HDI Broken Conrod

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HDI Broken Conrod
Well guys, since i only posted about this in chat, i thought i'd enlighten you lot lot.

was on my way back on a roughly 200 mile round trip, all motorway/a roads and the poor motor lost a leg!

was about 160 mile into the trip and at 75mph on the motorway, bang, leg out of bed and oil everywhere.

It was dark and my insurance recovery wanted £80 to take me home (40 mile), dad got me in the end thank f**k, got the car home and in the daylight the next day i had a look at the extent of the damage. i could only see a crack with a seepage of oil on the back of the block, and thought something must have given way inside, either a conrod or a smashed piston.

only the next day when i was stripping it to take out the engine, did i notice that the conrod of cylinder 2 (second from gearbox side) had came right out of the block and put a big dent in the starter motor, aswell as broke it off the mount.

Not sure on the cause, must be oil starvation or something but turbo is ok, and oil had been changed just 2 weeks prior to this (albeit it was 10w40, but this wouldnt cause a fatal error)

Just thought id post as theres not much out there on '2.0 hdi conrod failure' lol

Edit:

Car was in standard tune, and i'll post up some pics when i get round to it!
Thanks given by:
Interesting to see a standard? HDI let go like that...

But very unlucky for you... Sad
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(07-11-2013, 08:18 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Interesting to see a standard? HDI let go like that...

But very unlucky for you... Sad

yeah, all standard bar a straight exhaust. No mapping and no boost raised or anything.

Have a new engine, from a 406 110 here, just need to swap the ancillaries and clutch over and get it back into the car.

have help from a few guys into peugeots so will hopefully be running again soon! Must be an oil pump issue.
Thanks given by:
Bad luck dude. Sad That's mad, would guess it has been hydrolocked in the past or something. Be interested to see what you find in the dead engine, any chance we could get a ton of pics?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
yeah i'll try get loads of pictures for you guys.

Only thing i can find so far was that the rail sensor wires were chopped, car ran a little lumpy in the mornings but once warm it ran ok, no management lights on or anything.

was led to believe that this may have had an effect but im doubtful.
Thanks given by:
The rail pressure sensor wires were snipped??
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
(07-11-2013, 08:33 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: The rail pressure sensor wires were snipped??

yeah im certain i noticed the green wire before and thought nothing of it cause the car ran ok. When we stripped it, the plug was just hanging there and disconnected. Might have been mistake and this happened when the conrod gave out, im 99% sure it was always like that though.
Thanks given by:
It wouldn't run without it plugged in. Unless it's been mapped to run without the frps, which i'm not sure is even possible... Huh
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
i must be mistaken then, and maybe seen the wires hanging but connected lol!

the wires have been cut in half, must have been the rod/a bit of metal on its way past
Thanks given by:
Yeah was going to say, theres going to be some serious issues if its running without that
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
some of the sensors have 3 wire plugs but only use 2 wire , the thrird is then plugged with a green plastic stick that looks like a cut off wire Wink
Thanks given by:
this MIGHT be what i was seeing. would make me feel a little less stupid if so...
Thanks given by:
Ooooohhhhh, that would explain it lol. Should have seen it coming really, standard peugeot.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
It has really put me off as I had planned to stage 2 it.

Got the engine cheap, it was the water pump, belt kit, exhaust manifold gasket, engine oil, gbox oil, and coolant that were expensive. Got them on trade too lol.
Thanks given by:
Ah, it was an unknown quantity when it went in then. :/ Hope it didn't come from someone off here..?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Got the new engine cheap, the one that threw a rod was an original with 137k.

The new one is an unknown quantity, but all my own ancillaries will be used so im relying on it being a half decent block.

Was on what looked like its original water pump, so im thinking around 90k.

The guy said 96k, but had no proof.
Thanks given by:
Ah I see, completely misunderstood lol, as per usual it seems atm. Rolleyes

I'm sure the new engine will be great!! lol Confused
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Haha I have no idea about the new one tbh, just hope it does run well!

As promised, pictures of the damage..

Back of the block, and what I initially thought was the problem;

[Image: yhevaqus.jpg]

Front of the block and what I realised after stripping was the actual issue;

[Image: ze7ere2a.jpg]

[Image: ave4apyh.jpg]
Thanks given by:
ooow Windows!
Thanks given by:
Few inspection points thats all, bitta cling film sort it you reckon?
Thanks given by:
picture of the suspected brokrn wire?

tin of expanding foam might be better
Thanks given by:
Figured out that the sensor has all three wires, and MUST have been me being silly or imagining wrong lol.

Its definately the rail sensor wires (yellow plug, green wires).
Thanks given by:
Thats mad, I cant remember ever seeing a HDi let go before, it's gotta be a manufacturing defect from the factory, hydrolock damage or serious lack of maintenance in a past life.
Thanks given by:
Hmm its strange, theres an almost full service history in the book, up to around 125k and it was on 135 when I bought it.

Then again, anyone can stamp snd write in a book so no guarantees with that I suppose.

The thing that bothered me is it mentioned 'belt change' around 96k and 40k on the belt was cracked and no obvious markings of it being 'aftermarket' so im not sure. Awh well hopefully the new one will last me a bit longer.
Thanks given by:
How did you miss that hole!? lol

But yeah, that's pretty impressive! As I've said before, service history means nothing, I've had reliable cars with none and exploding ones with full dealer history lol. I don't even bother with it these days!
Thanks given by:
I didnt pay for service history so dont worry about that haha!

I missed that as its covered by a lot of stuff when looking from the front of the car/above the car without anything being stripped lol
Thanks given by:
Haha, poor excuse, shoulda gone to specsavers. Big Grin

Seriously though, how's fitting the replacement going? Smile
Thanks given by:
Pretty badly, as I dont have flat ground, which brought issues with getting the old engine out safely lol!

Currently in the process if trying to organise a crane, if it falls through again 2moro it will be done on the tallest jack I can get a hold of lol
Thanks given by:
Oh right, bad luck!

I'd hate to refit one with just a jack though lol. Undecided
Thanks given by:
We tried fitting it with the jack but no joy, so had to tow the car 30 mile or so and do the work at one of the guys garage.

With the help of pulley blocks the engine was in in no time, makes like 100x easier having the right tools.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  conrod Kapi306 0 1,088 25-03-2020, 10:04 AM
Last Post: Kapi306
  ARP conrod bolts toseland 11 3,120 16-01-2017, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Ruan