Race Estate Fails its MOT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Race Estate Fails its MOT
Hello People! Unfortunately the Race Estate failed its MOT today Headlights, air bags, Pbushes and rear brakes can be fixed but it also majorly failed on the rear beam. Thoughts?

A ) Drive it home and dump it and then MOT, Tax and Insure the 1.8.
B ) Get it fixed for TBC amount.
C ) Put the TBC amount towards a gti6.

Im swaying towards A whilst B is carried out. Bare in mind I now live in London so wont be driving as much.
Thanks given by:
I have an HDi estate I won't need after next Friday...
[Image: MIRKxNP.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Just do what works for you mate.

Only you can decide whats best for you.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
main thing is the rear beam. Replacement is like £260/300 but there is no way I can get hold of one and get it fitted before the MOT completely runs out :/
Thanks given by:
£260/£300 from where?

You not got any local scrap yards?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
(07-11-2013, 10:44 AM)silverzx Wrote: £260/£300 from where?

for a new refurbished one. I dont have time to go to a scrap yard and grab one. Id have to get the 1.8 running and spend weekends finding and fitting a beam.
Thanks given by:
(07-11-2013, 10:58 AM)SRowell Wrote: for a new refurbished one. I dont have time to go to a scrap yard and grab one. Id have to get the 1.8 running and spend weekends finding and fitting a beam.

Mmm, working full time has its draw backs!

It's a tricky one..
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Get a 2nd hand rear beam for £60? get one with rear calipers already on so thats rear brakes hopefully sorted and only take a few hours to fit

Airbags see cully
New wishbones
Whats up with the headlights? ?
Thanks given by:
(07-11-2013, 10:58 AM)SRowell Wrote:
(07-11-2013, 10:44 AM)silverzx Wrote: £260/£300 from where?

for a new refurbished one. I dont have time to go to a scrap yard and grab one. Id have to get the 1.8 running and spend weekends finding and fitting a beam.

you have just answered your own question there,
Thanks given by:
Been quoted £1200 total to get everything sorted. D:
Thanks given by:
I could do with / would like a rear beam on mine due to slight camber on the o/s wheel, but I can't afford to do so for something which isn't strictly faulty yet, it still handles as it should. Just keeping an eye on tyre wear in case it has an effect.

In your position, I'd weigh up what the estate is worth / what you've spent on it already, whether it's worth keeping is then up to you. A second-hand beam can have just as many problems which aren't always obvious prior to fitting road wheels, so it's a bit of a risk which could prove costly in the long run...
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
How badly is the rear beam f*cked, you failed the MOT on the beam?
Thanks given by:
1200?!?!?!?! WHAT

I thought you sold the 1.8 long ago. It depends if you want diesel eco or bwarp. I'd like to own a '6 one day, imo if you can afford to fuel a 6 do that.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(07-11-2013, 12:05 PM)SRowell Wrote: Been quoted £1200 total to get everything sorted. D:

f*ck that!!
Thanks given by:
Lets get brutally honest.

The 1.8 isn't worth running compared to a HDi/XUD and GTi6.

It's just the way it is.

Time to cut losses?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
This is at the garage Poodle works at so Im not going to argue with it. i do think its a lot tbh.

Plan so far is to drive it back home tomorrow evening and leave it. Get the 1.8 back on the road on Saturday morning!
Thanks given by:
With all due respect buddy, careful - how do you KNOW the 1.8 is ready? If you've overlooked things like this on the estate then it's likely that the 1.8 may also have issues you are unaware of and you'll be stuck with 2 cars that aren't road legal..
Thanks given by:
(07-11-2013, 12:40 PM)vlj Wrote: With all due respect buddy, careful - how do you KNOW the 1.8 is ready? If you've overlooked things like this on the estate then it's likely that the 1.8 may also have issues you are unaware of and you'll be stuck with 2 cars that aren't road legal..

i havent overlooked these things on the estate. I knew the beam was bad but not bad enough to fail the MOT on! The only reason the 1.8 came off the road was because the estate was cheaper to run!

If it doesnt pass then so be it. I have 2 cars that cant go on the road and Ill have to use public transport at the weekends to go home. During the week im working in central london anyway so dont need a car for that.
Thanks given by:
Got a good beam that's coming off my 6 at the weekend? And I'm not too far from Alex either.
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Bent tests ftw.

Isn't there any members near you that could sort you a beam?
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(07-11-2013, 12:49 PM)Chris Wrote: Got a good beam that's coming off my 6 at the weekend? And I'm not too far from Alex either.

