WTF Happened? (Non 306)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WTF Happened? (Non 306)
Hi guys,

Ok I know its not a HDi but it's still common rail lol, Vectra CDTI 150.

It was really low on fuel, ~20 miles on the range, petrol light flashing. Stuck a tenner of fuel in, petrol light still flashing, but another 50 miles on the range.

Drove 2 miles from the petrol station to Tesco, parked, bought food. Got back in the car, started it and it sounded awful, really rough and 'industrial', similar to when the Golf shat it's cams, I touched the throttle, it wouldn't rev and then died, no EML but the petrol light was still flashing. Thought the timing had slipped or the DMF had failed or something! Undecided

BUT tried it again and it started fine (took a few cranks as usual, needs a starter tbh) and then drove as normal. Now wtf happened there!? I can't search for similar issues because I don't even know where to start, what can just randomly cause huge issues for 2 minutes then be fine after? Confused Don't know if it was anything to do with running low on fuel, or starting it this morning without glowplugs (fail, mind was elsewhere, smoke was collosal!), I guess its just a coincidence but not sure.

Just to check it, I redlined a couple of times on the way back, no issues, and loaded it uphill (6th at 40, foot to the floor) and no issues. If it was fuel related I'd expect one of those things to have an effect. I think there is a small misfire most of the time, just doesn't seem totally smooth either going steady or under gentle acceleration, but it cold just be the shit roads and constantly bouncy suspension as it doesn't feel the same under hard acceleration! Confused

I'm stumped tbh, I've had lots of broken cars but not ones that instantly fix themselves, and now I'm even more worried about taking it out in case it happens again, but without fixing itself!

Cheers in advance
Tom
Thanks given by:
petrol light? petrol in a diesel!
Thanks given by:
'Fuel' light then. lol

I actually wondered if I stuck petrol in though, didn't get a receipt so cant check now, but as there was so little diesel in it to start with, it wouldn't have ran fine the rest of the time if I had done that.
Thanks given by:
Tbh it shouldnt rely on glow plugs first thing.in morning to start being common rail...
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
meh. it works. /thread
Thanks given by:
(13-11-2013, 08:09 PM)Jimbo Wrote: Tbh it shouldnt rely on glow plugs first thing.in morning to start being common rail...

It still starts without, just takes forever and smokes like a bitch for a bit, the PD was the same, I know theoretically they don't need them though that doesn't seem to be the case with every one. The HDi is the only common rail I've had that starts fine without glowplugs at any temp....one of the few redeeming features of them lol.

Don't know if this will be any help, but this is a normal cold start with glowplugs lol.... I think its just a shit starter motor, but something doesn't sund right just as it catches, and I think that's the same 'clatter(?)' noise that happened earlier, not totally sure though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiyrW_6aClY
Thanks given by:
If its any consolation Tom, Both the Skoda and Kia have done similar on occasions. Not the same symptoms but you can randomly start it, runs (if at all) like a sack of crap. 2 minutes later and its sweet. I just put it down to having a bad day lol.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Hmm, fair enough lol. There must be an actual reason though! Nothing just happens. Dodgy
Thanks given by:
It could have been crud from the tank getting jammed in the fuel lines causing fuel starvation, when it gets sucked up to the filter it spreads and the symptoms will disappear.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It's finally happened (NOW FIXED) DeeTurbo 14 7,301 12-03-2019, 05:39 PM
Last Post: dhdcdarchy
  Whats happened to Whippy? dr_jekyll 6 1,622 24-10-2014, 04:21 PM
Last Post: dr_jekyll
  What happened??? Icywalts 7 2,302 23-08-2013, 06:23 PM
Last Post: Toms306