Cold starting.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cold starting.
If below say 5 degrees overnight / morning the car didn't like starting. Once its been run or even if the weather is nice its ok. But as soon as the cold comes it takes ages to start.

Its had plugs, plug relay, battery, full service inc fuel filter, batter and now injectors but still having issues.
The car has full stainless system and decat and now has k+n pannel filter mods wise.

Any ideas? Scans show no codes at all
Thanks given by:
Try priming it a couple of times before you start it (turn the ignition on a couple of times for 5 seconds at a time)
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Have tried that Sad
Thanks given by:
How many miles? Is it very noisy?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Not noisy really no. And just shy of 220k
Thanks given by:
Do you mean it struggles starting or glow plugs take ages to heat up?
[Image: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-00000000014E_zpsprynorkl.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Trouble starting. Suppose it could be glow plugs not heating up but wait for lights and also replaced plugs and plug relay
Thanks given by:
Shouldn't be the glow plugs, mine are long dead and it starts without an issue.

At that mileage I think its more likely to be worn injectors or perhaps leaking a bit of compression. See if you can get a compression test done and do a leak off test on the injectors - guide should be in the link in my sig iirc.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
leak of test i did last week and only shown injector 2 to be bad. changed them this saturday but only with 2nd hand ones so i will get another test done this week on it.
Thanks given by:
Ah fair enough, hopefully they're ok then. Ideally you want to get it on diagnostics for some live data, but I appreciate that's not easily done for most.

Any other issues with cutting out or running on? Wondering if perhaps the fpr or hp pump could be causing it...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
running is fine, dosnt cut out. only issue i have with the car is that it takes alot of tries in a morning to start the bugga. once driven i can leave it sat out side for 6/7 hours easy and it starts first flick. its just them cold winter mornings. this morning i must have tried it at least 12 times before it fired.

have also tried it with it connected to another car thinking it may just not be getting what it needs.

i will try get it on a comp at some point this week again
Thanks given by:
Does it bump start easily?

Thanks given by:
exactly the same as with out the jump
Thanks given by:
tomorrow morning im going to pop a live feed for a few seconds to the glow plugs, just to by pass the relay to rule that out. its been changed but i may as well try it.

before i even put the key in the ignation i plan to try it. will i need to disconnet the power feed to the glow plugs before hand or will i be ok just putting the live feed on? just wondering if i should get tools out and stuff ready for morning
Thanks given by:
As said earlier the HDI engine doesn't need glow plugs to start in positive temperatures. I would say it's fuel pressure issue.

Is there a fuel leak anywhere, are all the injector pipes done up properly. I had a slightly weeping pipe when I changed my injectors and the caused a similar issue as yours. I reseated the pipes and it starts first time every time since. The pressure sensor needs to see 300bar for the car to start and a small leak can stop you hitting the 300bar mark.
Thanks given by:
i will check for leaks tomorrow. i dont believe their are any but its worth checking Smile thank you
Thanks given by:
it dosnt appear to be leaking any fuel in the engine side. i twist wrapped some tissue to each part of the fuel feed to the injectors. now im at work i took them off and they are all still dry. used tissue as i though if their was even the slightest bit of damp they would tell me
Thanks given by:
Did you use new copper seals when replacing the injectors?
Thanks given by:
i did yes.
Thanks given by:
I wonder if you would get a code if you didn't get 300bar when cranking?
Thanks given by:
You should get p0230 if thats the case, as it won't be meeting requested pressure.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(25-11-2013, 11:22 AM)hucky Wrote: exactly the same as with out the jump

Just to clarify, have you tried bump starting it though?

Another consideration is check cam and crank sensors, swap with known good ones if you have a friend with a working hdi?

Thanks given by:
bump starting it no, only jump start. i dont have anyone about in mornings that i could get to help with a bump start.

ive not got anyone whos car i could borrow the parts of but they are not expensive parts anyway. so could get new ones.
Thanks given by: