alternator issue - solved

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
alternator issue - solved
Alternator doesn't seem to be putting out a charge.

Took it to the alternator recon place I had it from, they stuck it on their bench tester and it comes up fine.

Back on the car, voltage is about 12.4 with engine running, tested across the battery terminals and also from the alternator.

Battery light on dash comes on with key and goes out as normal when engine starts.

Thoughts?

I can only think its not exciting itself (ooo eerrrr) so is that something to do with the little lead? Thought that was for the dash light, and that seems to be working fine.

*update - turned out the glowplugs were staying on for a fair amount of time, even if car is up to temp.
Thanks given by:
Gearbox earth nice and clean?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
I've got a separate earth going form alternator bracket to the car body - aswell as the gearbox earth to body.

But good shout, my battery is in the boot, so could well be a crappy earth from the battery to the car body. Will have a look tomorrow in the light.

But... Car starts fine, so would suggest that earth is fine.
Thanks given by:
What do the alternator people call comes up fine? Its puts out 14.7v on there bench?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Yeah puts out 14+ volts

But at high rpm, which is when you'd expect it to self excite
Thanks given by:
If you rev it u and down does it work? If so its only working on self excitement.

put 12v to the small pin and it should excite...that small pin is just power via a battery light, so light stays on until alternator excites / pin becomes live then light goes out.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Not sure about revving it on my car as didn't have enough hands to hold meter, probes, torch and blip the throttle.

But was on the machine in their shop, putting out 14v+

With the car running there is 12v at the small terminal, whether that is coming from the wire or from the alternator I haven't tested yet.
Thanks given by:
It will be coming from the wire, unless that wire is broken, but if the battery light is on, then it must be working id say unless its gone short other side the light
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
I'd assume if the battery light come on then goes off - its supplying the 12v, then the alternator is kicking the 12v back out for it to go off.

Which would suggest that its working, but it it isn't kicking out 14v :/
Thanks given by:
Not something ghey like a slack belt is it?

Orrrrrr this guy replaced a fuse and it worked again, from what i can tell. http://forums.nicoclub.com/charging-prob...56431.html
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Ok so small wire is working as expected, 12v with ignition on - light coems on, if i ground it light goes off

Alternator puts out a nice 14v above 2k rpm

But nothing on tickover
Thanks given by:
Still sounds like a flaky alternator. Pretty sure on mine the alternator didn't kick in until you blipped the throttle a bit but would then carry on charging after revs dipped.
Thanks given by:
I'm almost certain its alternator now, hoping to get another on tomorrow
Thanks given by:
That was my next idea, dodgy alternator.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
turned out the glowplugs were staying on for a fair amount of time, even if car is up to temp.
Thanks given by:
(23-11-2013, 11:17 AM)zx_volcane Wrote: turned out the glowplugs were staying on for a fair amount of time, even if car is up to temp.

Extra powersz!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Hahaha thats maaaaaaaad! Never would of guessed that
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Lol. How much longer? IIRC they stay on for about 15secs after the light on the dash goes out.
Thanks given by:
About 4 mins

Relay has all sorts of inputs to decide how long to keep them on
Thanks given by:
Even so, sounds way too long to me.
Thanks given by: