Cam seal leaking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cam seal leaking
Hi all,
I think I have an oil leak from the cam seal, cambelt looks to have been over tightened. Any advice on changing this seal, and how to not mess up the timing would be greatly appreciated. Regards Tom
Thanks given by:
Cambelt off, small flat head to pop old seal out (be really careful of the mating surfaces on the engine) then use the old seal as a guide to knock the new one in. New belt and tensioners back on. Clean up all oil thoroughly as A) it will deteriorate the belt over time and B) you want to monitor the leak after to make sure you have cured it.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Need to lock the engine off them remove the belt and sprocket, then screw a self tapper into the seal and pull it out
Thanks given by:
You'll have to remove the cam shaft pulley to replace that seal

Lock everything off in their locking points - flyhweel, camshaft pulley, fuel pump

Then remove cambelt from top pulleys

Then go about replacing the seal - you'll have to remove the cam pulley, camshaft ..etc

Edit you guys beat me to it, wow, team helpful in full force tonight!
Thanks given by:
Sorry to sound stupid, but I thought the cam pulley itself locked the cam? Or will put a drill bit in the cam hole still lock the engine?
Thanks given by:
you don't use the timing pins to lock the engine, only to time it up.

yes the cam pulley sets the position of the cam, so don't go turning it too far or you will bend valves, ideally you need a camshaft sprocket holding tool.
Thanks given by:
You don't lock the fuel pump on a HDI as the pump is not timed.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the previous replies, How do I lock the engine off then? When I changed the belt I locked it off through the starter hole and the cam sprocket? Obviously the cam sprocket is being taken off, so how do I lock the head? Regards Tom
Thanks given by:
You cannot lock the cam alone - so what I'd suggest is to place the entire engine at MDC (Middle Dead) (i.e. spin the crank 90*) and then remove the pulley - but you can't lock at MDC - once you've then done the work you'll then need to do precisely the reverse - what I'd suggest is that you note which way you turned the engine... So once you're done, time the cam back up, spin the engine 90* backwards, then put the pins in.

Catch my drift?
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by: