Anyone running a TD04-13T-4?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone running a TD04-13T-4?
Before someone says "what a silly question there are loads of TD04 XUD's on here" just take note of the last number there:

TD04-13T-4

(13T is compressor wheel, 4 relates to turbine housing I think)

The common Subaru TD04 is a TD04-13T-6. The "6" housing is the reason why TD04's are commonly said to be good for top end power. However the "4" is a smaller turbine housing (found on 2.5 diesel engines) so should spool a bit quicker and be more suited to diesels.

Has anyone tried one? Or is everyone here just using the Subaru TD04's?
Thanks given by:
Dont know if people have looked that far into it when buying one tbh! Sounds like it would be great in theory. Crack on and let us know!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Hmmm, I had a small turbine td04 off a similar sized diesel but never ran it - should be comparable to a gt20 series though ...
Thanks given by:
I would have thought a small hot side td04 would be pretty win, spool quickly, gate open quickly, comp thrashes through the top end, winrar
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(26-11-2013, 10:27 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: Hmmm, I had a small turbine td04 off a similar sized diesel but never ran it - should be comparable to a gt20 series though ...

This is what I'm trying to decide at the moment, GT2052 or this TD04, GT20 will supposedly be more efficient as it's a more modern design, but it's reflected in the price, double that of a TD04, and harder to find. We know TD04's are a robust tried and tested turbo that can take some abuse!
Thanks given by:
How much are we talking ?
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
From what I've seen, these TD04's go for around £80-120 and a GT2052S goes for £200+ although you see the occasional one at £150+ but the majority are well above £200.

I know it's not a huge amount of money but it's something I'm bearing in mind because if there was ever a problem I know I could easily replace a TD04 for cheap and they're easier to find.

TD04 is a bit easier to fit as well. I'm sure it would give me the results I want anyway. Upwards of 175bhp and not too laggy.
Thanks given by:
Its like the difference between the K14 and a T2 on the 306, not much in it as for same spec car.

Just far less info in terms of compressor maps ..etc for the Mitsubishi turbos

Assuming its off something relatively modern, 2000/2002+ It should be fairly good.
Thanks given by:
(27-11-2013, 03:24 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: Its like the difference between the K14 and a T2 on the 306, not much in it as for same spec car.

Just far less info in terms of compressor maps ..etc for the Mitsubishi turbos

Assuming its off something relatively modern, 2000/2002+ It should be fairly good.

1995-2003 BMW 2.5

I have seen a compressor map for the 13T and on some rough calculations it should be good for about 22psi on that compressor wheel. Easily upgradeable to a 15T wheel if needed. 13T is about 52mm, 15T is 56mm from what I've found.

It's common for those engines to be tuned to about 175-180bhp on the BMW's with that turbo, they don't bother going much higher as those engines suffer reliability issues when going for high power.

It's the same compressor as on the WRX TD04's that everyone uses on here but should spool quicker with that smaller hot side.

Worth a go, or forget it and pay the extra for a GT2052S?
Thanks given by:
any idea what the pre 95 2.5 TD/S's ran?
Thanks given by:
(27-11-2013, 03:57 PM)welshpug Wrote: any idea what the pre 95 2.5 TD/S's ran?

TD04-11G-4 I think. Same turbo with a smaller compressor.
Thanks given by:
The main issue with the gt20 series is cost and availability, don't seem to have been installed for many years before everyone went vnt.

I'd give the TDS TD04 a spin and see how it goes, should be plenty of quick spooling torquey fun Big Grin Best thing is that they're going to be cheap and plentiful too.
Thanks given by:
I'd go TD04 as well, you already have it so crack on.

Providing you don't want uber instant torque that is..
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Bang the td04 on if you already have it. Easy to replace when you get bored and up the boost as well lol
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
I don't have it yet but I've been offered one at a good price with a spare manifold and some material for adaptor plates etc... all I'd need is a downpipe. Standard oil lines will fit. Should be fairly easy other than the downpipe.
Thanks given by:
(27-11-2013, 04:25 PM)ste91 Wrote: I don't have it yet but I've been offered one at a good price with a spare manifold and some material for adaptor plates etc... all I'd need is a downpipe. Standard oil lines will fit. Should be fairly easy other than the downpipe.

Make an adapter and bolt it up to your current downpipe.

Or buy a couple of bends and get one welded up.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Was just going to get a new one made anyway along with a full system. Smile

The guy selling the turbo wants £100... hmm do I or don't I lol
Thanks given by:
(27-11-2013, 04:32 PM)ste91 Wrote: Was just going to get a new one made anyway along with a full system. Smile

The guy selling the turbo wants £100... hmm do I or don't I lol

Offer £60. Angel
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
aha, so I know where to get a mild upgrade for my TDS then Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(27-11-2013, 06:00 PM)welshpug Wrote: aha, so I know where to get a mild upgrade for my TDS then Big Grin

Is yours the E34 5 series? (Not sure what 3 series of that year is, E36?)

I'm not too clued up on BMW's to be honest so you'll have to look into it but if yours is the 11G version then the 13T should be an easy upgrade. As far as I am aware, that engine is good for 170-180bhp with the TD04-13T and a chip. They don't like to go much over 200bhp as they aren't too reliable.
Thanks given by:
I think you have been misled, I heard of a 400 bhp E36 325 TDS earlier, not found it on the interwebz yet though, main problem I think most find is that it involved proper tuning not just bolt on chips.

indeed a £75 chip should get me to 170 ish, remove the cat and nearer 180, on the stock turbo intercooler and single silencer stock exhaust Big Grin

mine is a pre facelift E34 525 TDS, registered January 94, so same engine as the E36.
Thanks given by:
(27-11-2013, 06:11 PM)welshpug Wrote: I think you have been misled, I heard of a 400 bhp E36 325 TDS earlier, not found it on the interwebz yet though, main problem I think most find is that it involved proper tuning not just bolt on chips.

indeed a £75 chip should get me to 170 ish, remove the cat and nearer 180, on the stock turbo intercooler and single silencer stock exhaust Big Grin

mine is a pre facelift E34 525 TDS, registered January 94, so same engine as the E36.

It may just be an internet rumour then but a lot of the searches I've done come up with something about head related problems with heat/cooling or something like that.

I just hope my little 2.0 DI can make 170+ with the same turbo! Although you can't compare the sound of a straight 6 lol.
Thanks given by:
(27-11-2013, 06:11 PM)welshpug Wrote: I think you have been misled, I heard of a 400 bhp E36 325 TDS earlier, not found it on the interwebz yet though, main problem I think most find is that it involved proper tuning not just bolt on chips.

Not exactly a td04 series but feckin class anyway Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBvk7FouFF4
Thanks given by:
^^

some bark from the back!
Thanks given by:
Straight 6 diesels with big blowers make such an angry noise!
Thanks given by:
looks like a fully mechanical pump there, I don't think my car has a cable!
Thanks given by:
Ain't you putting this on a ZS TD thought not an XUD?
MG ZR TD+ - gone and easily forgotten
Fabia vRS PD130 - New daily
Astra H VXR - new toy!
Thanks given by:
(28-11-2013, 10:51 PM)Dicky Wrote: Ain't you putting this on a ZS TD thought not an XUD?

Correct, just wondered if anyone had tried it on an XUD instead of the usual TD04 off the Subaru, as a lot of people consider them "laggy" and only good for top end whereas this one should spool faster.
Thanks given by:
I'm not putting it on anything, its bolted to my engine as standard lol
Thanks given by: