HDI hunting problem.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HDI hunting problem.
Bit of a weird one here.

Just aqquired a HDI with bit of an engine problem.

Starts up fine hot / cold, just as you would expect, but the engine "hunts" or "surges" on idle for first few minutes, does smooth out after a while, but even when fully warmed up, drives like shite, surges on acecleration , like constant on / off power...literally feels like a car with a big 12mm P pump on it or something, only its a stock HDI...

Typically laptop with PP2000 has died, hence this thread...any ideas on whats kicking off?
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
I'd probably start by unplugging the MAF tbh, easiest thing to rule out at least..
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Have already tried that..no effect other than throwing EML
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Possibly tps related, test it with a known good one.
Thanks given by:
Just swapped the TPS fore one i had in the workshop, no reason to believe anything wrong as came from running vehicle 6 months ago, But no change, same symptons Sad
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
you havnt got old oil in it thats got a bit thick taking longer to get round the engine have you? friend with a fiesta had a simular issue, sounded horrid at first. an oil change sorted it, but the stuff that come out was very thick so wasnt getting round the engine as well as it should untill it was warm and thinned out
Thanks given by:
http://youtu.be/c6GN9xQfGDg
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Chronic video fail.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Really? works for me :S
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Well that is f*cking odd... no ideas above and beyond the stuff already stated tbh. Reset everything by unplugging the battery overnight? Might be worth a try.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Sounds rough as f*ck. Confused Sudden development or has it been getting worse for a while? Maybe knackered injectors or dodgy frps..?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
No idea, bought it cheap as chips (hence the issue) but sure it cant be anything to major....

Have left it dissconnected for 5 mins, is that long enough?

Yeah rough as hell, the idle turns fairly normal as it warms up, but still surges like a bitch when you drive it...

Never seen it myself before, hopefully get PP2000 working later this afternoon and see if there are any codes...wondering if injectors are related...looks like they have "been out" at some point fairly recentl...so someone has been digging, so no idea if there orignals back in or what.. typically my 406 is out on "hire" atm so cant swap, and my scrap hdi hasnt turned up yet
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Ah fair enough.

Theres an ecu reset guide I put up thats buried somewhere in the guide section, try that.

Doesn't look theres any smoke, so guess its not burning anything it shouldn't be...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Fuel filter been changed recently?
Thanks given by:
no idea...no history what so ever...has anyone ever seen these symptons from it blocked? Surely it would just drop RP when running under load / cut out of it was that blocked?
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Can't see it being fuel filter, eml would be straight on, and it'd keep cutting out if rp dropped. Ecu reset is a couple of hours iirc.

Tried a leak off test?

Thanks given by:
Can't say I have tbh and fairly unlikely.. but I guess it wouldn't hurt to whip the top off and see what it's like.. they only need changing every 30k so possible it's not been changed.

I'd check/clean the FRPS too just in case.. fairly weird problem though tbh
Thanks given by:
Not tried a leak off test no...so thinkign i need to clean FPRS first, then maybe do a leak off test and go from there, still having PP2000 issues atm. I always have endless issues with computers dying in my workshop in the cold heh, and PP2000 is so dodgy at the best of times! bledy computers!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Is it the pressure sensor on the rail that needs cleaning or the regulator itsself on the HP pump?
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
I was thinking frps (rail), but could be the fpr (pump). I would expect cutting out issues if it was either of those tbh, but for what it takes to check you may as well.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Could you not M-HDi it overnight with your wizardry?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Is it me or doesn't that sound like it's not firing on all, rather than hunting?
Thanks given by:
Doesn't sound like 4 cylinders as it's pulsing.

That sounds like my mates HDi90 406 did when an injector was malfunctioning. Can't recall if the injector itself was changed or the loom was responsible.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Dont want to M-TDI it, its for my sister, just need it to be oem / reliable heh.

Its not missing entirely on one cylinder, its clearly the ECU changing the fuel delivery all the time, its not a missfire on one pot....not to say the injectors arnt the issue as i know they can cause issues with hdis....

Guess i need a set of poppers, should have another donor here any day so will pull from that I guess.
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Darren I have a set of injectors that I know were working when removed, but one had chronic blowby and had a lump of coal plastered round it as a result. I only want a tenner plus post if you want them.

Thanks given by:
Could well be the injectors, saw similar problems on one of our neighbours cars (Focus 1.8 TDCi) after he ran Morrisons fuel through it which partially blocked the injectors, has more bio in than most iirc.

Does seem odd though, don't think I've seen a HDi that bad, mine used to hunt at idle all the time, hot or cold, but was fine with some throttle.
Thanks given by:
Have a go at unplugging the injectors one at a time and see if it gets worse. If it gets worse on 3 of them and stays the same on 1 then you have your issue, check the voltage then swap the injector.
Thanks given by:
I dont think its a good plan to do that, pretty sure you can frythe ECU doing that Chris^^

Uses the injectosr as ballasts i think or something
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Just pulled the FPRS out but cant really see theres anything you can "clean"
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
HAving issues with PP2000, Starting to think it might be my interface causing the issues..

Keep getting the error "Unable to initiate vehicle communications interface"

Tried on 3 laptops now with same issue... If i dissconnect lead i get the cannot find interface message..so its semi working, but im guessing dead? fml...
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hunting at idle? JTaylor2005 10 1,724 20-05-2015, 05:32 AM
Last Post: Poodle