Citroën ZX differences

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Citroën ZX differences
Hey Guys,

Excuse the lots of random questions but want to start cracking on with things.

Some of you may know I've got a ZX, I use it as a daily and run it on veg. As much as I don't want to spend money on it ( have the 306 for that) I'm getting a bit bored with it!

It's a 3 door Volcane with a Bosch and a T2, rear disc beam as standard.
I've got a set of GTI6 calipers here waiting but I'm wondering what discs and pads to go for? It needs rear discs and pads too so open to suggestions.

I'm happy with the height at the back and often carry loads so don't want to go any lower, however I wouldn't mind dropping the front 20-30mm. Can I use any 306 springs or do they have to be for a ZX? Obviously as it's not as popular as a 306 so it's harder to get bits for it! I recently bought a set of Xsara VTS alloys but these take flat seated bolts and I only have tapered. Suggestions on tyres for these? They currently have winter tyres on them!

I need a few bits for it so if anyone sees any at their local scrappies please give me a shout. Need :

Boot lock
Parcel shelf
Drivers side wing mirror
Tow eye cover
Flat seated bolts

Also I'm currently running around 20-22 psi which is fine as a daily but I would like some pump mods, too busy and not enough tools to do it myself but if there is anyone local to my locations and fancies helping out I don't mind paying.

Sorry for the huge ramble, when I have time I will put up project threads for both cars!

Cheers, Anton
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
306 springs will fit. I think the zx is slightly lighter so some 40mm gti6 springs would probably be good for 20-30mm on a ZX
Thanks given by:
Dan! Wrote:306 springs will fit. I think the zx is slightly lighter so some 40mm gti6 springs would probably be good for 20-30mm on a ZX

Think i should replace the shocks too? Yeah ZX weighs around 1080kg
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Depends on their condition really, if they work fine on the standard suspension then a 30mm drop wont cause them much stress at all.
Thanks given by:
As far as i can tell from taking them both apart they're virtually identical tbh lol. Been comparing parts from both since i got mine and am yet to find anything different.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Poodle Wrote:As far as i can tell from taking them both apart they're virtually identical tbh lol. Been comparing parts from both since i got mine and am yet to find anything different.

Body panels are different, and a fairly obvious difference at that lol

/pulling leg
Thanks given by:
Neh neh neh, bollocks to you. Tongue
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Lol. Anyone else fancy saying anything?

Wondering if 1144's are overkill?
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Got any pics of this French shed anton Wink
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
6 lowering springs will lift it higher than standard? they did with my Td
Thanks given by:
That's what I was worried about Dan...
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Use dt lowering springs then. Tongue Where are you usually based anton? I've just picked one up to and i'm not a million miles from chich.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Not many zx springs available and wasn't sure if they were the same size as 306 ones.
I've heard the rear shocks are shorter.

I live and work in Oxford, but have a gf in Chi and often visit twice a week.
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Ah i see, fair enough. Where's Connor with that there autodata, does autodata show stuff like that..?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Anton Wrote:Not many zx springs available and wasn't sure if they were the same size as 306 ones.
I've heard the rear shocks are shorter.

I live and work in Oxford, but have a gf in Chi and often visit twice a week.

306 springs will be fine, just won't lower quite as much due to the car being slightly lighter! (wonder what weight the 1.4/1.6 are compared to a TD ZX

Gti springs will lift the car because the engine is heavier than the XUD is nevermind the entire car being lighter anyway.

IIRC the rear shocks on some models (Volcane sticks in my mind as one) are slightly shorter but then any uprated shocks you buy are also shorter so I can't see it mattering to be honest, I'm pretty sure that most of the ZX range use the same shocks as the 306 Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Thanks for your input Mark, I've had a look and my zx weighs around the same as a 1.4/1.6 so might go for some springs for them. Am I right in thinking that because a 1.4 is slightly lighter 40mm springs won't lower 40mm? I want around 20-30mm.
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Any pictures of this? I would nearly swap my 306 for one lol
Thanks given by:
Other way round anton, you want the 40mm springs from a slightly heaver car, say the dt or 1.8. That way it would drop 20-30mm.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Front end will weigh almost identical to the 306 DT, probably a bit lighter. 40mm DT springs will be fine for a 20-30mm drop, probably the closest you'll get without adjustable coilovers.

Xsara VTS springs will make hee haw difference as they only lower the GTI6 by 20mm so on a lighter engine/car there'll be even less lowerage.

1.4/1.6 springs will lower too much as, despite the car being lighter, it still has the XUD9 up front which will drop the springs MORE than the stated amount.

Remember, it's not about the total weight of the car, but where the weight is located. Fire a 100kg ballast in the boot and the rear will drop but the front won't. Drop a bigger engine in the front and the front will drop respectively. Front end of as ZX will only be 20-30kg lighter, therefore the DT 40mm springs will be spot on.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
spax 306 dt -40mm springs only lowered mine by about 20mm.

Got some (gmax)? -40's and they dropped it about 30mm, got a pic if needed.

front subframe is narrower on a zx so the long driveshaft is shorter (if you ever need to change it)!
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the input guys, James a pic would be quality if you could.

Did you change your shocks too? Mines 18 years old so not sure wether to.
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
pic down there somewhere.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1217" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1217</a><!-- l -->

Yeh I fitted new shocks
Thanks given by:
James Wrote:pic down there somewhere.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1217" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1217</a><!-- l -->

Yeh I fitted new shocks

Black one is gorgeous mate, what engine is it?

Also the 5 door looks the same height as my Volcane does now.....
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Black one is 2.0L
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Differences between phases mossy1985 25 3,249 30-10-2014, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Eeyore