain steel ala XUD7, HDi 110 is burnished steel ala XUD9... There is a difference... How much I don't really know, I've never seen anyone throw either...
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FORGED XUD - new oil pump? dr_jekyll 2 1,260 30-01-2022, 04:17 PM
Last Post: welshpug
  Forged Xud vs M-HDI pugtk 15 5,343 28-07-2017, 12:02 PM
Last Post: darrenjlobb
  forged rods xud vinny 19 5,578 26-03-2015, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Dave