Fmic? Man what a ballache!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fmic? Man what a ballache!
Mid way through my fmic install and u cant get over the faff involved! I strolled into it with a friend expecting for it to take 2hrs max. 5 hours later and only half way through i called it a night. Cold, wet, annoyed, hungry, pissed off. Main problem we had was the pipe underneath. Removing the old one was a ballache, and even with the new one fitted it still doesnt fit right? Hits the subframe, what doe everyone do with the random PAS pipe that hangs underneath?
Thanks given by:
Cable tie the pas pipe to the bottom pipe.

What bottom pipe are you using
Thanks given by:
If it hits the subframe then its not on properly or the joiner is too long.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I have got all the bits to fit a fmic to mine, but have been putting it off for this reason and i can't be without the car so it needs to be done in one day, problem is everyone seems to do it a different way using the bits they can get hold of.
Thanks given by:
406 bottom pipes. Im trying to do it properly ie brackets for pipes, propa routing. going to do the rest at work on a ramp... In the warmth, iv plumbed it all up to the rad just got a few joins then mounting the IC. Il post up some pics when if i figure out how!

Thanks given by:
You dont have to do it all at once, you could fit up the fmic and 80% of the piping without affecting the running of the car, just leave the inlet elbow and turbo pipe until you've got a whole day to dedicate to it.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yeah i have mate, im driving around with all the pipework in place just joined together by my rad
Thanks given by:
IMO the best way to do it is fit the FMIC and fans one weekend and then the piping the next.

It is possible to do it in a day but only if you've got experience FMIC'ing 306s or your just a really good mechanic.

I'm on about my 5th 306 FMIC build and I've helped people with countless others.
Thanks given by:
Yh, didnt help me attempting it in a shoebox garage, with a jack that the italians obv built and oh did i mention it was frreeeezzing lol. It was like an episode off the Siberian gypsy chop shop. I think the weekend i shall mount my cooler and pop the bumper back on and go from there... At work, on a ramp with access to a kettle and in the reasonable warmth. I need to source two good reducers though so thats my job for the mean time
Thanks given by:
Hhaha isn't that the preferred method?? Sounds like you've got it under control tbh, shouldn't worry. Smile
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(22-11-2013, 01:17 PM)JJtheHITMAN Wrote: It was like an episode off the Siberian gypsy chop shop.
You obviously came to work on it at mine then Rofl
Thanks given by:
On a serious level can i keep my fans? Im adament to keep em because im stubbern and stupid, from what i see its possible to chop the inside of the bumper away and mount a nats nackker away from the fans, my IC of choice is thin and long, you had to do this before or am i heading for a whole world of shit lol.
Thanks given by:
Your bumper wont have enough strength left in it to keep its shape if you cut away enough to keep the fans and fit a FMIC.
Thanks given by:
If you wasn't so far away I'd come help miss messaging about with my car but don't really won't to spend any more money on it Sad
Thanks given by:
(22-11-2013, 05:25 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Your bumper wont have enough strength left in it to keep its shape if you cut away enough to keep the fans and fit a FMIC.

What if i just chop away the lower grill? My intercooler is very narrow and long
Thanks given by:
Loses the fans and fit a slimline fan you'll have a lot more room
Thanks given by:
You won't need fans this time of year. I think I ran my HDi without fans - period.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
This did cross my mind. I mean mine never goes ove 75 anyway. Just a nice safty net i suppose.
Thanks given by:
No fans
FTW lol
Ive done over 15000 miles and nothing has gone bang yet
Thanks given by:
It is possible to keep the fans, need to move the rad back and trim the cowling so the fans sit closer to the rad
Thanks given by:
Just ditch them, if it comes to it open the windows and stick the heaters on full blast. Soon brings the water temp back down.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ran without fans had no problems, You can get the pipes and that done quite quickly if you know what to do/have the right tools. Poodles was done fairly quickly despite us struggling with the bottom pipe, my one took a couple of nights work because I had all the mechanical knowledge of a wet fart leaving Poodle to do most of it lol
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Ive only ha fans come on in HDis about 3 times in almost a decade so yeah just get rid. They weigh far too much anyway.
Thanks given by:
I know your pain mine was a 8 hour job and no fun but when you come to do jobs like this whatever time you think it is going to take double it haha

no fans are alright mine doesnt get to hot
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fmic on my hdi what a ballache daniel909 47 6,754 24-01-2014, 02:44 AM
Last Post: Jtrigga