I may take you up on that at some point.

Unfortunately I have to be in Home this weekend and wont be coming back to the southampton area for a while. If we could fit it at the weekend I still wouldnt be able to get it MOTd earlier than monday morning. Which is when I have to be in London again D:
Thanks given by:
That quote is to fix everything including advisories, a lot of which is fairly labour intensive. Believe it or not we're one of the cheapest garages in the area too... :/

I've to agree with Vaughan tbh, Sam, that radius arm didnt even need a leverage bar on it to see the play. If you thought that wasn't bad, then what could be on the 1.8 that you think is fine... No offence meant to yourself, I suspect you think the same looking at my computer, but that's because you know computers where I only know enough to get by. Do you see what i'm saying?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
poodle have you got post from me?
Thanks given by:
Yea, well if you need a P-bush doing on one side then the other side will follow shortly after, then you'll take a look at the arm as a whole and realise it's pretty f*cked.

I always shove a complete new arm in, with new bushes and balljoint.

Chances are the original arm is bent anyway.
Thanks given by:
Go home at the weekend and rob the shit out of the 1.8 for the parts the estate needs?

But really sam if your ineed of a car that badly. You should have done this 3-4 weeks ago to give your self time before it runs out. I do this and really i dont need a car, could get by without one

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
I've still got Toms axle that came off his china estate that you can have for the price I bought it of him.

Where about in London are you?
Thanks given by:
(07-11-2013, 01:01 PM)Poodle Wrote: That quote is to fix everything including advisories, a lot of which is fairly labour intensive. Believe it or not we're one of the cheapest garages in the area too... :/

I've to agree with Vaughan tbh, Sam, that radius arm didnt even need a leverage bar on it to see the play. If you thought that wasn't bad, then what could be on the 1.8 that you think is fine... No offence meant to yourself, I suspect you think the same looking at my computer, but that's because you know computers where I only know enough to get by. Do you see what i'm saying?

yeh its all fair mate. Im not complaining that things are too expensive or anything. Its not even about the money its about the time. I cant leave it down here for a week for a new beam because I need to get home and to London etc. x

(07-11-2013, 01:14 PM)puglove Wrote: Go home at the weekend and rob the shit out of the 1.8 for the parts the estate needs?

But really sam if your ineed of a car that badly. You should have done this 3-4 weeks ago to give your self time before it runs out. I do this and really i dont need a car, could get by without one

tbh I wasnt expecting it to pass and i knew it had problems. I knew the rear brakes were crap so had replacements to go on. Knew the air bag warning light was on so got resistors off cully. I just didnt realise the rear beam was so shocking. I was trying to get it done last weekend but garage was fully booked.

The 1.8 has nothing wrong with it. It needs the centre console putting back in. Exhaust hanging and brakes bleeding. The beam hasnt had any problems before and it hasnt had much use since its last MOT! I know that logic isnt great.

(07-11-2013, 01:24 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: I've still got Toms axle that came off his china estate that you can have for the price I bought it of him.

Where about in London are you?

Might get there eventually but I think I am going to focus on the 1.8 for now! How much was it anyway?

The 1.8 is in much better condition than the estate. Its just that the estate is bigger, more powerful and gets more MPGssss.
Thanks given by:
(07-11-2013, 01:44 PM)SRowell Wrote: How much was it anyway?

£50
Thanks given by:
Hmm, only just seen this! Confused

I'll be honest Sam, I think the 1.8 will have more issues than you expect.... It's been sitting for nearly a year now. Undecided

It still has the cracked shock plate for a start iirc, brake lines have probably rusted by now (seems common on any sit for a while) and the beam on that may not be great. Gonna be difficult choice, I guess the best thing to do would be stick it in for MOT and see what happens. Don't forget you'll also need tax which is over £100 for 6 months if you use the 1.8 though.

Out of interest, what were the advisories that were gonna be fixed at the garage?
Thanks given by:
Tom has a point, cars don't appreciate being sat around, doesn't do them any good. Still reckon you've got a better chance with that in the available time though.

(07-11-2013, 01:04 PM)cully Wrote: poodle have you got post from me?

Yes mate, arrived yesterday in plenty of time. Smile
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thread of fails...small and large... Piggy 30 8,241 23-08-2016, 11:04 PM
Last Post: procta
  dyno fails...but check out that blower! Piggy 6 2,073 01-10-2013, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Dean
  Biking Fails! Jonny81191 14 2,583 13-11-2012, 10:40 AM
Last Post: cully