auto dimming mirror Mk2 ...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
auto dimming mirror Mk2 ...
i know cully on the other forum did a guide recently , my one is a little different so i hope i am not treading on his toes with my guide ...

i went down the scrappy today to try and find a seat to replace my ageing pc desk chair , one of the lads told me to try a jaguar s type to see if the seat was to my requirements . the seat was not to comfortable so i look about the car and spotted the auto dimming mirror ... mmmm i thought , i wonder if i could make it fit my car after seeing cullys guide on the other forum ! . remarkably it removed in much the same way as a pug one , and sat behind it was the exact same bosch rain wiper sensor as a pug ! . so just got it home and i wanted to see if i can make it fit , and with a bit of thought its very easy to modify to fit the 306 backing plate . now i have not yet had my new windscreen with the rain sensor holder as my car never had it fitted as standard , that was a project from when i first got the car .

so ok i waffle a bit , you want pictures dont you ...

[Image: IMG_1056Custom.jpg]

this shows the standard 306 mirror with the backing for a rain sensor

[Image: IMG_1055Custom.jpg]

and this shows the jag one .

[Image: IMG_1054Custom.jpg]

notice the fitting on this one

[Image: IMG_1053Custom.jpg]

and this one from the jag ! , the same holder but is upside down . and now time for the magic on how it all gets made into one .

[Image: IMG_1057Custom.jpg]

first get the jag mirror and look at the base of the peg , you should see a locking ring . its a split ring that pops off with the aid of a flat blade screwdriver . the ball should just twist out , now move onto the three pin wire that is stopping you from completely removing the mirror from the base . sorry i did not get a picture of this but removing the wires and the plug is very easy , you just need a pin to push the pin tang and remove it from the connector .

and you should have this

[Image: IMG_1058Custom.jpg]

now the same applies to the pug mirror , twist the back of it and it should pop out of its socket . i got my drill and a 2mm drill bit and went in at an angle , from the tip of the ball right through to the backing . then went bigger to 4-5mm bit to open it up a little

[Image: IMG_1060Custom.jpg]

then feed the wires through the hole you have just made and then reconnect back in the ball and cup , and put the pins back into the connector , like so

[Image: IMG_1064.jpg]

and then put the snap ring back round the base of the ball here

[Image: IMG_1065.jpg]

may be worth opening the end to get it back on with some reverse pliers .
and after that you should have this in your hand ...

[Image: IMG_1066.jpg]

the jag mirror on a pug 306 base :dance: Big Grin , i have not done the wiring as my mirror is wired differently to cullys so i will add it when i finish it off when the windscreen is fitted . hope this helps you find and fit one ...

Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Do you know which wires are which? Not fussed about the reverse cut off but which is + and which is -?

Wires are Grey, white and black as above
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
specifically for the jag mirror? Id check Cullys tutorial for the wires on the pug side!
Thanks given by: